Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:20 AM

617 posts, read 832,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
When I trade homes I don't fret about buy low/sell high or buyer's market/seller's market. I buy when I buy and I sell when I sell.

In the end, it is what it is.
Eh, to each their own but I know most wouldn't feel this way if they bought for $400k in 2007 and were forced to sell in 2012 for less than half that, or were foreclosed on like many were.

If only we had a crystal ball to predict the peak of the market so we could sell, and then wait it out for a few years to buy again to get the good deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM

46 posts, read 63,688 times
Thanks to all that chimed in with their comments; I appreciate the discussion. My conclusion is that right now it's better to buy new, although we are talking places as far as Mount Dora, Cleremont, Sorrento, and Ocoee. Some builders are providing $8K back for closing. Median square feet is about 2,200 - 2,400. Myself I'm thinking Mount Dora; very nice place and a historic-looking.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seion View Post
Thanks to all that chimed in with their comments; I appreciate the discussion. My conclusion is that right now it's better to buy new, although we are talking places as far as Mount Dora, Cleremont, Sorrento, and Ocoee. Some builders are providing $8K back for closing. Median square feet is about 2,200 - 2,400. Myself I'm thinking Mount Dora; very nice place and a historic-looking.
Those are all horrible places.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:03 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
This is what worries me. The 2007 prices were an anomaly, an aberration that obviously got "corrected" (painfully, I might add). So going back and creep up to those prices rapidly would eventually get us in the same predicament. Nothing I can do about it; just watching it unfold as it doesn't make sense for these house, some of them really looking old, especially inside, be at these price levels. I mean, if these houses were updated and looking great, then yes, $250K+ and more would make sense. Now it's almost like there is no interest in doing any upgrades; just put it on the market at a high price and see who bites. But when these houses have green old carpet and old appliances, it makes you wonder why. At the end, it may be a great investment opportunity to fix them up, and then sell them for $350K+ later on. But this just closes the affordability door for people. Oh well, let it be; nothing we can do about it. Just surprised at the prices vs. house conditions.
I would say the lower prices are what was the anomaly. You seem to not realize that it works both ways. What's good for buyers, might not be good for sellers.

For instance, you buy that new house for $250,000, but then, when the next recession hits, that home will be worth $130,000... and people will say the same thing you just said, which is to say, that the price was "corrected." Whereas, houses in Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Winter Park, will NOT go down that price, even in a recession. That's the point. Newness of house does not correlate to value.

Also, as I said, you don't know if the neighborhood will thrive, or if the HOA will shut down and all the amenities will be closed and all the neighbors leave.

Plus, the idea is that I think this is the new normal. And the reason why prices are going up is because there are plenty of people from up north who have money and big pensions and are able to buy these houses cash. They wouldn't be going up if there wasn't a market for them.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:09 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
The market goes in cycles of booms and busts but the long term trend is up.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Those are all horrible places.
Mt. Dora is not horrible and its quite nice.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
I love that the OP likes Mount Dora because is it "a very nice place and historic looking," but can't appreciate why someone may not want a brand new home.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Mt. Dora is not horrible and its quite nice.
Mount Dora isnt a place I'd want to live because I prefer larger cities, but for someone who likes small towns Mount Dora is a perfect choice, very quaint, very beautiful!

Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 63,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I love that the OP likes Mount Dora because is it "a very nice place and historic looking," but can't appreciate why someone may not want a brand new home.
Just because it's historic doesn't mean I have to ponder on whether I should buy an old home that may need a lot of repairs, some to bring it up to code, and a new house that gives me peace of mind.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Just because it's historic doesn't mean I have to ponder on whether I should buy an old home that may need a lot of repairs, some to bring it up to code, and a new house that gives me peace of mind.

If you're worried about making repairs, homeownership may not be for you. You will be making repairs no matter the age of the home. Lots of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando