Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 10:02 AM

33 posts, read 91,826 times

Advertisements

We are looking to get out of the snobby, unfriendly area that is Boca Raton. We would like a more exciting lifestyle as well. How friendly and young is the community in and around Oviedo? Is there much of a community? What do you all think? Thanks!

Young= around 25-30 btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
I would not characterize it as young, except the area is close to the University of Central Florida. If by young, you mean newer development than yes that area is young. I think Oviedo is more family and retiree oriented. Winter Springs is even moreso retiree oriented.
I think that younger people demographically tend to live closer to downtown around Thornton Park, College Park, Winter Park, etc. and the Altamonte Springs and Millenia/Metrowest areas.
I think there are very few areas in town that will be as stuffy as Boca Raton, but some pockets of Winter Park and Windermere could come off that way.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 AM

The median age is around 33-34 according to what I have read(oviedo). Is orlando generally a fun place to be?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 PM

There is definitely a lot to do and the great weather helps making outdoor activities an option. I find it very fun and young, like you originally asked. That is why I think it is funny you ask about Oviedo. It is definitely nice there, but more sleepy and suburban than energetic and fun.
There are a lot of venues, live entertainment, nightclubs, theme parks (duh, right ?!?), divey bars, ethnic restaurants (but more than average chain restaurants), shopping (both high end and factory outlet variety). I think our tourism base supports more variety and number of options available than a metropolitan area our size would normally have. There are about 8 major malls. For the more plush, like what you may be used to in Boca, options are located in the Mall at Millenia, Restaurant Row, and Park Avenue in Winter Park.
There are several beautiful older neighborhoods on treelined streets overlooking lakeside parks that give parts of Orlando more of a Southern vibe like Jacksonville than South Florida or Tampa Bay.
I love living here. What type of things do you do for fun?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Oviedo is generally more family oriented area except right around UCF. If you're looking for a younger vibe on that side of town I would look in Waterford Lakes or Avalon Park. If you're not tied to the East side of town try looking in Downtown, Millenia Area and Altamonte.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
There is definitely a lot to do and the great weather helps making outdoor activities an option. I find it very fun and young, like you originally asked. That is why I think it is funny you ask about Oviedo. It is definitely nice there, but more sleepy and suburban than energetic and fun.
There are a lot of venues, live entertainment, nightclubs, theme parks (duh, right ?!?), divey bars, ethnic restaurants (but more than average chain restaurants), shopping (both high end and factory outlet variety). I think our tourism base supports more variety and number of options available than a metropolitan area our size would normally have. There are about 8 major malls. For the more plush, like what you may be used to in Boca, options are located in the Mall at Millenia, Restaurant Row, and Park Avenue in Winter Park.
There are several beautiful older neighborhoods on treelined streets overlooking lakeside parks that give parts of Orlando more of a Southern vibe like Jacksonville than South Florida or Tampa Bay.
I love living here. What type of things do you do for fun?
Hobbies- computer gaming, board gaming, sports(volleyball, softball, tennis, ping pong, football), Music(phish, pink floyd), reading, sci fi fan.

Wife plays piano, does theater, and shares my interests.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Sounds like you are down to earth, bohemian?
I think you would like College Park or Thornton Park a lot.
Big assumption, but these areas and Winter Park are more artistic.
There are some outdoor volleyball nets and a skate park around Robinson and Crystal Lake that are well attended with people playing half the sports you listed. If you prefer suburbia, there are areas out by UCF and Waterford that you may like. I get a more SUV/family vibe from over there. Nothing wrong with that though.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Aye, going up Sunday-Monday and checking out aviedo, baldwin park, and I asked the broker to suggest a third place to look. I'll report back after!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando