Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM

73 posts, read 64,995 times

Advertisements

Beware of OPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynex View Post
Beware of OPD.

Beware of people that are worried about OPD.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Exactly!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Exactly, don't cause trouble and there won't be trouble.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 AM

113 posts, read 182,304 times
Default Agree

99.999% of all law enforcement officers are just doing their job trying to make home another night. It is really important people understand the increased danger they are in and yea expect they might be on more of an edge than in past years because of it.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
I would say that your communication skills could be improved. This would help the situation.
HA! How typical.

Blaming the victim.

It's this guy's fault that cop was a psycho and put his hand on his gun when there was no immediate threat to cop's safety.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:13 AM

526 posts, read 376,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
HA! How typical.

Blaming the victim.

It's this guy's fault that cop was a psycho and put his hand on his gun when there was no immediate threat to cop's safety.
Thanks for your defense...I don't believe to be a victim, I have only described a situation and, maybe, a better english would have helped. What I discussed is the way that the cop used.
It was clear that I and my wife were tourists, he could be more quiet!!!
It was day in a gas station with people that we did gasoline e people that we went in and out off the shop...there was no danger....

Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM

73 posts, read 64,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieGCC View Post
99.999% of all law enforcement officers are just doing their job trying to make home another night. It is really important people understand the increased danger they are in and yea expect they might be on more of an edge than in past years because of it.
Sweet dreams in the happiest place on earth.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
Thanks for your defense...I don't believe to be a victim, I have only described a situation and, maybe, a better english would have helped. What I discussed is the way that the cop used.
It was clear that I and my wife were tourists, he could be more quiet!!!
It was day in a gas station with people that we did gasoline e people that we went in and out off the shop...there was no danger....
Most police officer deaths in the US happen from these kinds of stops.I mentioned this before but maybe you didnt read it. It would be a different story if the cop pulled out the gun and aimed it at you, but simply putting a hand on the gun while holstered is nothing threatening to a non-criminal, in my view anyways.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
I agree, but at the root of the problem is communication and I think here that more of the blame falls on the police officer. The OP is from Italy so English is probably not his first language. Any officer working in Orlando, a world-wide tourist destination, probably encounters people who do not speak English at all or who have a limited command of it, on a daily basis. My family and I often travel to Orlando and, on every trip, get asked for directions or help with something in a different language. If it's Spanish, we can answer in Spanish. If it's Russian, my son can reply. Anything else, we are stuck with a few common words, gestures, pointing or referring to a map, but somehow we get our point across in a calm, friendly manner.

I think this post in concerning because one, we have an officer who lives and works in Orlando, who didn't immediately pick up on the fact that the OP is not 100% fluent in English. Two, he was apparently also ignorant to the fact that is it necessary to remove the safety belt in order to exit the vehicle to pump gas. If he wanted to get him on the offense of driving without a seat belt, he had to observe it. Three, tourists are easy marks for police trying to boost their quotas. The odds of them fighting a ticket are slim because they aren't local. Four, the officer became increasingly more confrontational instead of backing off. If I saw a police officer loosen his gun from its holster when I was cooperating, giving him the paper he asked for etc, I would be terrified. Finally, the officer only stopped when another person intervened, rather brave for these days. To me, this means the officer was not going to stop (he had already confirmed the OP was wearing a seat belt) until he realized there was a witness close by and it would be more hassle than it was worth.

It's also sad that a few posters immediately commented on the OP's communication skills. What other languages do they speak and write in?

OP, should you ever have a situation like that come up again, try to note the name on the officer's badge and the jurisdiction that is on his car (like state police, city of Orlando). Do not directly ask him for it because he will make things far worse for you in that moment. Write a letter to the department after you are home stating what happened and asking that they discuss the incident with the officer.
really nice response, Poster, I second it (I am in Orlando almost yearly to visit family and I agree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando