Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 11:19 PM

70 posts, read 73,896 times

Advertisements

My newly purchased condo is in this school district.
Daughter is in 12th grade, highly ambitious and an AP Student in most classes, especially the Sciences.
TBH, Have heard some horrible things, but just as nice things, too. Not sure which to believe.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 11:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
It's likely somewhere in the middle. Lyman has a pretty extensive choice of AP classes from what I've heard. There are issues there, but nothing I've heard that is overly worrisome. You may want to look into finding a way to attend nearby Lake Brantley or Lake Howell if you're uncomfortable with Lyman. I heard somewhere that in Seminole county high schoolers could attend the school of their choice if they provided thier own transportation. I could be very wrong but some reason I feel like I've heard that. Hopefully some more informed parents can jump in and give a better perspective.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:04 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
It's likely somewhere in the middle. Lyman has a pretty extensive choice of AP classes from what I've heard. There are issues there, but nothing I've heard that is overly worrisome. You may want to look into finding a way to attend nearby Lake Brantley or Lake Howell if you're uncomfortable with Lyman. I heard somewhere that in Seminole county high schoolers could attend the school of their choice if they provided thier own transportation. I could be very wrong but some reason I feel like I've heard that. Hopefully some more informed parents can jump in and give a better perspective.
Yeah I heard that too after I moved, and once I looked into it found out that it was not true. You must meet one of the criteria below to make you eligible for a transfer, and this is only if the target school has available space:

Choices > Transfers > Types of Transfers Defined

The new school choice bill starts in 2017 in which your child can go to any school you can drive to. However, still the school must have space available and your child is then randomly selected among the pool of other transfer applicants. Any of the desirable schools will surely have scores of people trying to transfer to kids to them.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:32 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Yeah I heard that too after I moved, and once I looked into it found out that it was not true. You must meet one of the criteria below to make you eligible for a transfer, and this is only if the target school has available space:

The new school choice bill starts in 2017 in which your child can go to any school you can drive to. However, still the school must have space available and your child is then randomly selected among the pool of other transfer applicants. Any of the desirable schools will surely have scores of people trying to transfer to kids to them.
I wouldn't worry too much. Seminole County in general has good schools, Lyman included.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Lyman is a racially diverse high school (45% economically disadvantaged) that manages to pull off higher test scores due to it's AP classes and Engineering magnet program. If your daughter is a good student immersed in AP classes with a year to go I cannot imagine any issues, as it's most certainly not something out of bad "B" movie with an inner city vibe if that's your concern. Lyman High School in Longwood, FL | US News Best High Schools

Old 12-11-2016, 03:59 PM

70 posts, read 73,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

2017 starts in 1 month, or do you think it is the 2017-2018 year? We are also considering virtual school, which I guess is alot like homeschool. We had a uber driver say this about Lyman..."Its ok since the shooting that happened here". WEll, that scared me lol

Old 12-13-2016, 12:42 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdallasamy View Post
2017 starts in 1 month, or do you think it is the 2017-2018 year? We are also considering virtual school, which I guess is alot like homeschool. We had a uber driver say this about Lyman..."Its ok since the shooting that happened here". WEll, that scared me lol
Hmm...not really sure about that one. I would just start dialing numbers on the Seminole county school website until you can get to the right person to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando