Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 AM

49 posts, read 61,770 times

Advertisements

hello all,

First post from a long time lurker. The wife and and I have had it with NY, the costs and the winters and will be relocating to the lake mary/heathrow area. I will be taking my job down and she will be looking for work. We have visited the Orlando area multiple times over the last few years as I have a friend in Longwood. We visited the Lake Mary area a few times and really liked it. We have researched and visited places to live and will be picking one in either Heathrow or Lake Mary. My questions is I want to know what it is like living in these areas? Also does anyone like Altamonte Springs or Winter Park? Is Maitland a nice area to live? Any input would be great. Also what is the best way to move our stuff down. Uhaul it or pod it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Living in Heathrow is a no-brainer if you can afford it and if you work nearby.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,922 times
Lake Mary has a lot of great neighborhoods that are not as pricey as Heathrow. Between the shops and restaurants at Colonial Town Park and the Downtown Lake Mary area (and soon to be Mid Town) you have plenty of options for shopping and dining. There's a farmers market every Saturday morning and a WineArt Wednesday on the first Wednesday of the month.

Check out the video - you'll hear first hand from residents on why they like Lake Mary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbVdtIFsP_o

Tanin Teston

Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,922 times
Here's one more short video on opportunities on working in Lake Mary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lSFAmUNH4

Tanin Teston

Old 05-13-2016, 06:07 PM

49 posts, read 61,770 times
Thanks guys, it has me even more excited to look into lake mary

Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
I actually like Oviedo and longwood more than lake Mary. If anyone cares, and I know you do.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:52 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I actually like Oviedo and longwood more than lake Mary. If anyone cares, and I know you do.
I agree

Old 05-13-2016, 08:16 PM

107 posts, read 137,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Can you explain why you prefer Oveido?

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,913,449 times
Lake Mary, to me, is ...... Plasticy. I find Oviedo folks more down to Earth and friendlier. Ppl seem to think LM is this "prestigious" place. It's suburban Central FL, LOL! Not all schools are great either. Oviedo schools are better overall. LM seems more congested as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 16,704 times
My ideal location is Longwood/Wekiva area. Coming from NC, it feels more "homey" to me with more trees and typically has larger lots. Heathrow is a much smaller area and more pricey than surrounding areas. Also, a little farther from most stores.

While I do enjoy Lake Mary and did live there for a little while, I don't think I would move back, it is getting much more congested and my husband is not a fan of the commute to work from there. They do have lots of great stuff going on though with the Farmers Market and family events in the park.

I try to avoid Maitland, the traffic is horrendous and I think it's difficult to navigate. Oviedo is nice and definitely a better price point if you don't mind the drive. It's just not close to any of our jobs or activities. I LOVE Winter Park, it has a unique atmosphere, very energetic, maybe one day I can afford to live there...

As far as moving, I would do certainly not want to drive a Uhaul that far. I think I'd have to try the Pods, I haven't used them before though so maybe someone else has some insight on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando