Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Perhaps, but the evidence overall points toward more common reasons.
Ironically, the majority of the new crew with which I work are here due to relocation package offers given to them as a result of a severe need of qualified staff. These employees are from NY, PA, MA, and NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
I guess it is only retired people from all over creation that come to Orlando and buy houses for $180,000.00 and keeping the new car dealers in business.

When I left Orlando 10 years ago I was getting just over $42k a year as most of my contemporaries were.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I guess it is only retired people from all over creation that come to Orlando and buy houses for $180,000.00 and keeping the new car dealers in business.

When I left Orlando 10 years ago I was getting just over $42k a year as most of my contemporaries were.
This.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:

40% of Orlando area residents own homes, one of the lowest rates of homeownership in the US and while you were above the bell curve at 42K the reality is much lower for the majority with an average (meaning many are well below) median per capita income hovering at around 32K. It's easy to assess from one's own little world, but averages are what tell the complete story.

In terms of new car dealers, what exactly would be the alternative...our world class transit system?

//www.city-data.com/top82.html
Orlando per capita income lower than other Florida cities - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
40% of Orlando area residents own homes, one of the lowest rates of homeownership in the US and while you were above the bell curve at 42K the reality is much lower for the majority with an average (meaning many are well below) median per capita income hovering at around 32K. It's easy to assess from one's own little world, but averages are what tell the complete story.

In terms of new car dealers, what exactly would be the alternative...our world class transit system?

Orlando per capita income lower than other Florida cities - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
The working class of Orlando includes much more than the 200k from that list. The new homes being bought are not being built IN Orlando, they're being built in neighboring towns: Winter Springs, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Garden, etc.; rather, condos are being erect everywhere in the Orlando core, and very few people will buy a downtown condo -- much like in any other urban core, where there is a lack of single-family houses.
Of the ~2,400,000 residents who live, breathe and work Orlando, over 61% own homes -- right on cue with the national average.

As for the new car dealers, no the alternative is not the "transit system," but rather a used car lot, buy-here-pay-here, which are immensely popular among low-income folks. No one making $12/hr is going to go and finance a brand new Honda Accord on their own.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I have more faith in the National Enquirer than the Orlando Sentinel.

Here are some wage averages in Orlando:

Software Engineer $68,137 Operations Manager $56,908 Mechanical Engineer $64,086

Financial Analyst $51,545 Office Manager $40,268 Project Manager, Construction $70,567

Human Resources (HR) Manager $60,083

The "average salary" in Orlando is $51,000.

Surely, if you are in the 22-23% of people working in service industries you probably will never see more than $12-15 an hour or about $30k a year.

The Orlando area was the 16th-fastest growing metropolitan area in the country in 2014 according the Census Bureau statistics. Orlando is growing close to double the rate of population growth in the U.S.

Are you stating that the majority of people fueling the growth in the Orlando area are hoping to land a career in the service sector or fast food or are they more likely to be working with Florida Hospital, Lockheed Martin Corporation, AT&T, JP Morgan Chase, Bright House Networks, FedEx, CNA Insurance Co., SunTrust Banks, Convergys Corp., United Parcel Service, Aon Corp., Digital Risk, JetBlue Airways, Duke Energy, Sprint, all companies with 1,000 or more employees, or any of the dozens of other large corporations in the Orlando metro?

"The Census ACS 1-year survey reports that the median household income for the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford Florida metro area was $48,270 in 2014, the latest figures available. Orlando median household income is $807 higher than the median Florida household income and $5,387 less than the US median household income."
Orlando Florida Household Income | Department of Numbers

It seems that you have spent your career time un the 22-23% group and do not have a grasp on what people with experience, knowledge and skills earn in Orlando.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I have more faith in the National Enquirer than the Orlando Sentinel.

Here are some wage averages in Orlando:

Software Engineer $68,137 Operations Manager $56,908 Mechanical Engineer $64,086

Financial Analyst $51,545 Office Manager $40,268 Project Manager, Construction $70,567

Human Resources (HR) Manager $60,083

The "average salary" in Orlando is $51,000.

Surely, if you are in the 22-23% of people working in service industries you probably will never see more than $12-15 an hour or about $30k a year.

The Orlando area was the 16th-fastest growing metropolitan area in the country in 2014 according the Census Bureau statistics. Orlando is growing close to double the rate of population growth in the U.S.

Are you stating that the majority of people fueling the growth in the Orlando area are hoping to land a career in the service sector or fast food or are they more likely to be working with Florida Hospital, Lockheed Martin Corporation, AT&T, JP Morgan Chase, Bright House Networks, FedEx, CNA Insurance Co., SunTrust Banks, Convergys Corp., United Parcel Service, Aon Corp., Digital Risk, JetBlue Airways, Duke Energy, Sprint, all companies with 1,000 or more employees, or any of the dozens of other large corporations in the Orlando metro?

"The Census ACS 1-year survey reports that the median household income for the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford Florida metro area was $48,270 in 2014, the latest figures available. Orlando median household income is $807 higher than the median Florida household income and $5,387 less than the US median household income."
Orlando Florida Household Income | Department of Numbers

It seems that you have spent your career time un the 22-23% group and do not have a grasp on what people with experience, knowledge and skills earn in Orlando.
It seems you have spent your career cherry-picking inapplicable stats or making comparisons that fit your agenda. I quoted median per capita income, not median household income which often in this area especially equates to three or four residents per household combining incomes which certainly skews it beyond the original intention of one to two working adults. Furthermore your average salary information reeks of numbers from a site like Salary.com which doesn't deal with or include service sector jobs on it's site. What exactly does fastest-growing have to do with salary?....and yes I am stating that growth is fueled by people finding work in service sector jobs which are what is driving job growth in Central Florida. Anyone denying that is either delusional, a cheerleader or completely unfamiliar with the job market in the area. Which are you?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The working class of Orlando includes much more than the 200k from that list. The new homes being bought are not being built IN Orlando, they're being built in neighboring towns: Winter Springs, Lake Mary, Oviedo, Winter Garden, etc.; rather, condos are being erect everywhere in the Orlando core, and very few people will buy a downtown condo -- much like in any other urban core, where there is a lack of single-family houses.
Of the ~2,400,000 residents who live, breathe and work Orlando, over 61% own homes -- right on cue with the national average.

As for the new car dealers, no the alternative is not the "transit system," but rather a used car lot, buy-here-pay-here, which are immensely popular among low-income folks. No one making $12/hr is going to go and finance a brand new Honda Accord on their own.
Orlando is the topic of discussion I thought and it doesn't inconveniently for your argument not include the 230K who make up the actual city, which is the number I quoted. Not sure where you've lived but overwhelmingly people are buying condos and homes in the downtown core of pretty much every other of the Top 100 metro areas in the US. Though I suppose the difference here is that 2.4 million residents don't actually "live, breathe, work" Orlando since it's not in the equation physically for those residents who are spread out over 4000 square miles...i.e. there is no real core. In terms of car purchases, FYI there are a number of new car dealers who guarantee financing for anyone with a regular paycheck above "X" amount which is set at a fairly low bar.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
It seems you have spent your career cherry-picking inapplicable stats or making comparisons that fit your agenda. I quoted median per capita income, not median household income which often in this area especially equates to three or four residents per household combining incomes which certainly skews it beyond the original intention of one to two working adults. Furthermore your average salary information reeks of numbers from a site like Salary.com which doesn't deal with or include service sector jobs on it's site. What exactly does fastest-growing have to do with salary?....and yes I am stating that growth is fueled by people finding work in service sector jobs which are what is driving job growth in Central Florida. Anyone denying that is either delusional, a cheerleader or completely unfamiliar with the job market in the area. Which are you?
"delusional, a cheerleader or completely unfamiliar with the job market in the area."

None of the above. If you have skills, knowledge, ability and experience in a field (any field) you earn more than someone lacking those characteristics.

My guess is that you are/were among the 22-23% of people working in service industries in Orlando.
75% + of the others are getting paid for their value to an employer.

Please continue spouting all the gloom and doom while the real world moves on.

EP Employment Projections to 2021 - FloridaJobs.org

Orlando Ranks #1 in USA for Job Growth in 2015 - Cresa - The Tenant's Advantage

A sunny economic outlook for Florida in 2016 | Florida TaxWatch Economic Commentary - Florida Trend

http://www.orlandoedc.com/Orlando/me...5.pdf?ext=.pdf

Large Cities Rankings - 2015 Best Cities for Job Growth | Newgeography.com

Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Orlando is the topic of discussion I thought and it doesn't inconveniently for your argument not include the 230K who make up the actual city, which is the number I quoted. Not sure where you've lived but overwhelmingly people are buying condos and homes in the downtown core of pretty much every other of the Top 100 metro areas in the US. Though I suppose the difference here is that 2.4 million residents don't actually "live, breathe, work" Orlando since it's not in the equation physically for those residents who are spread out over 4000 square miles...i.e. there is no real core. In terms of car purchases, FYI there are a number of new car dealers who guarantee financing for anyone with a regular paycheck above "X" amount which is set at a fairly low bar.
Kyle, it's all marketing. You go and try to finance a new car for "$300/week." Any smart individual can see that the math won't add up. They're ADVERTISEMENTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando