Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 08:23 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskolci View Post
I recently moved from the Chicago area to the Orlando area. More specifically, the far western suburbs of Chicago to the northern Clermont area. I suppose that is a suburb of Orlando? Therefore, I don't have a long term opinion yet, nor do I have a city proper opinion, but I can give you some idea of what I have found coming here from the Chicago area, if that helps at all.

The first thing, obviously, the weather. We left IL when it was -8 and snowing. We arrived here to temps in the '50's and sun. It was wonderful! We were in long sleeve t-shirts, the Floridians were in boots, winter coats, gloves and hats. I am told I will be like this soon enough. For now though, I just look around and smile when I would hear the weather report of "chilly, check on the elderly and your pets". Winter here is FANTASTIC!

While it is not yet summer by the date in Chicago, it is hot here and has been hot for a little while. This is why God invented air conditioning! The mornings and evenings are lovely, and that is when I go out and do yardwork. The middle of the day is for the pool. If you have a house, I do recommend a pool. We will certainly get more use out of the pool here in FL than we ever did in IL. Perhaps someday we will tire of the pool, but for now, it is one of the pleasures of being in FL.

I know July and August will be brutal, but we used to come down here to vacation during those months, when the kids were out of school. Now that I live here, I have no need to stand in line for hours at a theme park in the heat and humidity, so I figure I will handle summer just fine. We survived in the lines in the past, I can survive indoors now!

People talk of awful traffic on the roads. Being from the Chicago area, toll roads are a way of life, and I drive those instead of I-4. During rush hour, there is traffic on the tolls, but it is nothing like traffic on 355 or 294 during rush hour! I-4 is bad though. But, since I am used to paying to use the road anyway, I am not going to shy away from the toll roads.

Drivers are slow. Some are fast and crazy, but many are slow, especially on the toll road. When the speed sign is 70 in the Chicago area, you better go 80 or more so you don't get run over by a semi! Not so down here. 70 means maybe 65 or, possibly, 68. Again, some will go fast, but nothing like the Chicago area.

You will not find the selection at the grocery stores here as you will in Chicago. Oh how I miss my huge Jewel and my Woodman's! What I wouldn't give for a great Eastern European butcher so I can cook my Old World dinners for my family with the meats and seasonings that are required! Instead I have to have certain foods shipped down here, and oh that is very expensive!

My big, huge, major complaint down here in FL is the lack of work ethic. Workers are slow, so very slow, and in the process of having my home remodeled, I have yet to find a worker that actually shows up on time, works an 8 hour day, and doesn't leave cigarettes and garbage everywhere. So far, the only people that I have encountered that actually were efficient were the blinds company I used (owners from Gurnee, IL) and the glass company for my showers (owners from the state of NY). I believe many of the people that have lived in FL for a length of time are on "Island Time". It is frustrating beyond belief. How hard is it to finish a job correctly and on time?

And the smoking. There is a lot of cigarette use down here. Maybe where you lived in the Chicago area, it was the same, but it seems as if the acceptance of cigarettes where I was in IL was not looked at positively. Here, I don't find cigarette smoking to be that big of a negative in the local psyche.

Again, not sure where you plan on moving to in FL, but I can tell you that the people, as a whole, out here in the Clermont area are very, very nice. I have heard it is not like this in the city of Orlando, but I haven't been into the city proper to really find out. I know only that the majority of the people I have encountered out here have been pleasant and friendly. Strangers smile at you! I really like the friendliness.

Good luck in your move. There will be some culture shock, but overall, it is possible to adapt and embrace the Florida life and like it!
Thank you for your post...great to get feedback from a former Chicagolander! Coming from the near west burbs so I understand the traffic references. Yes, one of the "cons" i hear about is traffic so I appreciate the comparison. I have traveled hours and hours on 294, 90, 290 in traffic that crawls so if there is a tollway option that reduces traffic headaches that is good to know!

I be renting first but plan on being in the city or nearby Winter Park.

Your description of the lovely winter temps brings tears of Joy to my eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 AM

298 posts, read 579,437 times
[

Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGCC View Post
In general I would say the Orlando area is much better than Chicago. Much much better. There is a trap however if you are working age. Salaries are low in Orlando. The cost of living is low but so are the salaries. Compared with places like DC and Boston and probably Chicago they are way lower. So, the size of your nest-egg, or pension will be smaller than of someone that has worked in DC (for example) all their working years. If you intend on retiring in FL no biggie. However, if you see yourself returning to a place like DC or Boston to retire you might not have enough money to maintain a living standard that you are used to. To sum it up FL is a poor place to try and earn your fortune but a great place to go once you have earned it.
How about the fact that the COL in DC, Boston, Chicago et al is significantly higher.

If you earn $50k in boston you would need only $34k to live the same lifestyle in Orlando.

Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Orlando is a great place to live, however the salaries coupled with cost of living is just awful. The median income in metro Orlando is not even $30k a year, and 70% of jobs in Orlando pay less than $40k a year, and yet you won't find even a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $900 a month. Lots of roommates and multiple generations of families live together in Orlando because you just cannot survive otherwise

However, you have plenty of entertainment and dining options, great nightlife in Downtown Orlando, great food if you know where to look, and the city is very clean

Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM

156 posts, read 220,236 times
If you move here with professional job in line, you will like it here. I moved from nc 3 yrs ago with a prof job line up and have no problem surviving here. I started out rent a room with someone for 1 month to know the area thru my friend realtor. Went on Meetup.com to go to groups within Orlando to know city more. I ended up in lake nona and love it, rent high but many new ones building so they give special, i got one bdrm apt for a 1000 per month but amnities is worth it and i had first month rent for free so not bad. Now i got a house in the area. Life is good here. For the low salary true if u dont have skill but if you have prof job not hard to find job at all. Only thing lacking here is diversity with food and grocery. Other than that have no problem with fl, good weather is a good trade off. Miss the true farmer market in nc. Farmer market here is a joke compared to north Carolina. After going to a few of the ones highly recommended, i gave up. Traffic no problem as i dont go on i4, i just take the toll road and using sunpass oR epass is good way to save too. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Orlando is a great place to live, however the salaries coupled with cost of living is just awful. The median income in metro Orlando is not even $30k a year, and 70% of jobs in Orlando pay less than $40k a year, and yet you won't find even a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $900 a month. Lots of roommates and multiple generations of families live together in Orlando because you just cannot survive otherwise

However, you have plenty of entertainment and dining options, great nightlife in Downtown Orlando, great food if you know where to look, and the city is very clean
70% if thé jobs are your run of the mill McDonald's, Wal Mart, park concession stand, etc. That's because a good 70% of the work force is only qualified to do that. If you're qualified to do something else, you won't have to settle for a job making less than $30k.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-30-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
70% if thé jobs are your run of the mill McDonald's, Wal Mart, park concession stand, etc. That's because a good 70% of the work force is knot qualified to do that. If you're qualified to do something else, you won't have to settle for a job making less than $30k.
The people without the skills making $30k a year or less have to deal with the reality of their situations and for them that's what counts. They will never invest the time and effort required to move beyond their barriers.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:15 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGCC View Post
In general I would say the Orlando area is much better than Chicago. Much much better. There is a trap however if you are working age. Salaries are low in Orlando. The cost of living is low but so are the salaries. Compared with places like DC and Boston and probably Chicago they are way lower. So, the size of your nest-egg, or pension will be smaller than of someone that has worked in DC (for example) all their working years. If you intend on retiring in FL no biggie. However, if you see yourself returning to a place like DC or Boston to retire you might not have enough money to maintain a living standard that you are used to. To sum it up FL is a poor place to try and earn your fortune but a great place to go once you have earned it.
Professional salaries can be fine in Orlando, and given the lower COL and taxes in Orlando and FL as a whole, you can often end up ahead at the end of the day compared to DC, SF, Boston etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:17 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Professional salaries can be fine in Orlando, and given the lower COL and taxes in Orlando and FL as a whole, you can often end up ahead at the end of the day compared to DC, SF, Boston etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
70% if thé jobs are your run of the mill McDonald's, Wal Mart, park concession stand, etc. That's because a good 70% of the work force is only qualified to do that. If you're qualified to do something else, you won't have to settle for a job making less than $30k.
Correct, but even then, IMO, min wage in Orlando is going to get you farther than min wage in Boston or SF comparatively speaking, especially when it comes to COL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando