Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times

Advertisements

Windermere/Winter Garden is a huge area that has a few private schools in Orlando, it's where Tiger Woods lived, is the only place that has anything close to a luxury mall in Orlando (Mall at Millenia), it has a toll way (429) that kind of leads to Eustis and is about 45 minutes away via toll. It's also close to the main tourist areas. There shouldn't be that much traffic in that toll road, since as you said, it's a reverse commute (people leaving during the morning and coming back during the afternoon).

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find a nice neighborhood in Wekiva (which would be closer to Eustis) or even in Apopka or Eustis itself if you look at the gated communities. There's always a gated community near each area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsing Tao View Post
Good to know. I appreciate the answers. I apologize if this sounds ignorant, but when I hear Sanford, I think of the issues and riots from the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman incident, which then makes me think of crime etc.
Apology accepted. There are and weren't any issues in Sanford as a result of the Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman incident, including "riots". The media did a fantastic smear job on the town and made it seem like the second calling of Detroit or Miami in the late 60s. The incident occurred in a somewhat upscale gated community on the west side of Sanford in a neighborhood closer to Lake Mary than most of the rest of Sanford (6 miles from Downtown Sanford). So naturally the media moved the incident into Downtown Sanford live broadcasts and continued to do so even at the trial which was located at the Seminole County Courthouse which is located in unincorporated Sanford 7 miles away.

Sanford is the largest city in Seminole County and by far the most diverse racially with about 57% Caucasian, 30% Black and 10% Hispanic in terms of mix. Being somewhat Old South still in terms of segregation, a vast majority of the Black population which tends poverty level to low income lives within a small section of a fairly large zip code, 32771. That particular zip code shows a high crime rate but if one looks at a map you would say 3/4 or more of the crime occurs within that section you most likely would never have interaction with. The remainder of 32771 for instance shows median household incomes close to 80K per year and educational attainment levels of bachelors degrees in the 45% range which is among the highest in the Orlando metro area.

My parents and now I, have lived in Sanford since 1979. The neighborhoods of the western half are every bit as safe as Lake Mary or any of the other areas of Seminole County deemed as more desirable by the misinformed. I would urge performing some due diligence versus buying into "what you've heard" not only regarding Sanford, but any topic.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
There is no reason for someone with a good income to live anywhere in Sanford. Parts of it aren't bad, but unless you are on a budget, there are many nicer areas.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:44 PM

17,194 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no reason for someone with a good income to live anywhere in Sanford. Parts of it aren't bad, but unless you are on a budget, there are many nicer areas.
I disagree. There aren't many areas in the Orlando area that rival pretty much any community along Markham Rd. I doubt you've been there, otherwise you would sing a very different tune

Old 03-18-2017, 01:04 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I disagree. There aren't many areas in the Orlando area that rival pretty much any community along Markham Rd. I doubt you've been there, otherwise you would sing a very different tune
Exactly, because someone on the internet said.

Parts of Sanford are every bit as desirable as anywhere else in the metro area minus the heavy tourist schtick/congestion of SW Orlando which many (like myself) find anything but attractive. Besides the Markham area there's the neighborhoods around Lake Sylvan, the Wekiva River communities, Astor Farms, Lake Forest, Buckingham Estates...the list goes on if you know anything about it.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 3,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Windermere/Winter Garden is a huge area that has a few private schools in Orlando, it's where Tiger Woods lived, is the only place that has anything close to a luxury mall in Orlando (Mall at Millenia), it has a toll way (429) that kind of leads to Eustis and is about 45 minutes away via toll. It's also close to the main tourist areas. There shouldn't be that much traffic in that toll road, since as you said, it's a reverse commute (people leaving during the morning and coming back during the afternoon).

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find a nice neighborhood in Wekiva (which would be closer to Eustis) or even in Apopka or Eustis itself if you look at the gated communities. There's always a gated community near each area.
A good number of folks have told me Apopka is not exactly the place to be. You believe this to be inaccurate?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 3,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apology accepted. There are and weren't any issues in Sanford as a result of the Trayvon Martin-George Zimmerman incident, including "riots". The media did a fantastic smear job on the town and made it seem like the second calling of Detroit or Miami in the late 60s. The incident occurred in a somewhat upscale gated community on the west side of Sanford in a neighborhood closer to Lake Mary than most of the rest of Sanford (6 miles from Downtown Sanford). So naturally the media moved the incident into Downtown Sanford live broadcasts and continued to do so even at the trial which was located at the Seminole County Courthouse which is located in unincorporated Sanford 7 miles away.

Sanford is the largest city in Seminole County and by far the most diverse racially with about 57% Caucasian, 30% Black and 10% Hispanic in terms of mix. Being somewhat Old South still in terms of segregation, a vast majority of the Black population which tends poverty level to low income lives within a small section of a fairly large zip code, 32771. That particular zip code shows a high crime rate but if one looks at a map you would say 3/4 or more of the crime occurs within that section you most likely would never have interaction with. The remainder of 32771 for instance shows median household incomes close to 80K per year and educational attainment levels of bachelors degrees in the 45% range which is among the highest in the Orlando metro area.

My parents and now I, have lived in Sanford since 1979. The neighborhoods of the western half are every bit as safe as Lake Mary or any of the other areas of Seminole County deemed as more desirable by the misinformed. I would urge performing some due diligence versus buying into "what you've heard" not only regarding Sanford, but any topic.
Understood. The problem is that I don't have an enormous amount of time to do extensive diligence, hence the posting on this website for discussion.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:08 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree, Arcenal352. The areas along Markham Woods, Markham & Longwood Markham Roads are some of the best in the entire Metro. bmw335xi deserves a pass though, as he's fairly new to the area and lives on the opposite side of town.

bmw335xi - Do yourself a favor and drive the above roads between 434 in Longwood, up to 46 west of Sanford. You will gain an appreciation of how beautiful the Northside is.

Tsing Tao - If you want public schools, you want Seminole County. The aforementioned Wekiva area is nice, as is the adjacent Sweetwater Oaks neighborhood. The neighborhoods located along the 'Markham Roads' mentioned above could possibly be a little more convenient for your commute though.

Concentrate on the areas west of I-4 in Seminole County, and you basically can't go wrong. When the new Wekiva parkway is completed, it will speed up the commute measurably.

A perfect example of how nice this area is a neighborhood called The Springs. One of the most unique neighborhoods anywhere, it's by far my favorite in suburban Orlando. Located very near the busy I-4/434 interchange, it's a tropical paradise built around Sanlando Springs that many don't even realize is there. Once inside the gates, the city basically melts away. The Springs Connection Homeowners Association

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsing Tao View Post
A good number of folks have told me Apopka is not exactly the place to be. You believe this to be inaccurate?
It depends on where in Apopka. Apopka is a town on the outskirts of Orlando, where there's a center part, where a railroad passes and it's got lots of old houses. But, of course there are a few nice neighborhoods in Millionaire's row to the north of Apopka's center and also along Wekiva Springs.

I was thinking more along the 429 tollway, just south of Apopka where Ocoee and Winter Garden is they have some newer developments as well. If you go to the south of Winter Garden they have lots of new houses along the 429 tollway and lots of nice stores and it's a good area with great schools. That shouldn't be a far drive from Eustis. It's about 35 minutes.

That being said, the Apopka area is kind of on the outskirts and it's far off from the major shopping centers or any of the fancy amenities. For example, if you go to a place like Windermere or Lake Nona or Baldwin Park, you'll see nicer Publixes (with more items and bigger bakeries) and you'll see more upscaled clothing and shopping options. Of course, with the online shopping, you don't need these amenities anymore really. It doesn't matter, but it just depends if that lifestyle appeals to you.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I always thought Markham Woods was part of Heathrow/Lake Mary. I didn't know Sanford extended West of I-4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando