Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:26 PM

174 posts, read 455,138 times

Advertisements

I know updated kitchens and baths bring a higher sale price and/or rental price. Below are pictures of our kitchen cabinets, which has builders grade cabinets. Our hardware is brushed nickel, which matches all the hardware in the house.

Should we leave the cabinets as is or paint them? If we paint them, what color(s)? I originally wanted to do white or black bottom with white top.

All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Side note: I know I will need to declutter before we sell 😊

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
The best thing you can do is replace all of your appliances with stainless steel. I'm not sure how much you are looking to spend, but changing your countertops to quartz or granite would help a lot. When it comes to your cabinets, white is really popular right now. However, like I said, before anything else, change your appliances to stainless steel. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 PM

174 posts, read 455,138 times
We are only going to paint cabinets. Not everyone wants stainless or granite, etc. I know I don't like stainless.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:51 PM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
Agreed with BMW. SS appliances change the look of the kitchen substantially at a fraction of the cost of cabinets. Those type of cabinets you have are tough because even when painted they still have the "builder grade" look that we're all familiar with.

If you decide to paint/stain, I'd go with a darker brown (almost like an espresso look) in order to hide some of the prominent wood grains. You don't want to cover all of the grain though, so don't use 4 layers of thick paint or anything like that. If you go with white, it won't give you the modern white look that the white shaker style cabinets pull off. Better to stick with a natural brown wood color. That and SS appliances will help change the look of your kitchen.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoTroi View Post
I know updated kitchens and baths bring a higher sale price and/or rental price. Below are pictures of our kitchen cabinets, which has builders grade cabinets. Our hardware is brushed nickel, which matches all the hardware in the house.

Should we leave the cabinets as is or paint them? If we paint them, what color(s)? I originally wanted to do white or black bottom with white top.

The black appliances are completely fine if new/newer and wouldn't waste money on replacing them. Stainless steel appliances with that shade of cabinetry isn't going to look anymore updated than the black, or white for that matter. The countertops however are a different story and would replace with granite or engineered quartz. If you want to (and can) maximize your dollars and return on investment (assuming your not overspending for the neighborhood) you could replace the cabinet fronts with white or a light pickled wood, then change out the appliances to stainless (pick slate finish versus traditional) and go with a less expensive white granite option. In the end keep in mind not overspending for what the home's value can absorb, which will be guided by what homes in your neighborhood sell for.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:23 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
We are only going to paint cabinets. Not everyone wants stainless or granite, etc. I know I don't like stainless.
Not everyone wants neutral wall colors either, but I promise you there are more people willing to spend more money if your walls are a neutral color vs hot pink.

Most of my friends either work in tech or are in real estate with an emphasis of buying and flipping properties including staging, doing everything they can to fix a property as cheaply as possible to maximize profit. It makes a huge difference in your final sale price and stainless steel appliances are standard in ANY flip.

If you are searching for the bargain buyer who wants to pick up your house for cheap with the intention, well I can offer low, so I can upgrade it then go for it, but if you want to maximize your investment, you need stainless steel. I've flipped a couple properties myself and this isn't 100% set in stone. You could spend $100,000 remodeling your home and if your appliances are black or white, it will look unfinished, thus not get you top dollar.

The hardest thing a realtor or agent has to deal with is getting their client to believe them on things like this lol, but since I'm not getting paid, I won't spend energy to convince you.

Good luck

Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,629 times
I would not paint the cabinets. I have seen sellers paint cabinets and most of the time it does not help with the sale. The best investment you can do is giving The interior a fresh coat of paint if needed. That gives you the best return on your investment

Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/k...cant-go-wrong/

Old 02-11-2017, 07:27 AM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
Quote:

If I were in your shoes, contrary to all the advice from the C-D peanut gallery, I would forget spending any additional cash on upgrades whatsoever, unless something is obviously damaged.

I would 100% de-clutter the kitchen (as well as the entire house) & make sure everything has had a deep cleaning, & absolutely has a fresh smell.

Then I would price the house competitively, so that the very next buyers walking in cannot beat the price elsewhere.

I do not believe you will make a profit by spending your cash at this time on upgrades that a potential buyer likely wouldn't have chosen. You don't do this for a living, & you're not going to get any discounts on the work performed.

I say price the house right, as is, so that the next buyer gets to do whatever upgrades they want, with their own cash.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:31 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
If I were in your shoes, contrary to all the advice from the C-D peanut gallery, I would forget spending any additional cash on upgrades whatsoever, unless something is obviously damaged.

I would 100% de-clutter the kitchen (as well as the entire house) & make sure everything has had a deep cleaning, & absolutely has a fresh smell.

Then I would price the house competitively, so that the very next buyers walking in cannot beat the price elsewhere.

I do not believe you will make a profit by spending your cash at this time on upgrades that a potential buyer likely wouldn't have chosen. You don't do this for a living, & you're not going to get any discounts on the work performed.

I say price the house right, as is, so that the next buyer gets to do whatever upgrades they want, with their own cash.
This is 100% how I felt as a first time homebuyer... but as one who had just gone through the hassle of working a remodel/upgrades, I'd now be looking for complete work.

Regretfully it's 6 of one and Half Dozen of the other.
Likely depends on local market and who your prospective buyers are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: