U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:08 AM

63 posts, read 56,016 times

Advertisements

I feel for you. Its hard to secure good job here without a certain job skill. Eventually, its swim or sink in this cut throat economy. How was your experience in School? Do you think you got a good education compared with your coworkers in Vegas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:35 AM

87 posts, read 73,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Don't blame you. San Francisco is a beautiful place but has bad government, thus the homeless and all the other bad things that come along with the ultra liberals. Orlando isn't that bad at all, but I don't know what will happen in the future.
ultra liberals do far more good for the world than you uber righties

Old 05-27-2016, 11:14 AM

3,681 posts, read 5,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
My roommate was stuck in the service industry sector working in low paying retail or restaurant jobs here. All the while he was in a program at Valencia for electrical engineering. He completed his AA and got certified in some specialty of ee. He found a job at a tech manufacturer which there are MANY in CFL. He now makes around 4X's what he used and makes a good salary. Sometimes you just gotta take the initiative to change yourself and skill set.
Very true!^^^^^^^

Old 05-27-2016, 11:42 AM

399 posts, read 626,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
ultra liberals do far more good for the world than you uber righties
sure. enjoy having less freedom, high taxes, long lines, less jobs, and all the other great things that left likes.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:56 PM

22,371 posts, read 21,213,079 times
Quote:
sure. enjoy having less freedom, high taxes, long lines, less jobs, and all the other great things that left likes.
There are pros and cons to both sides and the answer is somewhere in the middle. For example, in San Francisco Bay Area, jobs are easy to find, high paying ones with great benefits, but the cost of living is so high that you can have a comfortable life, but most will be renting forever. Less freedom is a mixed bag... gay rights, abortion rights, controversial public display etc are things the left allow that the right want government to restrict. I can argue against the left as well though on other issues, that's why the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:44 PM

5,778 posts, read 13,198,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamigra001 View Post
I feel for you. Its hard to secure good job here without a certain job skill. Eventually, its swim or sink in this cut throat economy. How was your experience in School? Do you think you got a good education compared with your coworkers in Vegas?
I think Orange County Public Schools did a pretty good job, I can say the same for my younger brother and sister who spent most of their public school lives at OCPS schools like me. My coworkers who attended high school don't seem any more or less well rounded than people I know in Florida

My original plan was to work into management at Publix, I could have started at $49k a year without a degree and only gone up from there, but my immediate manager made me hate my job, with his awful temper, micromanaging, nitpicking, and unnecessary pressure along with constant threats to discipline or fire me if I screwed up. He made my job feel like a jail sentence and I found myself turning into him when I was placed in charge, and since I couldn't find any other decent work opportunities I decided it was time to pull out before it destroyed me I decided it was no longer worth $10.50 an hour, plus I had not received a raise in a year because my boss cared more about profitability than treating his employees with respect and dignity

Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 PM

63 posts, read 56,016 times
Question RE: Orlando blues

Thanks for the info. I don't think one High School vs another High School is making a big difference. But I didn't go to school on Flat so I may be wrong. If I moved my kids into Winter park High School or a Seminole County Public school district would it take a difference?

Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,844,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamigra001 View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think one High School vs another High School is making a big difference. But I didn't go to school on Flat so I may be wrong. If I moved my kids into Winter park High School or a Seminole County Public school district would it take a difference?
Generally, yes. A better high school has better resources, more funding, and students get better test scores. But I do believe a lot of individual success falls on the student and the parents, too.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 AM

105 posts, read 161,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I went to freedom high school back in the day (if you want to call 2004-2008 "back in the day")

Anyways,I highly doubt I'd make more money in the tourism industry, Orlando is the low wage king of the US, even people with degrees don't make more than $11 an hour, and I make $19 an hour at my job in Las Vegas
In my experience I have found that most people here with college degrees make more $40,000 to $60,000 a year. Many others with masters degrees make more than $80,000 here. Back in 2003 I moved to Orlando right out of the military without a college degree. At the time I was making only $10 an hour. Since then I have gone back to school and completed my bachelors degree and make enough to afford a car, house and other expenses. It really is beneficial to have a skill set that will help you earn more pay. That skill set can come from a college degree but also a certification from a tech school.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM

23,034 posts, read 34,317,379 times
Quote:
LOL....10 of the top 14 cities economically are blue versus red, and of the remaining 4 not blue not one is doing it on anything but fossil fuel production. Conservatives love no taxes/no services, no progress, no laws unless it benefits gun ownership, denying civil rights to tax-paying minority groups or mandating what women can or can't do with their own bodies, no jobs that pay well for anyone but the top 1% and has the track record to show it with most red states heavily on the welfare dole from the federal government, most notably including your darling Texas. Only the rich or intellectually bereft could ever find that platform appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando