Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM

902 posts, read 1,093,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
This is because the "Replacement Window Companies" do a sales pitch. They want BOTH of you to be there so a decision can be made rather than having to do it twice or wait for the spouse to make a decision.

I had this happen once up north also - with a Window Replacement company. So I think it may be that line of products and how those businesses operate....but it is because they are looking to do a sales presentation (and they pressure you too!, not just give an estimate). Personally, I didnt' like the they were so focused on the darn sales presentation ... so we chose to order through Pella (but they're pricey).

We are looking at doing kitchen and the person casually asked this; but didn't require spouse to be present - and if they did, I wouldn't have considered them.

As far as pools...that is just the nature of the business. Swimming pool is a huge investment --- of course people get 3 estimates! We recently built a sizable pool and guess what....one builder wouldn't do the design until my husband came to appt -- well, that didn't work with his travel schedule so we couldn't use that company.
Timeshare sales are the same way, they need both spouses present for the presentation, otherwise invariably the only one present will say "i have to check with my husband/wife before signing" and they never do and there is no deal

its a "now or never" type of pitch, after the presentation they go in for the "Close" and they expect an immediate answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,304,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskolci View Post
checking Angie'sList and other rating agencies, and trying to set up appointments for someone to come out and quote me on replacement windows. So far, I have called 4 companies, and each and every one has said that both spouses need to be present to meet with the representative.

Firstly, I wouldn't use Angie's List. It's a scam.

Secondly, new windows are extremely costly, and the last thing a contractor needs is for a spouse being on the lien and not agreeing with what the other spouse chose.

We are an HVACR contractor and don't usually require a spouse there, because choosing a replacement air conditioning unit is not as costly, nor is it going to be 'pretty' in any sense of the word. But if we were putting in a brand new system in, say, an older home that previously had only window units, we would want both homeowners there so that joint decisions could be made as to where new ductwork would be installed, where vents are placed, where the return is placed, etc.

I sure don't want to have done work to the home, only to have the wife come home and see that we put a vent where she likes to stand and look out the window, or something like that. It can cost us money to have to redo work if the owners don't agree, or business, if the spouse "blames us" for the mistake, despite it not being our fault.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:32 PM

66 posts, read 83,627 times
Thanks to all of you for the input!

To me, where I am here in the Orlando area, being the only "Yankee" (what the neighbours call our family, in that gentle Floridian accent) to move in to this neighbourhood in 16 years, this place does feel much more Southern than the Chicago area! And since I had never had personal experience with a company requiring both spouses be present for a quotation, I wondered if it was a trait of doing business "in the south". Figured I would pretend to be single from now on, if that was what I should expect down here from the experiences of others on this board.

I understand the desire of a company to have both decision makers present, but when I tell them that my husband is in IL, and I am making all FL decisions, it does bother me to be told that approval is needed from the supervisor before someone can come out to make a presentation. I just find this rather off-putting, but to each his own. My money will go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: