Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 11:58 AM

58 posts, read 78,273 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a house in Oviedo. I like everything about it, the location, the schools and all that stuff. I ended up seeing the crime statistics for the area and it seemed less than desirable. I have always thought that Oviedo was a good safe area for families. I am not sure if it is more specific to the area I am looking in, or if this is how Oviedo is in general. The house is right near the Alafaya Square plaza off of Alafaya Woods Blvd across from the Alafaya Woods Apartment Homes.

Any input and help on the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
That's an area greatly influenced by off-campus housing from UCF which is substantial as a university with somewhere around 55K students. A drive around any of the neighborhoods around there will confirm that when you see many homes with three or four cars in the driveway and along the street. Oviedo while not large is fairly spread out and generally lower density, so it varies a bit from area to area. The north and east sides further from the 434 corridor are generally quieter/safer. You might also consider neighboring Winter Springs which has a terrific area on the north side called Tuscawilla that's very desirable too with equally good schools.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 PM

216 posts, read 271,985 times
Going to be very hard to find a safer area than Oviedo.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:39 PM

58 posts, read 78,273 times
Well, I was surprised when I saw the statistic map. I know that Oviedo is overall safe, but this area seemed to be the exception. I see how UCF could play a role in this too. Possibly petty crime and not really violent crime or any of that stuff. I have to check into it more. I will be at work, but I am going to try and post the picture later tonight of the crime stat that I saw.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 AM

9 posts, read 10,453 times
along Lockwood Blvd area very safety. many young UCF faculty and staff family live here.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might also consider neighboring Winter Springs which has a terrific area on the north side called Tuscawilla that's very desirable too with equally good schools.
This... I'd never explored Winter Springs much in the past, but with work I've been tasked with some pretty major design work at the Central Winds area near Lake Jesup, and quite frankly, am very impressed with the area. Check it out.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 AM

43 posts, read 42,207 times
I currently live in Oviedo and no issues in the subdivision that I live. Then again I live off of Aloma which isn't truly "Oviedo" but considered Oviedo. Oviedo is really nice. There is a Facebook page with 12,000 members you should get on there and ask. These people will tell you!

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Crime stats are so vague. I find they really don't tell an accurate story sometimes.
When you see stuff like high levels of "theft" or "property crime" you kinda picture home invasions and burglary, etc...when in reality it could be kids stealing each other bicycles or other stupid stuff like that. Even violent crime, could be domestic which wouldn't necessarily have an effect on the "safety" of an area. That's why people who relocate need to visit and spend as much up close and personal time in their prospective new neighborhood(s).
You could also move into the land of puppies, rainbows, and unicorns and end up living next door to the one jackass in town. Research+hands on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando