Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Rumors are a theme park developer was the most serious potential buyer of the property. I'm just happy Cinemark is still going to be open after the mall closes. That's one of my favorite theaters in the country. It's cheap and has the oversized electric reclining seats with assigned seating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
We're new to Orlando. This week, we visited Altamonte Mall for the first time and my wife went to the Premium Outlets this week for the first time.

Altamonte Mall is very nice. We spent nearly 5 hours there walking around the shops and having lunch. Got our little girl a Build A Bear. Food court has a lot of options. Place was clean, it got busier as the day went on, we got there around 12:30 and left around 5:30.

We're not fans of Premium Outlets, traffic getting there is bad, traffic there is bad, parking is horrible, prices for food are really high. $5 for a hotdog? No wonder why he didn't have a price sign up. Stupid me thought "how much could a hotdog cost?" Assures that I won't eat if I go back.

I hope Oviedo Mall survives and thrives. We like the Oviedo area and have considered buying a house there.

We come from an area that has fallen on hard times. We know all too well what can happen to an area when the businesses start to leave. The tax base starts to fall on residential tax. Some people are priced out, lose their homes, renters start coming in, schools start to fall in performance, homes lose value...

Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
It'll be big news once the property finally sells. Hopefully the buyer will redevelop it into something worth going to.
3rd time's a charm hopefully. The trend the last several years has been towards outdoor malls, maybe that's where it needs to go.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
3rd time's a charm hopefully. The trend the last several years has been towards outdoor malls, maybe that's where it needs to go.
I love outdoor malls or shopping centers with some shops, restaurants, anchored by a speciality grocery store or market.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 AM

617 posts, read 832,856 times
That's absolutely what should happen. It's really great real estate being so close to downtown, Thornton Park, and Winter Park. I was always surprised they didn't do more with that land with the potential it has being pretty much right next to Baldwin Park as well.

Now they're building a Floor&Decor and Orchard Supply where sears used to be, so that'll be interesting how that ties into the overall project. They're also building a bowling alley inside the mall, not sure of the status of that but apparently that's been in the works for over a year now.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:51 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Here's an interesting question.

How has Altamonte Mall, a traditional indoor mall, been able to survive and appear to be thriving, while the other non-tourist area CFL malls are struggling? What did they do differently compared to Seminole Town Center, Oviedo, West Oaks, Fashion Square, etc?
Altamonte Springs is also adjacent to Maitland, which is adjacent to Winter Park. Both of which are upscale "old money" communities with lots of spending power. And besides the mall itself there are upscale dining options adjacent as well (Seasons 52 for example) Uptown Altamonte is also right behind the mall which gives the mall an even better boost. Then you also have more big money communities like Lake Mary, Longwood, and Winter Springs and I'm sure those residents go to Altamonte Mall as well

Point being, why would the wealthy residents of Winter Park and Maitland, and Seminole County suburbs drive 10+ miles in I-4 traffic to the Millenia Mall when Altamonte is 4 miles away via I-4 (Lee Rd exit 88, SR 43 exit 92)

I think thats why Altamonte has done well in my opinion

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Altamonte Springs is also adjacent to Maitland, which is adjacent to Winter Park. Both of which are upscale "old money" communities with lots of spending power. And besides the mall itself there are upscale dining options adjacent as well (Seasons 52 for example) Uptown Altamonte is also right behind the mall which gives the mall an even better boost. Then you also have more big money communities like Lake Mary, Longwood, and Winter Springs and I'm sure those residents go to Altamonte Mall as well

Point being, why would the wealthy residents of Winter Park and Maitland, and Seminole County suburbs drive 10+ miles in I-4 traffic to the Millenia Mall when Altamonte is 4 miles away via I-4 (Lee Rd exit 88, SR 43 exit 92)

I think thats why Altamonte has done well in my opinion
Exactly. South Orlando/DR Phillips is essentially a mirror image of North Orlando/WP in terms of dining and shopping options. That's why there's a season 52 and Flemings off sand lake and also in WP/Altamonte.

Basically the two areas with lots of money (WP vs DP/Windermere)

Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Exactly. South Orlando/DR Phillips is essentially a mirror image of North Orlando/WP in terms of dining and shopping options. That's why there's a season 52 and Flemings off sand lake and also in WP/Altamonte.

Basically the two areas with lots of money (WP vs DP/Windermere)
Yep and because of that the options are much nicer so most people don't mind driving extra to go to a nicer mall instead of the old one next to them.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 PM

135 posts, read 390,695 times
Sad to hear about Fashion Square. Used to love going there in the late 80's to early 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando