Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,055,087 times

Advertisements

It is illegal to feed alligators in FL. If Disney is allowing this behavior it is time for the Florida Wildlife Commission to step in.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 02:21 PM

457 posts, read 624,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
To eliminate all risk, Gators should all be eliminated from the water.
Disney can employ a series of sonar and underwater cameras and track incoming gators and slaughter them upon entry.

Let's make Disney safe again!

Or, they could put up signs and deal with litigation.
Kids may still end up feeding gators at the Bora Bora bungalows when their parents are out at dinner.

I don't think you've got anything other than empirical evidence than a massive wave of attack gators are now on the loose within Disney property. Nor to me, does it matter that it's at Disney.

This is a state where nearly every body of water has a life threatening creature in it.
Regretfully that isn't known across the world.
If people keep feeding them, they'll keep attacking people. That's what gators do. I'm not trying to convince you. Fed gators start attacking. Don't want to believe it? Don't. Fine by me.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:35 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,055,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
If people keep feeding them, they'll keep attacking people. That's what gators do. I'm not trying to convince you. Fed gators start attacking. Don't want to believe it? Don't. Fine by me.
People have fed WDW alligators for years. 2or3 attacks in 45m years but the feeding of wild life must cease

Old 07-02-2016, 04:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 5,048,048 times
Quote:
I am not trying to deny that feeding gators can contribute to the problem.

What I'm saying that that bringing a microscopic percentage of an occurrence happening to an more microscoping percentage happening isn't reducing it to zero.

You can't monitor all of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon at all times.
Signage, Fencing/Netting and Information will help- but this occurrence may still happen again.

Being too cautious of freak accidents is a waste of resources.

This was a small child, wading in water, likely making rapid motion and movement- similar to the prey an Alligator is likely to eat.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:51 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,036,694 times
Why is it that when there is a tragedy, anywhere in the US, that somebody is at fault? There are alligators all over Florida. DW is in Florida, therefore DW has alligators and always will have alligators no matter what they do. To assume otherwise is delusional. I don't need a sign to tell me that, anymore than I need a sign at the beach to tell me that there are sharks.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I am not trying to deny that feeding gators can contribute to the problem.

What I'm saying that that bringing a microscopic percentage of an occurrence happening to an more microscoping percentage happening isn't reducing it to zero.

You can't monitor all of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon at all times.
Signage, Fencing/Netting and Information will help- but this occurrence may still happen again.

Being too cautious of freak accidents is a waste of resources.

This was a small child, wading in water, likely making rapid motion and movement- similar to the prey an Alligator is likely to eat.
Feeding gators doesn't contribute to the problem. It causes the problem.

Gator attacks are freaking rare occurrences. It can happen, but it's highly unlikely. So very rare.

Gators attack when they've been fed. That's extremely common. This was no freak accident. It's an entirely predictable and avoidable occurrence. Gators who are fed start attacking.

The odds of this gator attacking this child if it hadn't been fed are ridiculously slim. Someone fed that gator. That's why it attacked the kid.

If they continue to turn a blind eye to gator feeding, more people will die.

Everyone knows this in Florida - you can't feed the damn gators. If you do, they start attacking.

Disney knew it. They KNEW that feeding gators turns them into gators that attack people. They KNEW their customers were feeding the gators.

They could've stopped it. They chose not to. They removed the signs warning people of gators and then let their customers feed gators.

That kid is dead and his family has to carry the memory of how he died. None of that can be undone.

They can stop the gator feeding now, though. They can prevent the next attack by killing off a bunch and stopping the feeding.

They better do it. If they don't care about dead kids and grieving families, they had better remember the bottom line.

One or two more deaths and people will stop going there.

You cannot be too cautious when it comes to feeding gators.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 AM

3,974 posts, read 8,127,622 times
Quote:
Feeding gators doesn't contribute to the problem. It causes the problem.

Gator attacks are freaking rare occurrences. It can happen, but it's highly unlikely. So very rare.

Gators attack when they've been fed. That's extremely common. This was no freak accident. It's an entirely predictable and avoidable occurrence. Gators who are fed start attacking.

The odds of this gator attacking this child if it hadn't been fed are ridiculously slim. Someone fed that gator. That's why it attacked the kid.

If they continue to turn a blind eye to gator feeding, more people will die.

Everyone knows this in Florida - you can't feed the damn gators. If you do, they start attacking.

Disney knew it. They KNEW that feeding gators turns them into gators that attack people. They KNEW their customers were feeding the gators.

They could've stopped it. They chose not to. They removed the signs warning people of gators and then let their customers feed gators.

That kid is dead and his family has to carry the memory of how he died. None of that can be undone.

They can stop the gator feeding now, though. They can prevent the next attack by killing off a bunch and stopping the feeding.

They better do it. If they don't care about dead kids and grieving families, they had better remember the bottom line.

One or two more deaths and people will stop going there.

You cannot be too cautious when it comes to feeding gators.

I think it is time to quit flaming the boards . A tragedy happened. No one knows if this alligator was ever fed by humans. Should humans feed the allgators. No. Did they? We do not know.

Should we have signs everywhere in Florida warning about every danger there is? No . Come on people Use your brains. Things happen.
We'd need signs........warning that a child can drown in the dog dish in your house or in the bucket of water you are using to wash the car. Do you need signs there?
You would need signs that driving/riding in a car can be hazardous to your health in Florida.
You would need signs warning of the bears, the snakes, the spiders, the scorpions, the sharks, the rays, the caterpillars, the plants, the sea gulls, the cougars, coyotes, stray dogs, stray cats, your best friend's dog or cat in Florida are out there waiting to bite you?
That sun and sunburns can make you hurt or be sick in Florida.
That hot sand can burn you, the hot seats in your car, that coffee is hot, etc.
That touching a grill could burn your hand.
That pavement gets hot in the sun.
That we have lightning sometimes
That you need to wear a coat when it gets cold.
That salt from salt water can sting your eyes.
That water makes roads, sidewalks, and floors slippery and could cause you to fall.
That if you pick up a stick that falls off the campfire it will burn you.
That swinging on a swing and most things for playing in a playground can cause injury.
That eating a lollipop and walking or running can put a hole in your cheek if you fall.
That sticking anything in an electrical outlet could shock and even kill you.
ETC. ETC. ETC. There comes a time we all have to use our heads, common sense, and take the time to learn about things so we know.

And yes, I think that sometimes you can be too cautious. I feel sorry for the generations of kids today. They are being taught to be afraid of everything. They are being made little old people afraid of living. And if you look at it sometimes it seems more people get hurt today than they did when kids played outside, unsupervised from morning till the street lights came on.
Instead of crying wolf......lets live. Things will still happen but we can't just cower in a corner thinking bad things are all there is in this world.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,036,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I think it is time to quit flaming the boards . A tragedy happened. No one knows if this alligator was ever fed by humans. Should humans feed the allgators. No. Did they? We do not know.

Should we have signs everywhere in Florida warning about every danger there is? No . Come on people Use your brains. Things happen.
We'd need signs........warning that a child can drown in the dog dish in your house or in the bucket of water you are using to wash the car. Do you need signs there?
You would need signs that driving/riding in a car can be hazardous to your health in Florida.
You would need signs warning of the bears, the snakes, the spiders, the scorpions, the sharks, the rays, the caterpillars, the plants, the sea gulls, the cougars, coyotes, stray dogs, stray cats, your best friend's dog or cat in Florida are out there waiting to bite you?
That water makes roads, sidewalks, and floors slippery and could cause you to fall.
That swinging on a swing and most things for playing in a playground can cause injury.
That eating a lollipop and walking or running can put a hole in your cheek if you fall.
ETC. ETC. ETC. There comes a time we all have to use our heads, common sense, and take the time to learn about things so we know.

And yes, I think that sometimes you can be too cautious. I feel sorry for the generations of kids today. They are being taught to be afraid of everything. They are being made little old people afraid of living. And if you look at it sometimes it seems more people get hurt today than they did when kids played outside, unsupervised from morning till the street lights came on.
Instead of crying wolf......lets live. Things will still happen but we can't just cower in a corner thinking bad things are all there is in this world.
Thank you for some sanity. I blame lawyers for this stuff. Yes, things are safer than they were a generation ago, but people are growing up with the common sense of a sponge.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

I didn't read all your "That"s and kind of skimmed the part about how you think that children are being raised wrong. None of that has anything to do with this.

We do know that people were feeding gators. We also know that the people at Disney World knew they were feeding gators and knew that feeding them turns them into gators that attack people.

The signage problem has been solved, so that's done. No need to worry about them not warning people any longer. They are doing that.

Now they have to stop the gators from being fed. If they allow gator-feeding, it WILL happen again. The reason we say "a fed gator is a dead gator" is that they end up becoming pests and attacking people, so we have to kill them.

That's what gators do. When they've been fed, people=food. They attack people.

Disney must stop the gator-feeding. And No, you cannot be too cautious about feeding gators. They mustn't be fed, ever. If they're fed, they attack. It's why there is a law about it. NO FEEDING THE GATORS. At all.

When they're fed, they become Attack Gators. They attack people. That's what they DO. Feed them once, all bets are off. Per the gators. This is not an issue of people being ridiculous. People didn't create the whole "Don't feed the gators at all. If fed, they attack" thing. That's the gators. That's their rule. "Feed me, I'll start attacking you." They don't use logic. You cannot argue them out of that.

If you feed them, they attack.

This isn't an issue of Today v Yesteryear. It has been this way. It will always be this way. Until the gators change, we have to make sure they're never fed.

DON'T FEED THE GATORS! That is what Disney has to work on now.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:11 PM

For those of you who like common sense (or logic) come to a common sense conclusion here...

1. Gators who have been fed attack people.
2. Alligators are fed by customers at Disney World
3. (Conclusion)

Number three...common sense...the gators at Disney World will attack people.

What can be done about this? Well, we cannot change number one. The gators aren't very receptive to our explanations about why we'd prefer to not be attacked.

So, it would appear that we must change number two.

DON'T FEED THE GATORS. At all. Ever.

Have to stop the gator-feeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando