Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM

53 posts, read 193,357 times

Advertisements

I am going to buy a second home in Central Florida, but, I am two years away from living there on a regular basis. Would a gated community give me alot more security than a community with no gate? Either way my house will have a security system. Davenport Estates gated vs. Covington Chase non-gated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Gated. This is Central Florida

Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,034 times
Gated, but it really depends more on the area. I lived in a gated apartment complex in a semi-rough area that felt more unsafe than my current, non-gated apartment complex in a nicer area.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Gated doesn't always mean anything. I know the gate codes to three communities near where I live, and I've sure anyone who ever did lawn service or delivered pizza to them does as well.

If there's no guard, gated is generally meaningless.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:50 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Honestly, I never understood the point of gated communities areas that are already considered pretty safe (DP, windermere etc.)

Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 AM

848 posts, read 1,952,396 times
Gated communities keep random drivers from cruising around the neighborhood at all hours of the night.

HOWEVER, ascertain how often the gate code is changed. I know a community close to me that changes it monthly. It should be changed after each new construction and on a regular schedule to minimize unwanted traffic.

That's the best communities can do and no code is sacred. Communities with a staffed guard house are not necessarily safer either. Service/construction workers need the code and there's no telling how many have it or to whom they pass it.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
The community I live in has no codes. There are two ways to get in. Either have a sticker on your car--and each car has a unique bar code, so if you move or sell the car, they will cancel that sticker out of the system or pass through the guarded gate.

If you don't have a sticker to trip the gate (and we have a gate and an arm to alleviate piggy-backing) you need to be let in by the guard. You would either need to be on a "permanent guest list" of the home you are visiting, or wait for the guard to call the hosue, make sure you are expected/wanted, and then the guard checks your ID and lets you in.

It's not perfect, but it definitely keeps the majority of unwanted people out of the community.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,617 times
Area you live in more than gates.

When I appraised homes; most gates were open in the morning and afternoons for school buses.

If closed then 1 or more cars (service vehicles etc.) would "hang" out until someone opened the gate and we would sneak in behind and have no problems.

False security unless it is gated and manned and patroled.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Gated doesn't always mean anything. I know the gate codes to three communities near where I live, and I've sure anyone who ever did lawn service or delivered pizza to them does as well.

If there's no guard, gated is generally meaningless.
Exactly...if there is no guard, gated is meaningless. Our real estate agent got us into every single gated community with no appointment. He has a list of the 'three most common gate codes' and it got us into every single community we wanted. If he knows this, you can bet the criminals do as well. Imagine how many teenagers give out their codes....and to whom.

Unless you have a guard, or a bar coded system, like Annerk describes...I would not ascribe any security to a gated community.

Choose the best safest neighborhood you can afford, your home will hold its value better that way anyway!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM

53 posts, read 193,357 times
Thanks for all of your opions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando