U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-26-2016, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
5,778 posts, read 13,200,142 times
Reputation: 3951

Advertisements

I had returned to Orlando in 2012 after my father had passed, I had been living in Las Vegas for 2 years before that and I just recently returned to Vegas 2 months ago and here's why I left Orlando again

-Lousy pay...I had to kill myself at 2 jobs to the tune of 65-75 hours a week to no avail, I could barely afford my rent nonetheless much of any sort of social or nightlife outside work

-Rent was too high in comparison with wages....and while working those 70 hours a week I struggled to afford my $400 a month for rent, and STILL could not afford a one bedroom apartment which averages $990 a month in Orlando

-Lousy job opportunities, I tried my best to succeed at Publix (my old job) but I was always seeking something that paid better, I never found it. I was putting in job applications and often having interviews in vain....seemed like $10 was the anti-DavieJ barrier I could not get past...no such luck in bar or restaurant jobs either even with experience at a 5 star 5 diamond resort in Las Vegas, I know I could have earned much more money than I did, however it just wasn't in the cards for me

-Traffic congestion, while I'm all for Orlando becoming a big city, sadly the local governments have either poorly planned or did not plan at all for the explosive growth central Florida has seen over the years, a lot of the current road projects going on now should have been done at least 15 years ago, even Narcoossee in Lake Nona has too much congestion

-The people, dealing with the people of Orlando has been like dealing with a bad significant other, the type who you continually vouch for, but everybody says is a toxic individual, and you put up with their crap until you realized everybody was right. The people who have said Orlando residents are not friendly people, I realized for the MOST part they are right, this ties into a toxic relationship I was finally able to cut ties from upon leaving Orlando, along with a myriad of family personal problems I could not fix and because they're personal won't be aired out here


I moved to Las Vegas 2 months ago, got a job at Caesars Palace and am now earning more money in 40 hours at this one job than I did with my 70 hours in Orlando

I still love the city of Orlando and itself and it will always be my home, my best memories from my childhood in the 1990s, graduating high school and onward are all there, but I had to take off the rose colored glasses and see Orlando for what it was

Will I ever come back to live? Maybe, part of me hopes so but I hope my career is far more advanced than it is now, I'm sure as hell not raising kids in Las Vegas
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 AM
 
23,036 posts, read 34,329,580 times
Reputation: 22825
Glad to see you're doing well Davie and wish you continued success. You're experience speaks to a majority of Orlando residents in my opinion and how the growth is unsustainable over the long haul. Sadly I don't think many get it yet and don't see any awareness or desire to inhibit growth or change the type of growth we're seeing. I shudder to think what this area will be like in 20 years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: US
22,375 posts, read 21,213,079 times
Reputation: 17544
I should write a thread on my experience being back in Orlando for 6 months now. I'm in San Francisco now and I was curious to see how I would feel like if the problems I felt here would seem less problematic than when I had moved etc. I can say my GF and I already miss Orlando and are excited to go back lol. It's amazing how clean Orlando is, how little homeless people they have, how nice the street landscaping is and how much better the traffic is... I spent 50 minutes just on the highway driving a few miles yesterday. I-4 traffic aint so bad in comparison!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 AM
 
63 posts, read 56,016 times
Reputation: 36
Question RE: DavieJ89

Good AM
What High School did you go to in Orlando back in the day? Do you think if you worked in the Tourism industry in Orlando instead of Publix you would of earned more?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM
 
399 posts, read 626,453 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I should write a thread on my experience being back in Orlando for 6 months now. I'm in San Francisco now and I was curious to see how I would feel like if the problems I felt here would seem less problematic than when I had moved etc. I can say my GF and I already miss Orlando and are excited to go back lol. It's amazing how clean Orlando is, how little homeless people they have, how nice the street landscaping is and how much better the traffic is... I spent 50 minutes just on the highway driving a few miles yesterday. I-4 traffic aint so bad in comparison!
Don't blame you. San Francisco is a beautiful place but has bad government, thus the homeless and all the other bad things that come along with the ultra liberals. Orlando isn't that bad at all, but I don't know what will happen in the future.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,196,501 times
Reputation: 6042
Thanks for posting Davie.

Your story proves that skills, knowledge and abilities beyond the minimum are required to live life anywhere in the U.S. With your situation you would have faced the same difficulties whether you lived in Orlando or Wichita Kansas.


Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I had returned to Orlando in 2012 after my father had passed, I had been living in Las Vegas for 2 years before that and I just recently returned to Vegas 2 months ago and here's why I left Orlando again

-Lousy pay...I had to kill myself at 2 jobs to the tune of 65-75 hours a week to no avail, I could barely afford my rent nonetheless much of any sort of social or nightlife outside work

-Rent was too high in comparison with wages....and while working those 70 hours a week I struggled to afford my $400 a month for rent, and STILL could not afford a one bedroom apartment which averages $990 a month in Orlando

-Lousy job opportunities, I tried my best to succeed at Publix (my old job) but I was always seeking something that paid better, I never found it. I was putting in job applications and often having interviews in vain....seemed like $10 was the anti-DavieJ barrier I could not get past...no such luck in bar or restaurant jobs either even with experience at a 5 star 5 diamond resort in Las Vegas, I know I could have earned much more money than I did, however it just wasn't in the cards for me

-Traffic congestion, while I'm all for Orlando becoming a big city, sadly the local governments have either poorly planned or did not plan at all for the explosive growth central Florida has seen over the years, a lot of the current road projects going on now should have been done at least 15 years ago, even Narcoossee in Lake Nona has too much congestion

-The people, dealing with the people of Orlando has been like dealing with a bad significant other, the type who you continually vouch for, but everybody says is a toxic individual, and you put up with their crap until you realized everybody was right. The people who have said Orlando residents are not friendly people, I realized for the MOST part they are right, this ties into a toxic relationship I was finally able to cut ties from upon leaving Orlando, along with a myriad of family personal problems I could not fix and because they're personal won't be aired out here


I moved to Las Vegas 2 months ago, got a job at Caesars Palace and am now earning more money in 40 hours at this one job than I did with my 70 hours in Orlando

I still love the city of Orlando and itself and it will always be my home, my best memories from my childhood in the 1990s, graduating high school and onward are all there, but I had to take off the rose colored glasses and see Orlando for what it was

Will I ever come back to live? Maybe, part of me hopes so but I hope my career is far more advanced than it is now, I'm sure as hell not raising kids in Las Vegas
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 12:47 PM
 
Location: In the hot spot!
3,681 posts, read 5,475,142 times
Reputation: 3600
Hmm, glad you were able to find something in Vegas Davie, but I think Orlando may be better positioned in the future because the southwest (Vegas included) is staring at an impending water crisis as a result of the exploding growth. I hear you about the lower wages, though. Unfortunately it appears it's not just Orlando, but the entire southeast region that suffers from it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 01:10 PM
 
23,036 posts, read 34,329,580 times
Reputation: 22825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Thanks for posting Davie.
Your story proves that skills, knowledge and abilities beyond the minimum are required to live life anywhere in the U.S. With your situation you would have faced the same difficulties whether you lived in Orlando or Wichita Kansas. Good luck!
Clearly not since he moved to one of the other most financially distressed cities in the country and improved on his situation.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
12,278 posts, read 8,957,692 times
Reputation: 15618
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly not since he moved to one of the other most financially distressed cities in the country and improved on his situation.
The way this economy is (nationally) one can work for a company based in Charlotte and live in North Dakota, and do just fine. I work for a firm HQ'd in Chicago, and as such, receive wages comparable to those up there. My previous job was similar. As are my friends'. You say you worked at Publix; not knocking what you did, but do you think you would have fared better at Safeway in MD or Pathmark in NY? Very unlikely.
I'm glad you improved your situation. Orlando (FL) in general isn't for everyone, but to knock it as some low-wage melting pot is ignorant. Too many people here work the service sector yet expect high wages, and then cry that Orlando has poor pay. No, it doesn't. It has poor pay if you're underqualified. I personally find the complaints to be ridiculous. After numerous travels across the country (and beyond) I've come to realize how uneducated so many Floridians are. As such, plenty of work avails itself to me and more. At the same time, so many cry about lack of jobs and poor wages. The jobs are here. The pay can be the same as anywhere else. Qualified workers, not so much. Your situation is what you make it. Glad you could make it elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
 
4,167 posts, read 8,396,539 times
Reputation: 2427
My roommate was stuck in the service industry sector working in low paying retail or restaurant jobs here. All the while he was in a program at Valencia for electrical engineering. He completed his AA and got certified in some specialty of ee. He found a job at a tech manufacturer which there are MANY in CFL. He now makes around 4X's what he used and makes a good salary. Sometimes you just gotta take the initiative to change yourself and skill set.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top