Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post

I also don't think you understand what Disney is actually doing here. They're not taking away time from their park guest. They're selling tickets to access a park that is normally closed. In peak times, Magic Kingdom normally closes at 11. They have Extra Magic Hours about twice per week, which lets you stay til 1am if you're staying at a Disney Resort. That leaves 5 other nights they an sell this extra ticket where the park is normally closed to the public. They are not charging you for times when attendance is low, they are offering you access to the park when it's not normally open at a premium price with lower attendance numbers so you won't have to wait 2 hours to ride 7 Dwarf's Mine Train.
They're only selling this ticket on Weekends, and many of the nights were EMH last year.

I -GET- what Disney is doing.
I'm not daft.

They are increasing the prices of all products, but packaging it as a benefit to the guest- which it is not. This is the issue I have.
Peak pricing was a scam to raise prices a second time in a year, and hard ticketed events like this, really showcase that issue.

One could look at wait times of three days during Holiday 2015, along with wait times of three days during Holiday 2016 and see if peak pricing has impacted guest experience.

My wager would be, not at all.

... and this would not be of personal perception. It's merely a matter of attendance vs. staffing & riders per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
If min wage is going up do will the ticket prices. they are also building they will raise as long as people will pay.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 AM

341 posts, read 302,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
They're only selling this ticket on Weekends, and many of the nights were EMH last year.

I -GET- what Disney is doing.
I'm not daft.

They are increasing the prices of all products, but packaging it as a benefit to the guest- which it is not. This is the issue I have.
Peak pricing was a scam to raise prices a second time in a year, and hard ticketed events like this, really showcase that issue.

One could look at wait times of three days during Holiday 2015, along with wait times of three days during Holiday 2016 and see if peak pricing has impacted guest experience.

My wager would be, not at all.

... and this would not be of personal perception. It's merely a matter of attendance vs. staffing & riders per hour.
Oh Really? Since when was Thursday on the weekend?

Disney After Hours ticket adds 3 hours to Magic Kingdom day - Orlando Sentinel

So far only April 28 and May 5, April 14, April 21, May 8, May 12 and May 19 are scheduled.

Here's the official site

No, it doesn't take away from EMH.

You really should do your research and understand the issue before complaining about it. Universal just announced variable pricing as well, so it's something you're going to have to get used to, or not go, which is completely your choice. Just like those people going at peak times last year and this year. It was completely their choice. No one put a gun to their head and made them go. As a matter of fact, it will alert some that it is crowded if they didn't know before. I sure would question why the park ticket cost more a certain day if I didn't know why.

The other thing that gets lost in this discussion is the variable pricing only effects the 1-day ticket right now. I would bet 95-99% of families buy the multi-day ticket or annual pass. These increased in price, but are not effected by the variable pricing. Your 7 day parkhopper ticket costs the same no matter which time you go.

Last edited by life4orce; 03-24-2016 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: added last line

Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Universal just announced variable pricing as well, so it's something you're going to have to get used to, or not go, which is completely your choice.
The pricing is a non issue for me.
I've brought that up multiple times.

I'm trying to establish a correlation between population in the park, and price of ticket. Quantitatively.

On one end they are jacking up prices on behalf of the guest offering a slightly premium product, on the other they're jacking up prices simply because they can offering no better a product.

Similar conversations are happening on Disney forums who see this as TWO price increases in one year.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The pricing is a non issue for me.
I've brought that up multiple times.

I'm trying to establish a correlation between population in the park, and price of ticket. Quantitatively.

On one end they are jacking up prices on behalf of the guest offering a slightly premium product, on the other they're jacking up prices simply because they can offering no better a product.

Similar conversations are happening on Disney forums who see this as TWO price increases in one year.
You keep stating price is not an issue for you, but the whole time you're arguing the price increase, the two price increase, not getting anything more for the price increase, etc.

Those Disney boards are some of the strangest things you'll ever read. On one hand they will hate something with a passion, until Disney removes it, then Disney ruined their vacation because of it. Mickey's wizard hat at Hollywood Studios is one of the more recent examples. Everyone hated it until Disney removed it, then it was a tradition that Disney destroyed.

You're stating misinformation as fact and keep ignoring the facts everyone is presenting. You ignore the fact that variable pricing will not effect a vast majority of people who buy tickets. You ignore the fact, that one of your biggest gripes, what you decided to name the thread, "After Hours" ticket is a new product that takes away nothing from the regular guest and didn't bother to research correctly before railing against it.

You probably can't accurately measure the effectiveness of variable pricing based on the fact that most people don't buy single day tickets at Disney, but don't let the facts get in the way of a rant.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:45 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Disney is a premium experience. They are trying to cull demand during peak days via this pricing scheme.

They are doing because they can. Here's an idea, own a little Disney stock and benefit from it

DIS Stock: Is Walt Disney Co Insane to Raise Prices? | InvestorPlace

Old 03-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You keep stating price is not an issue for you, but the whole time you're arguing the price increase, the two price increase, not getting anything more for the price increase, etc.
No. I am stating that Disney has stated that theses up-charges are to benefit guests and spread the crowd. I'd say it's more evident that peak pricing and after hours events is more so a way to bleed a captive audience.

I know a few people who are intrigued by the after-hours because it would mean far fewer children, but alas- they see it as a rip off.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-world-resort/

Nearly every commenter has negative things to say about this after hours positioning.
We will just have to see how it does. I do know some people who will release attendance figures for that night. Certainly curious.

Will there be more benefits released in the near future? This seems incomplete.
Jon Trexler on March 23, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Can you please expand on the number of tickets to be sold? Add in the fact that it’s non-refundable, without that info the event is not terribly tempting. I would want assurances that it is significantly lower crowds than during the day or during a party.
Angela Columber on March 23, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Given the large increase in annual passholder fees, this seems high price to pay for 3 hours. The point of being a passholder or hotel guest is to get the free magic hours. So much for magic.
Laura Dakovich on March 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I think the real Disney magic is the company’s ability to keep pulling these upcharge events out of their hat.
Mike Thomson on March 24, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Unless I read something wrong, the cost of being at Magic Kingdom from 9am – 11pm (14 hours) on April 14th is $110. The cost of being at MK from 11pm to 2am (3 hours) on that date is $149.
I’d be surprised if this event is popular, but you never know.
Jon Trexler on March 23, 2016 at 1:45 pm

What about rare character meets? This doesn’t seem worth it.
Travis Mong on March 23, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
No. I am stating that Disney has stated that theses up-charges are to benefit guests and spread the crowd. I'd say it's more evident that peak pricing and after hours events is more so a way to bleed a captive audience.

I know a few people who are intrigued by the after-hours because it would mean far fewer children, but alas- they see it as a rip off.

[/i]
I find it humorous how your argument keeps morphing, and yet still comes down to cost despite your insistence that cost is not an issue for you. Statements like "bleed a captive audience" and "rip off" sure seem like cost is an issue.

You seem genuinely offended by these changes and offerings, although you've never stated that any of this personally affects you. I have experienced special after hour parties at several parks (probably to test out this very concept) and I have to say they are great. Whether you feel they are worth the cost is a very subjective and all depends on how you value your time. Many may feel it is a "rip-off" and I'm on the fence about the cost, but then again, those that are so offended at the cost may not be the target market. This is an extra ticket that no one is forcing you to buy unless you want to. It's just like first class on an airplane, you're all going to the same place. Whether the extra cost is worth the extra space and amenities is very subjective. Most think it's not worth it and fly coach, but some think it's worth it and pay 3-5x the cost you pay for coach. By the way, the airlines is another industry with variable pricing. I know personally, when I fly, I try to avoid the peak times and schedule my vacations around the cheaper times which is what Disney is attempting to do.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I find it humorous how your argument keeps morphing, and yet still comes down to cost despite your insistence that cost is not an issue for you. Statements like "bleed a captive audience" and "rip off" sure seem like cost is an issue.

You seem genuinely offended by these changes and offerings, although you've never stated that any of this personally affects you. I have experienced special after hour parties at several parks (probably to test out this very concept) and I have to say they are great. Whether you feel they are worth the cost is a very subjective and all depends on how you value your time. Many may feel it is a "rip-off" and I'm on the fence about the cost, but then again, those that are so offended at the cost may not be the target market. This is an extra ticket that no one is forcing you to buy unless you want to. It's just like first class on an airplane, you're all going to the same place. Whether the extra cost is worth the extra space and amenities is very subjective. Most think it's not worth it and fly coach, but some think it's worth it and pay 3-5x the cost you pay for coach. By the way, the airlines is another industry with variable pricing. I know personally, when I fly, I try to avoid the peak times and schedule my vacations around the cheaper times which is what Disney is attempting to do.
My argument has never morphed.

Disney is extracting money from both ends of customers- both to be at parks at peak times and creating off peak times to alleviate strain and crowds.

Anyone who goes during these 'after hours' times is paying a premium to offset crowds on another day- or, as some have mentioned are a separate market altogether who is interested in paying a premium to be at the park where there are few to no people.

This has everything to with money for them, and nothing to do with money for me.
It doesn't personally prohibit or support me going to the park.

It's just an observation about a new 'era' in luxury pricing for a good.
It's not mine to judge whether it is worth it or not, but I will point out you are consistently paying more for the same amount, if not less.

New MK Paid Disney After Hours Event Announced | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

There's a 51 page thread on DisBoards regarding this After Hours debacle- and 90% of the most die-hard Disney fans are unsure what the purpose of these after parties are, and smell a rat. Many seem to believe this is a 'beta test' of charging for EMH or higher peak prices for the Halloween/Christmas Parties.

Stop thinking I'm asking for a solution, a change or a hand-out.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:04 PM

605 posts, read 711,907 times
Quote:
but I will point out you are consistently paying more for the same amount, if not less.
This is the case with almost everything if you haven't noticed. Have you been to the grocery store lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando