Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 AM

107 posts, read 137,625 times

Advertisements

Does a service exist that basically gives you a tour around town, not just touring houses to buy like a realtor would, like neighborhood tours, tours of the sites., etc.? Kind of like friends/family would do if you were visiting?

I'm thinking we will be moving next summer, hubs is a teacher, so we need to start actually visiting places on his breaks. We won't have a ton of time, so what's the best way to go about this besides just showing up, walking around and talking to locals? His job would not pay for the move, and we'd be moving ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
What kind of lifestyle are you seeking? Metro Orlando is HUGE, and as such, areas vary vastly in terms of lifestyles

Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Here's one: Orlando Premium Real Estate City Tour | Discover Leisure Tours

They have real estate specific tours; looks like their main tours cover Downtown/Winter Park/Lake Nona/UCF area and the other covers Dr. Phillips, Windermere, and Celebration.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

They have real estate specific tours; looks like their main tours cover Downtown/Winter Park/Lake Nona/UCF area and the other covers Dr. Phillips, Windermere, and Celebration.
Good find! If you go this route definitely do both (Orlando City Tour and Disney Area Tour)... granted I've never done either, but just looking at the neighborhoods each tours visit will give you a pretty good feeling of the different areas.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post

Thank you! This looks to be like what I'm looking for.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What kind of lifestyle are you seeking? Metro Orlando is HUGE, and as such, areas vary vastly in terms of lifestyles
It's going to depend on where he gets a job, wouldn't want the commute longer than 30 min. Interested in Lake Mary, Sanford, Oveido possibly (though it being more rural seeming lacks an appeal), etc. We have a small child so safe, quiet, clean neighborhood with easy access/walking distance to amenities is a plus. Thinking we will rent first then buy. We have a decent down payment saved, but admittedly need to keep rent below or at around 1k to keep saving on it. I can pick up work easily but am currently staying at home with the baby.

The most difficult part of this seems to be all the closed doors in terms of securing employment being out of state, which also makes it difficult to rent a place. I don't know how people do this. Last time we moved, I transferred within the same company so it was fairly straight forward.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 16,711 times
Those tours do look great. They don't seem to cover any of Seminole County though which is where you said you're interested in. I prefer Longwood and Lake Mary but of course it's much harder to figure out where you want to be until you know where you're commuting too. We lived in Lake Mary the first year after we moved here from NC but my husband wasn't crazy about the drive so right now we are in Altamonte Springs until we buy again.

I had no luck at all finding a job in my previous field so ended up changing careers but we moved here for my hubby's job so at least we had that. It is extremely difficult to find something especially from out of state.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf2006 View Post
Those tours do look great. They don't seem to cover any of Seminole County though which is where you said you're interested in. I prefer Longwood and Lake Mary but of course it's much harder to figure out where you want to be until you know where you're commuting too. We lived in Lake Mary the first year after we moved here from NC but my husband wasn't crazy about the drive so right now we are in Altamonte Springs until we buy again.

I had no luck at all finding a job in my previous field so ended up changing careers but we moved here for my hubby's job so at least we had that. It is extremely difficult to find something especially from out of state.

What was your career that you had to change in? Good point about the tours not doing much of Seminole. .. We like the idea of Lake Mary, Longmont, Alamonte, etc. But like you said, jobs come first. Did your husband transfer jobs? I'm thinking we will have to end up using a relative's address and stay for a bit who's in FL about 4 hours north from this area to even get looked at. Luckily DH is a math teacher, leads NHS at his school, and pilots new software training programs for his school staff so he's not your average teacher, which I think would make him highly desirable in this area. Well, we are hoping anyway! I think you're right though, it's still going to be a challenge to get down there during the times schools do hiring/interviews.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 58,683 times
A word of advice, it's going to be difficult to find your target rent in the type of neighborhood you're hoping to find. Orlando rents are pretty high. We needed a house when we moved down, and needed a good school zone for our kids. We ended up paying $500 more per month for comparable square footage to what we had in the Kansas City area. We love our neighborhood and its amenities, but rent is not cheap here! Good luck!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 AM

108 posts, read 118,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aislin View Post
Does a service exist that basically gives you a tour around town, not just touring houses to buy like a realtor would, like neighborhood tours, tours of the sites., etc.? Kind of like friends/family would do if you were visiting?

I'm thinking we will be moving next summer, hubs is a teacher, so we need to start actually visiting places on his breaks. We won't have a ton of time, so what's the best way to go about this besides just showing up, walking around and talking to locals? His job would not pay for the move, and we'd be moving ourselves.
I have a friend who lives in Orlando who was a real estate appraiser for years and is on disability now (thought quite able to get around) He may welcome a chance to make a little coin by showing someone around

send me a message if you want me to ask him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando