Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

First of all, I'm new to the forum; glad to be here!

I 'm a recent college grad and looking to relocate. I've decided on the Orlando, FL area. Some of my top concerns are safety, affordability, convenience, and utility costs. Basically, I have a budget of about $1500 total for rent/utilities. My income is roughly 3k/mo.

Ideally, I would prefer no more than a 1/2 hour drive to downtown Orlando.

The good thing about my profession is that I can work from home. This is what allows me to be flexible as far as where I'll be living. I'm looking for quite a bit of safety though as my property will hold some expensive equipment inside.

What I want: a decent 2-bedroom, 1-bath house. One room for my equipment to work, and one room to sleep. I have grown accustomed to actual houses and not apartment buildings, so I'd like to continue that trend if possible. At the same time, duplexes appeal to me as well (given I have decent neighbors ).

As stated, a half-hour drive or less is preferred to the heart of Orlando, but I could live with 45 minutes if it will help aid my desired situation. Any advice is much appreciated. I plan to contribute to this forum in any way I can to return the helpful advice I receive.

I have 3-months before I move. Thanks for having me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 10:15 AM

24,352 posts, read 26,826,712 times
Check out Baldwin Park

Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 10,263 times
Check out the Conway area.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:47 PM

27,008 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Check out Winter Park. It's pretty safe and very convenient to everything including downtown Orlando (about 15 minutes).

Rental Listings - 4 Rentals | Zillow

Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Winter Park. It's pretty safe and very convenient to everything including downtown Orlando (about 15 minutes).

Rental Listings - 4 Rentals | Zillow
I second this- I visit family (a lot of them) in Orlando, and we love Winter Park ...

Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 AM

617 posts, read 828,877 times
Utilities will run you about $150 a month on average for a smaller place like you're looking for, so with a rental budget of $1350/mo. I don't think Winter Park is going to get you what you're looking for. Anything under $1350 there is going to be a 1/1 or 2/1 apartment or condo, not even a duplex or single family home.

I'd look around the milk district area (in between downtown and the executive airport). Might have better luck over here and it's only 5 minutes from downtown. If you don't mind a commute, Waterford Lakes might be able to get you a small house for $1350/mo. if you move quickly enough.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:20 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
What is the reason for being close to Orlando?

If you work from home you have a lot more flexibility than most. I am assuming from your age and desire to be close to downtown Orlando you are looking for nightlife/culture/bars/restaurants etc.

There a lot of other cities in FL that offer proximity to nightlife/culture/bars/restaurants etc. Not that there is anything wrong with Orlando, I like Orlando. But I have seen that a lot of people from out of state know Orlando and they discover another city that is better for them, but not on the radar for people from Ohio.

Consider St Petersburg, Jacksonville (Riverside/Avondale, Murray Hill or San Marco neighborhoods), Tallahassee ( TD* will be glad to chime in here), Gainesville, St Augustine to name a few.

There are some great neighborhoods in Orlando that have been mentioned. Looking for a single family house in a safe neighborhood close to DT Orlando your budget may not be realistic. So expand horizons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando