Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I totally agree with a lot of your points, but I wouldn't say the Magic don't have a strong fanbase. The team is absolutely terrible, and more and more fans are realizing that the rebuild is a failure. Consistent winning is a long way off for this team. There are only a select few NBA cities that will still fill arenas when they are bad. Orlando is like most areas that when the team sucks, you don't pay your hard earned dollars to go see them. They are currently #15 in attendance, which is really not bad.

That said, I think baseball would be a huge failure here. Not enough disposable income for too many people, and far too many games on the schedule to support. NFL would do fine I think, but the Jags support is acceptable for their record and outlook. They would fare no better here.
Ok so with that Being said when the Rays went to the World Series years ago I could remember the entire state rooting for them, even the Marlins fanbase supported them. Winning changes things. Heck the Cubs just won after over a 100 years. I dont like the whole taking other cities team thing. I wouldnt want the Magic in Jacksonville or Tampa, I wouldnt want the Jaguars in Orlando and I wouldnt want the Rays in Orlando. I still dont like the fact the Rams left St Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:56 PM

140 posts, read 320,176 times
The Rays play the 18th largest US metropolitan market and don't draw well.

Why would moving to the 24th largest market, more than a half a million people less, be helpful?

And the Tampa & St. Pete communities are currently working on plans to build a better ballpark for them.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post

Why would moving to the 24th largest market, more than a half a million people less, be helpful?

And the Tampa & St. Pete communities are currently working on plans to build a better ballpark for them.
They have been working on this so called plan for what about 6 or 7 years now.
Baseball needs to move out of Florida period.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
They have been working on this so called plan for what about 6 or 7 years now.
Baseball needs to move out of Florida period.
I disagree. It could be much better if it were properly managed. The Babe Ruth leagues are extremely successful all throughout. Baseball is very popular in FL. There is just little to no promotion for the Rays, which is a shame. If hockey can do so well in Tampa, then so can baseball.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor35 View Post

I dont know why people in Orlando would this idea is ok. Why does the Rays have to be Orlando's team for Orlando folks to cheer for them or support? Orlando isnt any less because they dont have an NFL or MLB team in major sports. People in Orlando shouldnt feel so inferior to want other metros teams. Especially from the same state.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I disagree. It could be much better if it were properly managed. The Babe Ruth leagues are extremely successful all throughout. Baseball is very popular in FL. There is just little to no promotion for the Rays, which is a shame. If hockey can do so well in Tampa, then so can baseball.
Managed how? What more do you want the MLB to do to keep teams here? Maybe Tampa's populations doesn't need or want baseball is what I'm saying.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:19 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Managed how? What more do you want the MLB to do to keep teams here? Maybe Tampa's populations doesn't need or want baseball is what I'm saying.
That's possible, I agree. However, compared to the Lightning, the Bucs, and here the Orlando City Soccer Club and the Magic, they receive next to no publicity and promotion. Heck, even the Solar Bears get more promotion. You rarely ever see the Rays up on billboards or mentioned in TV and radio ads. It's pathetic.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
That's possible, I agree. However, compared to the Lightning, the Bucs, and here the Orlando City Soccer Club and the Magic, they receive next to no publicity and promotion. Heck, even the Solar Bears get more promotion. You rarely ever see the Rays up on billboards or mentioned in TV and radio ads. It's pathetic.
Actually a very fair point. Only promotions I've seen is on Fox Sports Florida during a Magic game.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:04 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
if Tampa Rays move --Tampa will sink into the gulf - they have threatened for years and the area- wont pay for the luxury stadium-

Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
That sounds like bad ownership. If the team has many wins, fans will come out, but they have to establish a tradition of winning. Florida does not have any winning teams except for the state universities and the Miami Heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando