Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:18 AM

457 posts, read 624,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Sorry, usually when these things happen, it's usually the fault of negligent parents. But this time I think Disney blew it. This was obviously a beach used by their guests for swimming. They even had a lifeguard. If ANY of the lagoon could have possibly have had gators, it should have been closed to the public. Disney should have known better.
I don't think Disney allowed swimming or had a lifeguard. I don't know, I don't go there, but I just don't believe that anyone in Florida sets up swimming in something that isn't a pool. It's just too stupid and dangerous. Nobody is that reckless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,448,590 times
According to the news, evidently 2 of their children were walking in the water at the edge !

I cannot understand why there was a sign saying, 'No swimming' ... yet no sign saying ALLIGATORS ! The lake where I had a condo in SW FL had 'Alligators' signs about every 50 feet around the perimeter; and it was a large lake. We even had a small alligator that got in the pool one day ! evidently it came sauntering from the culvert across the road, and found its way under the pool gate or fence.

The management of that 'resort hotel' is in deep doo doo ... there is no pond or real lake or man made lake in FL that isn't a magnet for gators. They can run faster than you would believe, and cross streets at night, slink anywhere they want to go to get into water.

What a gruesome horrible tragedy, my heart goes out to these parents. But ! they were not using caution and certainly were not using their biggest organs -- their brains!

Lawsuits all around.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,287,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
I don't think Disney allowed swimming or had a lifeguard. I don't know, I don't go there, but I just don't believe that anyone in Florida sets up swimming in something that isn't a pool. It's just too stupid and dangerous. Nobody is that reckless.
Oh, yes they do! My husband's grandfather used to let him swim in the lake right behind their house. Crazy to think about now, but it happened. And the amazing part is that his grandfather was not a stupid or generally irresponsible man. I'm astonished that my husband is here to tell the tale given the number of close calls he had with alligators, venomous snakes, and other dangerous creatures during the time he spent visiting his grandparents as a child.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:31 AM

35,417 posts, read 20,786,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post

I went to the site-- the only swimming is POOLSIDE - there is fishing- fire pit-or camp fire-- by the beach- which I am sure gators don't like fire-- but no swimming or lifeguards at beach

Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,380,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, yes they do! My husband's grandfather used to let him swim in the lake right behind their house. Crazy to think about now, but it happened. And the amazing part is that his grandfather was not a stupid or generally irresponsible man.
Those were different times. In addition, your husband's grandfather was probably very familiar with local dangerous animals like snakes and knew that if you leave them alone, they will almost always leave you alone.

As for alligators, his grandfather probably also knew that night, dawn and dusk were more dangerous than mid day, that some months were more dangerous than others, not to chum the water, or feed the alligators, and that local hunters had probably hunted out most of the alligators in that lake.

In short, like you said, his grandfather was neither foolish nor generally irresponsible. He just knew things that would minimize, but not eliminate risk. Therefore, swimming was "safe" during a time when a degree of risk involvingchildren was more socially accepted.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Those were different times. In addition, your husband's grandfather was probably very familiar with local dangerous animals like snakes and knew that if you leave them alone, they will almost always leave you alone.

As for alligators, his grandfather probably also knew that night, dawn and dusk were more dangerous than mid day, that some months were more dangerous than others, not to chum the water, or feed the alligators, and that local hunters had probably hunted out most of the alligators in that lake.

Though knowing these things would not guarantee safety for your husband, they made it "safe" during a time when a degree of danger was more accepted.
Sure.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:39 AM

619 posts, read 1,607,776 times
This was a horrible accident. I grew up in Florida, camped for 25 years as a scout and scout leader. We swam, canoed, and fished all the time in lakes, rivers, ponds etc. We knew there were gators possibly lurking nearby, but never had one incident. I have a 3 year old, we are taking to Disney this fall for her first time. I have been to that beach at the Grand Floridian and I honestly don't think (until now) I would have had an issue with my daughter walking along the waters edge.
I can't even fathom the pain these parents are going thru. They are from Nebraska. No gators in Nebraska. Probably not even on their radar. I pray they can find peace, and that the little boy did not suffer. The rest of you can sit in judgement.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM

457 posts, read 624,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, yes they do! My husband's grandfather used to let him swim in the lake right behind their house. Crazy to think about now, but it happened. And the amazing part is that his grandfather was not a stupid or generally irresponsible man. I'm astonished that my husband is here to tell the tale given the number of close calls he had with alligators, venomous snakes, and other dangerous creatures during the time he spent visiting his grandparents as a child.
I'd bet my life on the fact that Disney has not set up swimming in lakes or ponds. They may not be warning people, but there is just no way they'd do that.

They cannot be that stupid and nobody would take the lifeguard job because they'd know better.

There's just no way. You've been misled. About Disney, not about your family.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:43 AM

10,105 posts, read 19,327,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
I never knew there were gators in this man-made lagoon. How would these people from Nebraska know that! Disney messed up. They should have had signs WARNING ALLIGATORS. Would that have spoiled their image? Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very disappointed in Disney for this.
I've been there many times with my kids, starting at age 5. I never saw alligator warning signs, but we never ventured onto the beach. However, if I did see one, my first assumption would be that its part of the attractions, an animated "fake". Indeed, they have such animated creatures on the Jungle Ride.

Disney said they have a problem with alligators coming in from interconnecting lagoons. When they find them, they capture and relocate them They should kill them, or they will keep coming back, bringing their friends! We've blurred the lines between animals and humans, imputing human characteristics to animals, thinking they're all so cute, friendly, and harmless. Then, when an animal acts like one, we're surprised

I can't imagine the sickening horror and grief the parents are experiencing. To lose a child, especially in such a manner, where was God that day?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 AM

I wasn't referring to Disney, just about people swimming in Florida lakes. They absolutely do. As for the resort, I've been there many times over the years, and I do not recall swimming ever being permitted. That said, I'd bet that most resort guests do not consider wading in a few inches of water to be swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando