Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUrbanite View Post
Your lack of being able to understand instructions is baffling. That's probably how you ended up in Sanford. Maybe you misread the signs? I guess that's how you end up in a place you can't stand.

If you can point me in the direction of a luxury one-bedroom apartment near the core of Sarasota (with a walkscore in the 80s or 90s for the address) for under $1,200, I'd greatly appreciate it. I live here. I do not know of any.

Or if you can point me to something in any of these other urban dream cities that you're referring to within my price range (which I've given numerous time), that would be great, too. Florida is just filled to the brim with urbanism all over, right? And at my price range, right? I have options galore, right? You did see the word "cheapest" right in the title of this thread, didn't you???

Thanks!!!!
The Sevens, NoRA, and Steelhouse are by no means 'luxury'. They're cheaply built apartments (albeit New) with moderate amenities.

Sanctuary and Star Tower are two Luxury buildings downtown. 101 S. Eola, The Vue, and The Paramount are up there as well.

You're not going to get a luxury 1 BR for $1200 in Orlando.

You have a fairly limited frame which you've set. You can find units in Jacksonville for that rate.
My issue with your criteria is you're not going to find anything in an 'Urban Core' in Florida for cheap.

You want a true urban city experience, and you want Florida. Miami is the -ONLY- city that meets that criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 20,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The Sevens, NoRA, and Steelhouse are by no means 'luxury'. They're cheaply built apartments (albeit New) with moderate amenities.

Sanctuary and Star Tower are two Luxury buildings downtown. 101 S. Eola, The Vue, and The Paramount are up there as well.

You're not going to get a luxury 1 BR for $1200 in Orlando.

You have a fairly limited frame which you've set. You can find units in Jacksonville for that rate.
My issue with your criteria is you're not going to find anything in an 'Urban Core' in Florida for cheap.

You want a true urban city experience, and you want Florida. Miami is the -ONLY- city that meets that criteria.
More opinions and subjective views.

No offense, but you're not providing any value here.

I've already provided the baseline to MY expectations of urbanity and luxury. I see The Sevens as a luxury pad. It's beautiful, made of concrete, and provides the amenities I'm looking for. If you only consider The Vue as luxury, move there. As for urbanity, Orlando does it for me. Live theater? Check. National events? Check. Dozens of restaurants in walking distance? Check. Public transportation? Check. Parks? Check. Farmers Market? Check. Big-league sports? Check. It's got what I'm looking for. Maybe that doesn't conform to your definition of "true urban city experience", which is fine. At that point, make a separate thread debating Orlando's urbanity versus other cities'. I'm not interested in it.

I've set the baseline. Downtown Orlando. A one-bedroom apartment on the level of Steelhouse or The Sevens for $1,200/month. If you can find a better or similar urban environment, a better or similar apartment, at a better or similar price, in Florida, by all means.... LET ME KNOW.

For a site called "City-DATA", there's no data here at all. Just opinions.

I never said that Miami wouldn't be more urban. But I'm not going to pay $2k+ per month for rent. So it's out. Plus, I don't like Miami. If you like Miami, go there.

If you can't provide a better/bigger apartment in an urban environment at the baseline (and price) I've set (again: Downtown Orlando), then you can't provide any value here. I'm looking for REAL-LIFE APARTMENTS AT REAL-LIFE PRICES IN REAL-LIFE PLACES. I can't be any clearer here, guys.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM

This thread has proven pretty useless.

I love the responses:

Orlando sucks. Why'd you pick Orlando? These apartments aren't luxury. Complain. Disagree. Noise. Blah.

But then when I ask for competitive/comparable apartments in a competitive/comparable urban environment at a competitive/comparable price, I get nothing.

Please, if you can't provide what I'm asking for, move on to a different thread.

Thanks!!!!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
I can only give you advice on Miami which you already ruled out. The cheapest Brickell or Midtown apartment is going to be $1500 anyway.

The only other cities that are going to match population wise are Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and possibly Jacksonville. You don't want those cities, so Orlando it is.

OP, move to Orlando, why do you care what others are saying? I lived in Orlando 20 years ago, but I was in the suburbs and I liked it a lot.

Move to Orlando and let us know how it is. I think you will like it!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I can only give you advice on Miami which you already ruled out. The cheapest Brickell or Midtown apartment is going to be $1500 anyway.

The only other cities that are going to match population wise are Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and possibly Jacksonville. You don't want those cities, so Orlando it is.

OP, move to Orlando, why do you care what others are saying? I lived in Orlando 20 years ago, but I was in the suburbs and I liked it a lot.

Move to Orlando and let us know how it is. I think you will like it!
Well, I'm flexible. I could live anywhere. And I'm genuinely curious about every opportunity. I've narrowed it down to Orlando after seeing everything, but I admit that I haven't seen every square inch of the state. I was hoping maybe there was something I missed. If not, I was at least hoping locals could help me home in on the area and find the best bang for my buck.

But it seems like nobody can give me a better idea than what I've already come up with, so that's fine. I tend to be extremely diligent with my research, meaning I figured I wouldn't really learn much here. Still worth a shot, although it's a far more disappointing forum than I assumed it would be. It's free, though. No loss on my part.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 PM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Well, I'm flexible. I could live anywhere. And I'm genuinely curious about every opportunity. I've narrowed it down to Orlando after seeing everything, but I admit that I haven't seen every square inch of the state. I was hoping maybe there was something I missed. If not, I was at least hoping locals could help me home in on the area and find the best bang for my buck.

But it seems like nobody can give me a better idea than what I've already come up with, so that's fine. I tend to be extremely diligent with my research, meaning I figured I wouldn't really learn much here. Still worth a shot, although it's a far more disappointing forum than I assumed it would be. It's free, though. No loss on my part.
Pray tell, what were you expecting???? Orlando is basically Raleigh stuck in the middle of Florida. I like it, much as I like Raleigh, but it is NOT A BIG CITY, not does it offer urban amenities. That is the reality of it. DowntownbOrlando had a nice Publix and a handful of cafes. Other than during MLS games and weekend nights, it is dead. I think it is cool for what it is (the overall metro is nice) but downtown is very lackluster. Wife and I have long ago stopped going downtown for nights out, ever since Winter Park Village and that central part of Heathrow opened. I'll side with Kyle on this one.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:

Why would you go to an online forum, if you don't want to hear opinions? lol

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages."

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know where it went sour for you, but that comment made me lol.

For me, I love living in Orlando. You can easily search craigslist for apartments in Downtown Orlando to see what you can afford.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
More opinions and subjective views.

No offense, but you're not providing any value here.

I've already provided the baseline to MY expectations of urbanity and luxury. I see The Sevens as a luxury pad. It's beautiful, made of concrete, and provides the amenities I'm looking for. If you only consider The Vue as luxury, move there. As for urbanity, Orlando does it for me. Live theater? Check. National events? Check. Dozens of restaurants in walking distance? Check. Public transportation? Check. Parks? Check. Farmers Market? Check. Big-league sports? Check. It's got what I'm looking for. Maybe that doesn't conform to your definition of "true urban city experience", which is fine. At that point, make a separate thread debating Orlando's urbanity versus other cities'. I'm not interested in it.

I've set the baseline. Downtown Orlando. A one-bedroom apartment on the level of Steelhouse or The Sevens for $1,200/month. If you can find a better or similar urban environment, a better or similar apartment, at a better or similar price, in Florida, by all means.... LET ME KNOW.

I never said that Miami wouldn't be more urban. But I'm not going to pay $2k+ per month for rent. So it's out. Plus, I don't like Miami. If you like Miami, go there.

If you can't provide a better/bigger apartment in an urban environment at the baseline (and price) I've set (again: Downtown Orlando), then you can't provide any value here. I'm looking for REAL-LIFE APARTMENTS AT REAL-LIFE PRICES IN REAL-LIFE PLACES. I can't be any clearer here, guys.
The parent site is City Data.
This is the City Data Forums.

This also isn't about what I like or don't like, this is about responding to your thread- which I was on point with before as something you're using to seek out validation.

That said, if it all meets your baselines for urbanity and luxury- you're all good.
Sounds like low expectations all around.

You might also want to consider The Florida Mall Hotel- it's in walking distance to even more restaurants, and has better amenities than most buildings downtown.

Take it from a resident though- coming to Orlando for public transit, vast walkability, and 'luxury' living in the 'North Quarter' sounds like you got duped completely by dumpy marketing.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Why would you go to an online forum, if you don't want to hear opinions? lol

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages."

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know where it went sour for you, but that comment made me lol.

For me, I love living in Orlando. You can easily search craigslist for apartments in Downtown Orlando to see what you can afford.
I wasn't asking for opinions on Orlando vs. Tampa (or any other city). But that's exactly what everyone wants to talk about.

I asked for information and hard data on the cheapest living option in/near downtown, unless I already nailed it with the options I presented, yet I really received nothing.

If I wanted to find out how Orlando compared to every other city in Florida (or anywhere else, since a whole lot of other places have been mentioned), I would have created a thread about that. But I didn't.

What I can say is that there are a lot of miserable folks in Orlando. You guys are a sad lot. I honestly feel sorry for some of you. But I do have better things to do. I see no value in this thread. So I'll move on.

Out.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
I wasn't asking for opinions on Orlando vs. Tampa (or any other city). But that's exactly what everyone wants to talk about.

I asked for information and hard data on the cheapest living option in/near downtown, unless I already nailed it with the options I presented, yet I really received nothing.

If I wanted to find out how Orlando compared to every other city in Florida (or anywhere else, since a whole lot of other places have been mentioned), I would have created a thread about that. But I didn't.

What I can say is that there are a lot of miserable folks in Orlando. You guys are a sad lot. I honestly feel sorry for some of you. But I do have better things to do. I see no value in this thread. So I'll move on.

Out.
I did a quick read through your original post and I don't think Orlando will be a big enough difference. Downtown Fort Lauderdale, Downtown Miami/Brickell and South Beach are more urban than the places in Orlando you mentioned, especially South Beach, which you really could live without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando