Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 51,395 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are currently in the UK and looking to emigrate to Florida. Please can anyone advise of any websites, info to help with emigrating or any personal advice of their own you can give. We want to look at all avenues. Best places to live, schools, work etc. Hope you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 AM

53 posts, read 51,511 times
Default Hi there

Well i am from the UK originally and there are a number of avenues you can explore. I would be more than happy to give you the details of the attorney i used who was fantastic. The options available are to start a business here, buy a business here, or marry an American. When starting or buying a business, the govt have now set up certain guidelines on what types of business's would qualify for a visa. Note you also have to employ a certain percentage of Americans. Since 9/11 they have clamped down alot on Visa's etc. I would recommend speaking to the American embassy in London to get some more info. Now interms of living and buying a home, i couldnt offer you any advice without knowing you to be honest. EG. size, beds/baths, location, what your lifestyle is, commuting times etc. Needless to say there are some great deals out there now because the market is in a slump. For example, a house in my neighbourhood, which is out of the way of tourists, but close to Disney (we see the fire place) 4bed 3 bath over 3000 sq ft and has a garage apartment is listed for $325,000. At todays exchange rate that is around 162,500 GBP

Im sorry i couldnt be more specific but i hope this helps

Old 02-25-2008, 06:45 AM

Question help with emigrate

Thanks cflfan for your reply, your info has been very helpful. We are probably looking at property similar to yours. Unfortunately I cannot marry an American as wife won't let me. I am a HVAC engineer so it would probably be better that I work for a company rather than set up my own although this is an option that we have not considered yet. It would be great to know what attorney you used as a personal recommendation is far better. Is anyone aware of any employment agencies that deal with HVAC - heating, ventilation and air conditioning of which I hold valid tickets/qualifications for all. Look forward to any responses.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 AM

53 posts, read 51,511 times
Default hi there

Ive got to be honest with you, unless you already hold a visa or an American passport, then the route of getting a job with a company will be so difficult, i suspect it would be a non starter. The simple reason is that in order for you to get a visa, the company which employs you would have to sponsor you, and in the sort of industry you are looking in, there seem to be engineers a dime a dozen, (to coin an American phrase), so they would rather employ someone local than have to go through the whole sponsorship process i would have thought. If you were going to be joining a company as the CEO or were in a field where only limited people held your expertise, then it would probably be different, but i fear in your situation you would unlikely be able to get sponsorship.

I will dig out my attorneys details and PM them to you

I may be wrong so its worth exploring, but in my humble opinion i dont think that route would work for you. You would probably be better buying or starting up a HVAC business and using that to obtain a visa.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 10,173 times
The schools here are nothing like schools in the UK. If you require that standard for your children, you must home school- or at least teach them after they get home from school!
East Orlando areas of Waterford Lakes and Avalon Park are gorgeous. You will have twice the home as in the UK for half the price. Expect to spend 175 pound on a nice 4 bedroom pool home here. You can have a look at my blog for information about east orlando at: eastorlandolife.com
Your visa is another story. Here is the lawyer I use:
Maney&Gordon
9421 Tradeport Dr
Orlando, FL 32827
(407) 857-1300

Good luck.... this is not legal advice and is only my opinion

Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 AM

90 posts, read 334,836 times
Default Winter Haven Florida...

In our town, Winter Haven, lots of folks have moved here from England. The gentlemen we purchased our house from is from England. As far as schools, we do homeschool. Here in Winter Haven you'll find some wonderful private schools. We also lived in Windermere (west of Orlando) that area had decent public schools.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Talking help with emigrate

Thank you all for your answers. We are still looking into it. Any more advice, help etc is greatfully appreciated.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,836 times
I am also looking to emigrate to Orlando. I am 21 ,a Trinidadian citizen and finishing a degree in Social Work by September of this year. I already have my VISA, but after i go and look around etc, what needs to be done so I can secure some measure of employment, such as work permit. What does that entail? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 AM

10 posts, read 83,977 times
Question home school/private schools

Do you know that cost of private schooling? I do not think that I would be able to do home school. Do you have to have the 'knowledge of a teacher' or would you say it is easy enough to home school. Any help would be great.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

60 posts, read 148,979 times
Hi,
We moved over to Orlando from Manchester 4years ago.
We bought a Sobiks Subs Sandwich shop that qualified us for our E2 visa. We went through Saun Knapp and Jim Parker (the best people for buying businesses from)
We have lived down in Kissimmee then rented in altamonte springs and then moved up to apopka which we had a home built.
We know alot of people moving over from the Uk here which we have helped.
The best school I recommend is Lake Brantly (in seminole country) that is high school. As for Primary schools then your best bet is looking for grade A schools in orlando.
We have an 11 year old and an 19 year old in our family.
If you have any questions, ask away!
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando