Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering if you know. I bought a house in Clermont and had it pressure washed. The stucco came of from a piece of wall at the top, barely noticeable. But HOA is demanding we paint the entire house. That would be around $2k. What can I do? Any advice?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM

226 posts, read 249,369 times
Read your Declaration for godsake. The short answer is they probably can...but get informed

Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Read your Declaration for godsake. The short answer is they probably can...but get informed
Sure, but was wondering if they actually enforce it. I have another house in PA and they can't enforce the by-laws, especially the ridiculous ones. The manager admitted to me that the rules there (PA) were impossible to enforce.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Well if it was fine before, you should just be able to repair and paint the patch that fell off. However, if it fails their inspection, then nothing you can do about it. It's one of the downfalls of buying a house in an HOA.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:02 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRicci View Post
Sure, but was wondering if they actually enforce it. I have another house in PA and they can't enforce the by-laws, especially the ridiculous ones. The manager admitted to me that the rules there (PA) were impossible to enforce.
You are aware that there is no such thing as unilateral HOA by-laws across the country right?
Just because your HOA in PA doesn't enforce their by-laws doesn't mean the HOA at your Clermont house won't.
Yes they can force you to paint the exterior of your house if you are in violation.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:04 AM

In Florida, the law is on side of the filed HOA corporate documents with the county and the state. If you don't follow them, they can, and will probably seek to enforce the documents via an action at law.

Their enforcement can not be unreasonable however. Keep in mind, in 99% of the HOA's here in FL, you can't even paint your house any color you want...you must seeks written (not merely verbal) approval. This sort of thing keeps some jackazz from painting his house lime green with brown trim, with a barrel tile rood that is white.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:49 AM

27,216 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRicci View Post
Hi, wondering if you know. I bought a house in Clermont and had it pressure washed. The stucco came of from a piece of wall at the top, barely noticeable. But HOA is demanding we paint the entire house. That would be around $2k. What can I do? Any advice?
Thank you
Sorry but it defies logic that they would ask that you repaint an entire house (all four sides) if it were as minor as you're making it out to be, and would guess the pressure washing exposed more visible problems other than the small piece of crumbled stucco on one side.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
In Florida, the law is on side of the filed HOA corporate documents with the county and the state. If you don't follow them, they can, and will probably seek to enforce the documents via an action at law.

Their enforcement can not be unreasonable however. Keep in mind, in 99% of the HOA's here in FL, you can't even paint your house any color you want...you must seeks written (not merely verbal) approval. This sort of thing keeps some jackazz from painting his house lime green with brown trim, with a barrel tile rood that is white.
Yeah, like the dingbat down the street who couldn't afford to replace his pink barrel tile roof, so he got a new shingle roof and PAINTED it hot pink. Yep, painted it. Hot pink.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Yeah, like the dingbat down the street who couldn't afford to replace his pink barrel tile roof, so he got a new shingle roof and PAINTED it hot pink. Yep, painted it. Hot pink.

Man, I hope you're kidding. that's why people like HOA's in most cases

Old 04-23-2017, 05:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Man, I hope you're kidding. that's why people like HOA's in most cases
Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business as to what color a person paints their house or roof. If it is something that could cause a public problem like unsanitary conditions outside the home, etc, then I understand, but hey if a person wants a pink house, they should be able to live in a pink house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: