Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:07 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly as stated prior you must be working with the infamous Orlando rose-colored glasses with the blinder attachment. Downtown Orlando, particularly around Lake Eola and in the heart of downtown is thick with the homeless. I read not too long ago that Orlando has the highest number of homeless among all mid-sized American cities.
I dont mean to come off as sounding like an arrogant prick, but I think by your response shows a lack of traveling or living in other major cities experience. It's like when I lived in this small town in Alaska, some people would refer to Anchorage as this crazy town that's scary to drive in as if it were this big city. Well to them it was a big city with crazy traffic patterns but to me it felt like a small town. The same thing here in Orlando, like the traffic people really complain here about, but it really isn't that bad, the homeless population is almost non-existant from what I'm used to and it's not just San Francisco. It just makes me laugh when I meet some of these people who view cities like LA, Seattle, Portland etc as these heaven like dreams yet they complain about the traffic in Orlando or the homeless in Orlando or the cost of housing in Orlando and I'm here thinking hahaha if only you knew....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:26 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
It's all relative in the end. You may see some homeless in DT Orlando, but I don't think the OP is looking to raise their kids in DT Orlando. Go just a few blocks to Thornton or Eola Heights and there aren't really any homeless. Go further out to places like Wekiva or Lake Mary and it's not even a consideration. Sure if you go far enough outside of San Fran, LA, Chicago, etc you'll find a similar neighborhood, but at what price? There's not many places where $250k is going buy you a nice home, in a good school district with low crime and high quality of life. I'm with BMW, I've lived many places and loved them all, but at the end of the day when it comes to raising a family, Central Florida really gives you alot of bang for the buck. It's certainly not perfect and certainly not without it's fair share of problems but other than Atlanta I really haven't seen many places where you can get the same quality of life for the price.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
It's all relative in the end. You may see some homeless in DT Orlando, but I don't think the OP is looking to raise their kids in DT Orlando. Go just a few blocks to Thornton or Eola Heights and there aren't really any homeless. Go further out to places like Wekiva or Lake Mary and it's not even a consideration. Sure if you go far enough outside of San Fran, LA, Chicago, etc you'll find a similar neighborhood, but at what price? There's not many places where $250k is going buy you a nice home, in a good school district with low crime and high quality of life. I'm with BMW, I've lived many places and loved them all, but at the end of the day when it comes to raising a family, Central Florida really gives you alot of bang for the buck. It's certainly not perfect and certainly not without it's fair share of problems but other than Atlanta I really haven't seen many places where you can get the same quality of life for the price.
Sorry, walkable family-friendly diverse indy-neighborhoods are the topic here.
Not 'good place to live'.

I enjoy Orlando, I think it's a nice place to live... but some of these conversations are coming from those who aren't trying to earn their living here. The median salaries to housing costs here are far worse than most of the cities mentioned in this post.

Louisville, Indianapolis, even Chicago and LA have average salaries that can make ends meet with renting and/or purchasing.

Orlando is VERY pricey for what it is. The rental market here is completely out of whack with other cities of its size/opportunity.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 11,904 times
I've lived in Englewood park suburb of Orlando for the better part of three years. It doesn't have the social status of other Orlando neighborhood's, but I Love it, and am extremely glad I bought here. It's a very affordable ($175,00 and under across the board...Some townhomes for $60K to $95K, diverse (racially and socioeconomically), and centrally located area that still has a city Address with City propper services. The homes are early 50's to late 60's Florida ranches. Two and Three bedroom with modest SQ footage (By today's standard). I wouldn't call them midcentury modern, but some of the houses have that charm. Some properties are a bit unkept, but nothing I would call ghetto.

Joggers, cyclist, dog walkers at all hours of day and night. We frequently walk our dog at late hours all around the neighborhood, and have never had a sketchy encounter. Burglaries and property crimes are a bit higher in the area, but they are almost all "UNLOCKED" vehicles and doors, few actually involve breaking anything. Car alarms, Burglary alarm, and "secured" personal property should be the standard for any homeowner. Keep in mind, this is not an exurb. It was hit hard by the housing collapse, but thankfully no longer resembles what it was eight years ago. The scale has tipped farther away from economically depressed and vacant for sure. Renovations galore, Improved storefronts, etc.

Extensive sidewalk network and bike lanes. (illegal or not, for safety reasons, our family rides go to the sidewalk in leu of the bike lane for certain arterial roads, and have never once been stopped by any law enforcement agency)

Playgrounds, Urban Wetlands, a Splashpad, indoor and outdoor basketball, outdoor tennis, soccer, Bike Trails, Stocked Fishing ponds, a roller skating rink, a local dive bar, are all 5 to10 minute on bike, as are amazing Cuban and Puerto Rican bakery's, family owned restraunts, and all the grocery chains. Publix, Walmart, sodanos, save-a-lot, etc...Plus umpteen chain restraunts and fast food options. Aside from parks, Orlando also has neighborhood centers throughout the city, with all sorts of activities, youth and senior programs, sports leagues, pools, community gardens, and gyms.

10 minutes in car and you have a city ran outdoor skate park, nature reserves, kayaking, boat ramps, dog parks, a mall, movie theatre, Bowling.

P.m. me if you want further on the general area.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 11,904 times
Ohh yeah...Chickesaw library is brand new and georgious. 10 min car ride. 10 to 15 on bike...Orange county Library even delivers books to your door.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post

Exactly, heck you can move an hour from San Francisco and $500k will get you a small condo. And then you get some of the people here going, "but but but you can't afford to buy a nice house in Winter Park..." lol

Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Sorry, walkable family-friendly diverse indy-neighborhoods are the topic here.
Not 'good place to live'.

I enjoy Orlando, I think it's a nice place to live... but some of these conversations are coming from those who aren't trying to earn their living here. The median salaries to housing costs here are far worse than most of the cities mentioned in this post.

Louisville, Indianapolis, even Chicago and LA have average salaries that can make ends meet with renting and/or purchasing.

Orlando is VERY pricey for what it is. The rental market here is completely out of whack with other cities of its size/opportunity.
lol Los Angeles has HORRIBLE wage to housing cost. Most people who don't own a home, will never be able to own a home in Los Angeles. When it comes to rent, it's very common to have room mates, heck it's not uncommon to share a bedroom with someone else. Indianapolis is Indianapolis and the same with Louisville. Chicago has somewhat affordable housing for an urban city, but wages aren't very good and crime is through the roof.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:15 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol Los Angeles has HORRIBLE wage to housing cost. Most people who don't own a home, will never be able to own a home in Los Angeles. When it comes to rent, it's very common to have room mates, heck it's not uncommon to share a bedroom with someone else. Indianapolis is Indianapolis and the same with Louisville. Chicago has somewhat affordable housing for an urban city, but wages aren't very good and crime is through the roof.
Wages are higher in Chicago than Orlando, and the majority of rents in Urban Chicago are cheaper than Orlando.

Indianapolis is Indianapolis, is not an explanation for anything?
Do you mean that it's the Capital of the State and the largest city in the state?
As Louisville is the largest city in KY?

They both have quite a fair income to rent/ownership.

Orlando is flat out terribly overpriced for what it is. Florida in general is, as demand is split between working individuals and those who have come to retire/earned elsewhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-rent-a-home

Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Wages are higher in Chicago than Orlando, and the majority of rents in Urban Chicago are cheaper than Orlando.

Indianapolis is Indianapolis, is not an explanation for anything?
Do you mean that it's the Capital of the State and the largest city in the state?
As Louisville is the largest city in KY?

They both have quite a fair income to rent/ownership.

Orlando is flat out terribly overpriced for what it is. Florida in general is, as demand is split between working individuals and those who have come to retire/earned elsewhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...to-rent-a-home
No I'm saying who wants to live or even visit those two cities. Orlando is a destination people travel to from all over the world. Chicago like I said is a fair option and one of the more affordable urban cities, but you have to deal with extreme winters and really bad crime. Los Angles isn't anywhere near affordable based on average income. It's like my friend who moved there said, "moving to LA is part of my life time goal on becoming homeless"

Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM

174 posts, read 207,282 times
Orlando is the place to be if you need affordable apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando