Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,230 times

Advertisements

We are potentially looking at taking a job that will relocate our family to the Orlando area. I have 3 kids, 8yr, 6yr, 4yr and looking for the best towns to raise them. Our budget is in the 500ks. I have looked in to Lake Mary, Oviedo, Windermere, Longwood, but only on the surface. We are an active family so sports are important to us. Any advice that you can offer regarding these towns as well as any other that we haven't even looked at yet would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,105,230 times
Orlando is very spread out. Your location should be partially based on where you'll be working as well.
That said, if you'll be working in the Northern areas, Lake Mary gets my nod. You can get a very nice home in some neighborhoods along Markham Rd. or in Heathrow on your budget. It's generally one of the more desirable areas in Metro Orlando. Very family-friendly, lots of shopping in the area, has a great movie theater, easy access to I4 and the 417. If looking at Lake Mary, also consider West Sanford and NW Longwood which are basically an extension of Lake Mary IMO.
As for sports, my kids play soccer in the area, where the Orlando City SC train. We love it. There's also the Seminole-Wekiva Trail that runs along Markham Rd. in a wooded, shaded area if you're into biking.
Not too far, in Maitland, you have the RDV Sportsplex, where your kids can take part in swimming, tennis, basketball, etc. Very good facility.
I can go on and on about Lake Mary/West Sanford. I love it.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,310,625 times
All the areas you mentioned are great family friendly places, it really just comes down to preference and proximity. I'm going to throw my hat in for Longwood, specifically the Wekiva/Sweetwater area. Great family area with walking trails, parks , golf courses, playgrounds, library and natural beauty abounds. The schools in this area are A+, shopping and dining also very convenient. Although it feels like you are in a wooded nature preserve, you are literally minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Altamonte where you can find any of your needs as far as shopping and groceries. Only drawbacks is it's in a wooded area so mosquitos and critters are present, most homes in this area have screened pools and occasionally you may see a black bear roaming around. Other than that, great area.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM

26,987 posts, read 43,537,741 times
I second Lake Mary/West Sanford. In particular within the 500K price bracket you'll find some nice options in West Sanford around Astor Farms, Lake Sylvan and Wekiva Park which are all off of SR46 west of I-4. The schools are A+ (among the best in the state), it's less heavily developed than much of Seminole County due to larger lot sizes and conservation areas, yet close to shops/restaurants and recreation areas (including the very large Seminole Soccer Complex) plus very close to either I-4 or the 417 for getting around the metro area.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 AM

24,350 posts, read 26,800,234 times
Dr Phillips
Windermere
Lake Mary
Oviedo
Lake Nona

Are all fine areas, you can visit them in person as they are all different both in terms of atmosphere and location in Central Florida.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,264,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Dr Phillips
Windermere
Lake Mary
Oviedo
Lake Nona

Are all fine areas, you can visit them in person as they are all different both in terms of atmosphere and location in Central Florida.
Winter park as well

Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,264,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbow View Post
Best thing you can do is not come here, the schools are terrible. Unless you go private. DONT COME HERE ITS HORRIBLE
Yawn, another troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando