Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times

Advertisements

Why did Disney World build a beach(s) on a lake with live alligators? I am sure that Walt Disney, did not imagine that it was a possibility. Florida lakes, are not like other lakes in the United States.

Disney World should have built a gigantic pool(s) along all their resorts, with a barrier wall to protect visitors from alligators. Here is a video of a pool built in 2006. Disney charges so much money, to stay there and attend the different parks, I am sure they have plenty of money to change things and keep tourists safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILk5bAG3XTQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 04:53 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
That is a great question! I bet the beaches may be going bye, bye.

Last edited by froglipz; 06-15-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM

457 posts, read 627,217 times
Because they're pretty and relaxing and many people enjoy a sandy beach while on vacation.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Because they're pretty and relaxing and many people enjoy a sandy beach while on vacation.
I do believe they are pretty, but what about the risk of being eaten by an alligator?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
Along with a false sense of security!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 PM

113 posts, read 182,304 times
Default I suspect the beaches are done too.

This was always a risk. Small but a risk. The fact that they have only found 5 gators in that huge body of water is really kind of amazing. This means Disney is really good at getting rid of them. Other lakes that size would have hundreds ... and probably some very big ones. They must have thought if they kept the number real low there will be plenty of food for the few that do get in even for a short time and nothing would ever happen.

I have probably been to disney 50 times and on only 4 occasions have I seen a gator on property. One small one was in the lake at Coronado. Another small one was at the water near the bus stop at the Beach club. The third was in the Animal Kingdom lake where you sit to eat at Flame Tree and the 4th was in the Magic Kingdom in the water where you board to go to tom Sawyer's Island. You see that many in 9 holes of golf in many FL golf courses. So Disney really does an amazing job keeping them out but you can never be 100% because they wander ... especially at night.

A small child is definitely in danger on the edge of water. They are seen as food and will be attacked. If it was dark no one could have seen the approaching gator.

i think the only course of action Disney can take is close the beaches until they come up with a sure fire way to keep gators from getting to the beach (some kind of fence?).

Old 06-15-2016, 06:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
45 years, one incident countless millions of guests.

I think a chain link fence off the beaches from bottom to a couple of feet above the water wrapping around the beach area may be an solution.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
No beach = lower room rates at The Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
No beach = lower room rates at The Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts.
People who pay to stay at those resorts aren't on small budgets. As I said in another thread, there are ways to control wildlife population in artificial lakes with beaches: regulate temperatures. Its costly, yes, so increase prices. At least gators and snakes won't be trying to make homes out of them.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that there was only a "no swimming" sign at that very inviting beach where they have lounge chairs and where families gather for fireworks etc. To a lot of people that sign could just mean "currents" or "no lifeguard on duty", not "step one foot in the water and you might die".

As a child my family and I would visit relatives up in Redding, Ca. and would spend time on beautiful Whiskeytown Lake. For flood control they have this "hole" in the lake, that's got a rope around it, and a sign on the concrete saying "Danger", and this is the part that freaked me out as a kid, "Stay Alive by Staying Out!" So we never swam, or floated anywhere near there, and I didn't even like when my brother passed by it while in the boat on that side of the lake! We could always see it from the road on the way to the other side of the lake to the beach, and that warning always put a chill down my spine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAwG0URU_A

Last edited by Podo944; 06-15-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando