Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 11:26 PM

38 posts, read 35,848 times

Advertisements

What is the job situation for hourly and salaried positions in Orlando, overall?

What areas of Orlando have higher pay scales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Why are you asking about the job situation when you seem to have such a strong opinion on another thread...

"FL minimum wage is $8.05 per hour. Anyone making $11 is surviving, probably with lots of credit card bills. Quality of life decreases substantially with these types of wages, i.e., $10-$12/hr. Some employers could actually pay more if they wanted to but elect not to. Other employers are barely making payroll. The fact is, even people with College degrees are having to take hourly jobs. It is estimated that there are over 5000 people in the U.S with PhD's who are working as janitors. (There Are 5,000 Janitors in the U.S. with PhDs) THat was in 2010!!!

Most people working these hourly jobs are slowly sinking into quiet desperation and many will end up in bankruptcy court.

Even 2 jobs at hourly wages don't improve things. In essence, people are ENSLAVED to a low end lifestyle or to debt.

Ideally, anyone with a College degree should start out at $30-$35 per hour and that's only about $60K! Just to pay back for student loans! The magic number is always $100K+ So, I think that only 20% of the population is doing well or extremely well, the other 80% of us are all debt-ridden work slaves. If you are making $86K and manage not to have any debt, you can do really well in Orlando. The problem with these low wages , is that you are trading LIFE TIME for low dollars and getting older in the process and never getting ahead. One day you wake up old and still in poverty or worse, unable to work anymore or too old to be hired. This is the beginning of an economic collapse in the U.S. Wages that don't match the cost of living. If the government runs out of welfare money to feed and sustain the poor, there could be riots and violence."

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...orlando-4.html

Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 AM

38 posts, read 35,848 times
That's my opinion. I would like to see the opinions of others. Why do you chase my threads and ask?

Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNOM View Post
That's my opinion. I would like to see the opinions of others. Why do you chase my threads and ask?
Probably to get an idea as to why you're asking (like, if you're planning on moving here and looking for work, and in what field, etc.)

Anyway, overall, wages aren't the greatest here (I make about 70% what I would in many other parts of the country) but finding good work has never been an issue here once I got the required qualifications.

Also, I don't know of anyone with a college degree from a reputable school making $10-12/hr. Even some of my friends with bachelors in Social Studies get close to $20 starting, so long as they hold a bachelor's. The main issue with Florida in general is the lack of degreed individuals (and no, I'm not counting degrees from places like Webster and Everest.)

Old 03-31-2016, 11:06 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNOM View Post
I find it suspicious when someone starts a thread asking about becoming a realtor in Orlando and then gives a detailed answer about the quality of life of the people who live here, then asks how is the job market and outlook in Orlando.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Also, I don't know of anyone with a college degree from a reputable school making $10-12/hr. Even some of my friends with bachelors in Social Studies get close to $20 starting, so long as they hold a bachelor's. The main issue with Florida in general is the lack of degreed individuals (and no, I'm not counting degrees from places like Webster and Everest.)
I know plenty of people with university degrees making $10-12 an hour, which is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: