Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM

158 posts, read 371,686 times

Advertisements

I saw the first one in the grassy area near my apartment the day after Matthew came through. I showed it to a guy at my job and he thought it was a cottonmouth, which kinda freaked me out, especially since my 2 year old son almost stepped on it. I only pulled him away from it because I thought it was dog poop at first. Since then I've been a lot more careful about looking down when I'm walking my dog through the grass, but I figured the snake was just displaced by the storm and it was an isolated incident...until tonight. I saw the second one on a sidewalk, again while walking the dog, and I'm pretty sure it's a baby version of the first snake I saw. Can anyone say for sure what type of snake these are? And what should be the appropriate level of freakout here?
Attached Thumbnails
Any Snake Experts Here?-2016-10-17-21.55.46.jpg   Any Snake Experts Here?-2016-10-17-21.54.24.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
The first does appear to be a water moccasin aka cottonmouth. Very dangerous, take all precautions to stay far away from it, they have been known to be very aggressive. The second appears to be a common water snake. Looks alot like a water moccasin but no deadly. These guys do tend to show up in weird places after large storms but will settle back into their natural habitat after awhile. Until than please be careful.

ps-I am not a snake expert, these are my opinions based on having grown up around the water in Florida for a very long time. Also any in general most snakes with a diamond shaped head and thick muscular body are venomous.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM

14 posts, read 24,837 times
Not a snake expert, but I know that snakes with triangle shaped heads = poisonous - and that does sorta look like a water moccasin - just google Cottonmouth images -

Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM

515 posts, read 623,832 times
Wow. Not a snake expert but definitely a cotton mouth/water moccasin. Definitely dangerous. Definitely deadly. Not good for you or a child. Get someone out there and keep your son close to you.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM

158 posts, read 371,686 times
Thanks, guys. The guy I talked to at work said the same thing about the diamond-shaped head; whatever it is, it's poisonous. I wonder if I should tell my apartment management about this. Is there even anything they can do about them?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
To me the first shot looks more like a banded water snake in defensive mode. It flattens and flares its head out to look like a moccasin.

I could be wrong. The body stripes don't match up to a mocassin's to me.

Mocassin's swim on top of the water.

In any case I hope you choose to have it relocated and not killed.

Also, mocassin's eyes are on the sides of the head so you wouldn't really see them from
the top of the head . The angle of the photo is a bit confusing. Also can't see a distinct neck/ head in the photo. A mocker's head is huge.

They also have thick bodies. Baby black racers are often mistaken for baby mocker's.

Google banded water snake. You'll even see photos where it's clearly a water snake but is labeled as a mocassin. That's the problem with googling stuff- I spot misidentified raptors quite frequently,

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-18-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Also cotton mouths have elliptical cat-eye pupils. Not round. Hard to tell in this photo.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:09 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
It looks like a Southern Water Snake, non poisonous. When in doubt - avoid.

My experience with the poisonous water snakes, they are VERY aggressive and will readily come to you for an encounter.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
^^^ No they are not "VERY aggressive"...other than that they will bite you if you put your hand in front of them.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:45 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The body thickness of the first snake and the posture I'd lean towards cottonmouth but there are lots of watersnakes that mimic them so I'd go 80% based upon picture quality etc.

The second snake is too long and slender to be one of the venomous species imo.

There is a venomous snake forum at kingsnake.com where they will 100% identify it for you. Several of the regular posters on that forum I've seen on national geographic shows, or run reptile houses, PHD venom researchers etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando