Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times

Advertisements

Oh me too. People think I am crazy but I love the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Oh me too. People think I am crazy but I love the humidity.
I was just wondering, what do you love about the humidity?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 PM

58 posts, read 130,530 times
Its not normally this humid in April. Arent there normally wild fires around this time that frequently jump the beach line?

I like the warmth though. I have only been here for 5 years, but I can already wear a long sleave shirt in the summer as long as I am not outdoors a lot.

I do not live IN Orlando yet. I live in Winter Haven but I am moving to Downtown Orlando in a couple weeks for a good job.

I really like when my family comes and we do tourist things, makes you have neat memories related with sites you get to see frequently/every day.

Weather

Beach is nice when I am close enough to it (used to live in Melbourne)

Outlet malls

I am learning downtown is cute in certain areas

I really like the birds too. I dont like the gators or the lizards tho. But that is part of why orlando is so nice, there are things for all people to like if you take hte time to find them.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I was just wondering, what do you love about the humidity?
It is so different from where I grew up, it is good for your skin, I just like it.
I like all kinds of heat, I just do not like cold at all.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
It is so different from where I grew up, it is good for your skin, I just like it.
I like all kinds of heat, I just do not like cold at all.
I agree, I love the balmy humid feeling. I used to feel like I was going to dry up and blow away when I was in Texas and Colorado.

I LOVE that I have my first sunburn of the year while some states are still having winter weather warnings. I was able to spend a couple days in the sun with my daughter on her spring break.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,758 times
The weather and the beautiful Puerto Rican men!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 22,980 times
I'm very glad this thread was started.

It has been a dream of mine for years to move to the Orlando area and I'm in the process of making that dream come true.

My first objective was to list pros and cons to be certain that I wasn't guided by false expectations. This has helped me to see what I thought as positive aspects that were difficult to see on these boards due to all of the negative chatter.

Thank you for offering some positive comment on my list.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM

There is positive and negative to every place in the country. I think a lot of the negative things said about Orlando are paranoia induced and wide exaggerations altogether. Orlando is a beautiful place surrounded by beautiful lakes, nature, and further out there are the beaches. There are plenty of entertainment options for the kid at heart and adults. There are older parts of town like Winter Park that are rich in culture and newer parts of town with nice shopping centers and neighborhoods. While there are a lot of chains and big box stores, there are also unique and interesting areas where restaurants and salons are tucked into trendy neighborhoods. There are areas with better schools than others and jobs are pretty competitive here, but I think that is common in this part of the US and it is always being addressed and improved on. There is talk to rampant crime, but my neighborhood could not be quieter, I do not feel unsafe at night, and do not know that any of my friends that have been victimized by crime some of whom have lived here their entire life. I think steps are being taken to ensure that this is kept under control in the area since tourism is so big here; I think crime is generally occuring in the same few parts of town as well and seems to be isolated in nature.

It is such a unique area, where you can see shuttle launches, attend small intimate concerts, dine at outdoor cafes, spend a day at the beach, see a movie at an Indie flick house, walk along a lakeside park, enjoy the mutlitude of theme parks and water parks year round, visit one of the many wildlife reserves in the area, shop at a world class mall, go to butterfly garden, see a free or cheap museum exhibit, drive down a tacky tourist corridor, take a swamp tour, lay by the pool for a larger portion of the year than most areas, shop at one of the largest and most successful outlet malls in the world, attend one of several dinner theaters in the area, etc.
I do not know how pessimistic you have to be to hate Florida, and I know that Orlando is not for everyone, but I feel spoiled to live in such a paradise. I love it when it is sunny for obvious reasons and I love it when it pours and there is rolling thunder because it is cool. I love that people seem to care about their communities and neighborhoods and storefronts are always being redone and beautified all the time. My neighborhood was built in the 80s and the house two down on one side is repainting and remodeling and one about 3-4 houses on the otherside also just repainted. The house across the street just relaid new sod. This may not be the case for every neighborhood but I feel like people are really invested and happy with their lives where I am from. The people that come on this forum to complain are probably not getting out there and enjoying life; if that is the case, can you blame them for being unhappy?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,275 times
Whilshire - you have been a breath of spring air to the Orlando board. We need more positive reinforcement because Orlando is not all doom and gloom. People's personal problems oftentimes make it the city's fault ... and that's unfortunate.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 PM

58 posts, read 130,530 times
Default New things I have discovered since living here

Right out side of downtown in the little neighborhoods, it is completely adorable. I moved into lake davis park area and there are urban wetlands right down the road that are beautiful and I walk my dog there every day. There are tons of restaurants and bars in the downtown area but as soon as you step into the tree lined streets I dont worry about crime any more than any place else. I can bike everywhere pretty much, there are bike paths EVERYWHERE.

And as a dog owner, this town is VERY pet friendly, other than places that dont rent to pet owners. Almost all parks are dog friendly with bags for poo and waste recepticals. Farmers market at Lake Eola is pet friendly and there are dogs everywhere it seems. Its nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando