Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You clearly then don't know anything about Sanford. The Sanford Historic District and surrounding neighborhoods fit that description to a tee. The only lacking element is proximity to downtown Orlando, but given the presence of just a few matches in the metro area felt it was important to mention.
Because I am not delusional, when I think Sanford, I don't think young professionals, close to downtown, excellent public schools, diverse groups of people, diverse activities or socially and politically progressive and pragmatic. There are a few areas that can fit this description; Sanford is no where near the top.....or even the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Because I am not delusional, when I think Sanford, I don't think young professionals, close to downtown, excellent public schools, diverse groups of people, diverse activities or socially and politically progressive and pragmatic. There are a few areas that can fit this description; Sanford is no where near the top.....or even the middle.
You're clearly out of the loop, and in fact the delusional one. The downtown Sanford historic neighborhoods are filled with young professionals and inventory for homes is red-hot with very little available inventory, the public schools are "A' rated and trail only Oviedo in what is the second highest rated school district in the state (google Goldsboro Elementary, Sanford Middle School, Millennium Middle School, Seminole High School and the Crooms Academy of Technology), is very diverse racially (white, black, hispanic) and socio-economically (gay, straight and all income levels) and quite progressive as well. Take off the Trayon Martin blinders and the garbage people spew on the internet, and investigate versus the ignorant approach of perpetuating falsehoods.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM

12 posts, read 14,096 times
Excellent public schools can be found in Winter Park, it has a fun and lively downtown with lots of community events. If you can't afford the Winter Park 32789 prices, please note that school zone boundaries also extend into 32817 and 32792. Depending on your price range, you can afford something nicer in those zips and may end up on a lake or in a lake community and with a pool. Commute times and tolls need to be considered. Being close to a major highway like 408 or the 417 will save you a lot of agony.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 AM

617 posts, read 833,271 times
I will say the downtown historic district of Sanford is very nice and may surprise some people who haven't been there in awhile. My favorite part is the little strip on Sanford Ave. with Sanford Brewing and Wops Hops Brewing. Buster's Bistro is there and is a great Belgian beer bar that I would highly recommend. This is a nice strip of bars and breweries that is up and coming and I definitely see a lot of potential here. I think I saw on Facebook the other day that Wops Hops and Sanford Brewing are doing the first ever block party on this street. It certainly seems that they're trying to improve the Sanford image through its downtown. It's a work in progress, but it's working.

Here's where Kyle stops liking my post.

I've driven through and around the neighborhoods coming up from 417 to the breweries and downtown, and they are miles away from being nice, desirable, or even remotely upscale. The "charming bungalows" in this area are not like the actual charming bungalows in areas like the parks (Winter, Delaney, Thornton, etc.). The majority of the homes in Sanford are not kept up, not attractive, and sometimes downright dilapidated looking. Again, I can see the potential. I'm sure there were times way before my day when the desirable areas today were not as desirable or charming. But Sanford has a VERY long way to go to achieve this. It will take probably decades of investors coming in to gentrify and build new modern homes on some of the vacant lots. However, this will drive out a lot of the current residents who are clearly low income and will change the entire residential dynamic of the historic Sanford area. I could see a lot of push-back to this happening, if it ever even begins to happen.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
You're clearly out of the loop, and in fact the delusional one. The downtown Sanford historic neighborhoods are filled with young professionals and inventory for homes is red-hot with very little available inventory, the public schools are "A' rated and trail only Oviedo in what is the second highest rated school district in the state (google Goldsboro Elementary, Sanford Middle School, Millennium Middle School, Seminole High School and the Crooms Academy of Technology), is very diverse racially (white, black, hispanic) and socio-economically (gay, straight and all income levels) and quite progressive as well. Take off the Trayon Martin blinders and the garbage people spew on the internet, and investigate versus the ignorant approach of perpetuating falsehoods.

Glad you like it there. There is somewhere for everyone. Some people love Ohio.

I just searched the downtown historic neighborhood of Sanford, and there are 5 houses for sale or pending under $65,000. Sounds like a booming red hot market for young professionals. The highest priced listing is $384,000. This is a top tier neighborhood for sure. People are banging down doors. I'm surprised the realtors can even sleep.

Last edited by idr591; 05-10-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

I just searched the downtown historic neighborhood of Sanford, and there are 5 houses for sale or pending under $65,000. Sounds like a booming red hot market for young professionals. The highest priced listing is $384,000. This is a top tier neighborhood for sure. People are banging down doors. I'm surprised the realtors can even sleep.
I dont think he loves it there because 90% of his posts are how much he hates living in Central Florida and how every city in the country has better jobs and cheaper housing. That's one reason why I cant imagine Sanford being a good place to live. If someone owned a Mercedes C Class, yet all we hear them do is complain about Mercedes day after day... I'm not going to really believe them that the C class is a good car.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Shockingly ignorant post from you.... If you had any clue you would know how ridiculous you sound.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I dont think he loves it there because 90% of his posts are how much he hates living in Central Florida and how every city in the country has better jobs and cheaper housing. That's one reason why I cant imagine Sanford being a good place to live. If someone owned a Mercedes C Class, yet all we hear them do is complain about Mercedes day after day... I'm not going to really believe them that the C class is a good car.
Not everyone shakes pompoms and declares this area as the best for everyone because you're so frickin infatuated. I suggest other places for people who have either seemingly found Orlando to be some panacea because they hate their life where they are and loved their trip to Disney, or those who think it's so cheap here and magically their tapped out budgets will open up to allow a free/easy lifestyle. And the trouble with you like the other bright bulb is that you operate off of " I can't imagine" versus the reality. People come here looking for feedback grounded in reality, not some asinine misjudgement...

Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Good grief, what's with you guys and the negative towards Sanford? It does indeed have some of the nicest, most affluent neighborhood in the metro area. What are you guys looking at? The same people suggesting Lake Mary as some sort of panacea are the ones bashing Sanford; they're pretty much the same, with Sanford having a much more established core. Drive through 46 to Markham road to Orange and then through Markham Woods and tell me it's ****. I mean, come on.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:47 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Not everyone shakes pompoms and declares this area as the best for everyone because you're so frickin infatuated. I suggest other places for people who have either seemingly found Orlando to be some panacea because they hate their life where they are and loved their trip to Disney, or those who think it's so cheap here and magically their tapped out budgets will open up to allow a free/easy lifestyle. And the trouble with you like the other bright bulb is that you operate off of " I can't imagine" versus the reality. People come here looking for feedback grounded in reality, not some asinine misjudgement...
Nobody is telling you to wave pompoms and say it's the best city in the world for everyone. However, you seem to be the opposite extreme, making it seem like it's so horrible, nobody can afford to buy homes, nobody makes above minimum wage, there is nothing to do for fun etc. You also seem to assume every person wanting to move to Orlando are idiots who only dream about Disney, which I find very odd. First, most people don't move because they had a fun week at Disney. Some might joke about it, but those who actually transfer jobs, sell their home, etc aren't idiots (most of them anyways). Also, there is nothing wrong with the theme parks being a reason to want to live in Orlando. I absolutely love theme parks and they are one of the reasons why I chose Orlando and it's better than ever. I can't imagine how I used to have to spend $100+ for one day, having to wake up at 8AM and wait in long lines all day/night to get my money's worth. Now I can spend a few hundred dollars per year, go anytime I want, go for just the last couple of hours before they close when lines are short and weather is cool, it's great.

And like I said, it's hard to take you serious about Sanford, when all you do is complain about your life given you live in Sanford. I will say it again, it's like someone who drives a Mercedes who only complains about it and then when asked what car should I buy, you say MERCEDES! I'm not sure if I have ever seen you write a truly positive thing about living in Orlando, well technically you live in Sanford, maybe that's why you hate your life here so much, at least that is the vibe you give from your posts. I know I'm not the only member here who thinks this about you. If you truly don't hate your living situation, you should really think about your posts and the impression they give people. Just saying I'm not saying Sanford is a bad place because personally, I've only had dinner there a couple times, but based on your posts, I can only believe it's reputation is closer to reality otherwise your posts wouldn't always be so depressing and cynical.

I have a lot of respect for Arcenal's posts because from his history here, he seems very level-headed, honest about the pros and cons etc and seems like he is pretty well traveled and/or experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando