Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:45 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,589 times

Advertisements

There seem to be so many fees and taxes to live in Baldwin Park it just insane. I see a 3-bedroom condo on the market for $255K. Condo fees are $400 monthly, which is high but in-line with condos with lots of amenities. However, the property taxes are completely out of whack. $4,740 a year? How can that be real for that home price and 1,307 sq feet? Anyone know what the deal is with Baldwin Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 02:27 PM

59 posts, read 171,745 times
A majority of the "taxes" are CDD (community development district) fees. Basically, in order to build the neighborhood the developer takes out interest free bonds and the homeowners(land) owners then pay back the loans over 30 years. Ideally after 30 years the CDD portion of your tax bill would fall off, unless the District takes on more debt.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Okay, yeah i thought it was something like that. Thanks...

Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
There seem to be so many fees and taxes to live in Baldwin Park it just insane. I see a 3-bedroom condo on the market for $255K. Condo fees are $400 monthly, which is high but in-line with condos with lots of amenities. However, the property taxes are completely out of whack. $4,740 a year? How can that be real for that home price and 1,307 sq feet? Anyone know what the deal is with Baldwin Park?
This property tax amount may not include the Homestead Exemption. It may be that the seller did not use the condo as their personal residence, and so they did not qualify for the Homestead Exemption.

I bought my condo last year (not in Baldwin Park) from a person who was renting it out to a tenant, and the property taxes were pretty high. The condo is my personal residence, so this year I've filed for the Homestead Exemption and my taxes should be lower.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 AM

60 posts, read 70,668 times
you get what you pay for...

Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I think That condo has an elevator and the hoa fees are higher because of it. The CDC fee is an and on to the tax bill and it's a bite. I think the condo's/townhomes are not such a great bargin in BP unless you can get in really cheap. I think they have higher fees than the homes. BP has the location which going forward will keep them valuable.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwulu View Post
you get what you pay for...
I think that's the complaint.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM

60 posts, read 70,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I think that's the complaint.
Then it's not a problem. If getting what you pay for isn't enough, then the problem is an entitlement attitude, and we can't fix that for him.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwulu View Post
Then it's not a problem. If getting what you pay for isn't enough, then the problem is an entitlement attitude, and we can't fix that for him.
Not sure what I did to deserve that comment. I asked a question and got an answer. It should have ended there, but for whatever reason you chose to troll. You don't think I know that you get what you pay for? That usually comes in the form of the price of the house and the HOA fees for the amenities. That's usually it. The CDD thing hiding in the taxes is something I had never heard of before, and explains why taxes are almost double what other properties have in Winter Park. I never asked you or anyone to fix anything for me.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
If you divide $4740 (taxes) by $255K (projected purchase price) you get an annual property tax rate of .01858 (less than 2%).

Given that there is also a CDD included in that figure, that tax rate would not be considered all that high in most parts of the US.

It is neither insane, nor out of whack.

If there wasn't a CDD spread out over a period of years, the original developer would have had to raise the initial selling prices higher still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...pment_District

If a buyer doesn't feel they should have to pay for the infrastructure in a new development...then they should look for a home in an older community where there is no CDD.

One way or the other. Nothing comes for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: