Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtripli View Post
Thanks so much everyone...I noticed no one mentioned any areas east of Orlando?...Are there any communites out that way you'd recommend?
Lake Nona is East pretty much, but anything else would put you way over the commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 06:30 AM

17 posts, read 24,989 times
Default Lake Nona?

Are sink holes a concern in the Lake Nona area? How would we get information on this , especially if we decide to go with new construction?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Are sink holes a concern in the Lake Nona area? How would we get information on this , especially if we decide to go with new construction?
They can happen anywhere in CFL. I wouldn't worry

Old 05-28-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Very low risk, dont worry about it. Some parts of Florida it is a major risk, but not here.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:59 PM

49 posts, read 99,484 times
And if Dr. Philips is not to your budget or taste...and schools are not an issue, you can find some affordable places a bit more south. Champions Gate area. Even with seasonal Disney traffic it's 30 min or less to Sea World. Many neighborhoods here are more resort oriented, so will have the amenities you're looking for. This is the Davenport area you mentioned. I live here. But you don't move here for the schools...D rated. Also be aware of the Sabal Trail Pipeline compressor station near Reunion. If such a thing nearby concerns you, I'd avoid a couple mile radius around it.

In about the same budget as Dr. Phillips there is Celebration which is a very pleasant small town, plopped in the middle of the Disney tourist corridor. In town you're fairly removed from the bustle. I find it a very pleasant place to take walks. There's a large Catholic church in town, not sure if they have a school. In addition, I believe some neighborhoods have community amenities like fitness room and pool. It very much has an old fashioned small town feel.

You may actually want to look into the schools you want for your child first, even if you're not using the public system....being that getting from one area to another in the Orlando area CAN be an hour or more proposition. School drop off and pick up can be just a significant as a work commute. That really might narrow your options a great deal.

Lake Mary is great....but yeah, not a commute you want. We lived there when dh worked in Maitland and that was bad enough.

Last edited by NextBigAdventure; 06-02-2017 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post

Lake Mary is great....but yeah, not a commute you want. We lived there when dh worked in Maitland and that was bad enough.
To Seaworld, I agree that the commute would be atrocious. To Maitland, I find it to be relatively decent, with multiple alternatives aside from I4. I did it for a while and would routinely use either Markham Woods red down or Lake Emma to Longwood and Ronald Reagan to Maitland. But that's irrelevant in this situation.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

17 posts, read 24,989 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextBigAdventure View Post
And if Dr. Philips is not to your budget or taste...and schools are not an issue, you can find some affordable places a bit more south. Champions Gate area. Even with seasonal Disney traffic it's 30 min or less to Sea World. Many neighborhoods here are more resort oriented, so will have the amenities you're looking for. This is the Davenport area you mentioned. I live here. But you don't move here for the schools...D rated. Also be aware of the Sabal Trail Pipeline compressor station near Reunion. If such a thing nearby concerns you, I'd avoid a couple mile radius around it.

In about the same budget as Dr. Phillips there is Celebration which is a very pleasant small town, plopped in the middle of the Disney tourist corridor. In town you're fairly removed from the bustle. I find it a very pleasant place to take walks. There's a large Catholic church in town, not sure if they have a school. In addition, I believe some neighborhoods have community amenities like fitness room and pool. It very much has an old fashioned small town feel.

You may actually want to look into the schools you want for your child first, even if you're not using the public system....being that getting from one area to another in the Orlando area CAN be an hour or more proposition. School drop off and pick up can be just a significant as a work commute. That really might narrow your options a great deal.

Thanks so much. I will definetly check out the Champions Gate area.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM

166 posts, read 352,735 times
Dr. Philips is nice and has many expensive homes. So how does Dr. Philips HS have 46% of their students from low income families?

Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Dr. Philips is nice and has many expensive homes. So how does Dr. Philips HS have 46% of their students from low income families?
I'm assuming quite a bit of Millenia/Conroy spills into Dr Philips?

Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Tangelo Park and various other areas. Dr. Phillips is a nice affluent area, but the high school is huge, so it gets students from some low income areas. It used to be a solid A school, but when the zones changed the low income students dragged the scores down, but the academics are still good. I graduated from Dr. Phillips High and I attended a couple really great private schools and I thought my education at DPH was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando