Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:15 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,736,486 times

Advertisements

Thanks this is exactly what I wanted to know. I am not necessarily for or against building. I'd love to see a mix. One thing I'm happy to get away from is the density in California. I guess if it gets like that here I can always find another city that is still developing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Compared to California we get a lot more stuff done and the traffic is so much better along with our infastructure here. We have so many parks, schools, new developments, it's great. One of the main reasons I chose Orlando.
So you're comparing the entire state of California against Orlando? Also there is no way in hell you can legitimately say Orlando has better infrastructure with one interstate highway and a few toll roads. I'm fairly certain California does quite well with parks, schools and new development too which aren't exactly "exclusive".

Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Could be worse....just look at Houston
Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the country with three times the population, so go figure.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So you're comparing the entire state of California against Orlando? Also there is no way in hell you can legitimately say Orlando has better infrastructure with one interstate highway and a few toll roads. I'm fairly certain California does quite well with parks, schools and new development too which aren't exactly "exclusive".
I lived 7 years in San Francisco and frequented Los Angeles. Your "feelings" is less than my actual experience living there lol.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the country with three times the population, so go figure.
Yup, the largest metro with no zoning or planning of any kind. So no Orlando is not the disaster you make it out to be compared to a place like Houston although I will admit i-4 has been woefully mismanaged and undeveloped for decades

Old 10-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I lived 7 years in San Francisco and frequented Los Angeles. Your "feelings" is less than my actual experience living there lol.
bmw is right. I lived in California my whole life and the infrastructure is really that bad. It's because California NEVER invests in roads. They raise taxes to do fix the roads, but then the money never actually gets used for the roads. It usually gets siphoned away for something else. So yes, I JUST moved from San Diego and I can say Orlando has better roads. The I4 may be a mess, but at least they are investing in it. California won't be widening their freeways any time soon.

Last edited by stablegenius; 10-13-2017 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
bmw is right. I lived in California my whole life and the infrastructure is really that bad. It's because California NEVER invests in roads. They raise taxes to do fix the roads, but then the money never actually gets used for the roads. It usually gets siphoned away for something else. So yes, I JUST moved from San Diego and I can say Orlando has better roads. The I4 may be a mess, but at least they are investing in it. California won't be widening their freeways any time soon.
Exactly, it's crazy to think where all that money goes because they tax and fee everything. They just created another new fee when you renew your registration that's something like $75-100 if I'm not mistaken to go towards highway maintenance... like seriously, they don't have enough money as is? People like Kyle have this idea of California as all the roads are sparkling clean and maintained. Gov. Brown just declared a state of emergency because of a lot of recent deaths related to Hep A from all the homeless poop. California is a beautiful state with some very beautiful places, but when someone dreams about their infrastructure or cleanliness etc they are so far off from reality.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:48 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
Yes Florida does invest in "infrastructure" if all you mean is highways and roads....whereas Cali has trains.
As for politics Florida is a moderate state compared to the rest of the South but the major metros (where the vast majority of the state's population lives ) like Orlando will continue to become more liberal as the population grows.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
So you're saying what exists in San Francisco and LA speaks for the entire state of California? That's a broad sweeping statement of the 3rd largest state.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
They just created another new fee when you renew your registration that's something like $75-100 if I'm not mistaken to go towards highway maintenance... like seriously, they don't have enough money as is?
Yes that's right. I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but they recently raised car and gas taxes and it was the largest increase in history. Supposedly, it's because we desperately need money for the roads, but if history is any indication, only about 10% if they're lucky will go to roads. You wouldn't believe the state of things there. I listen to an LA based radio show and in LA they are actually removing lanes to create more congestion, all in an effort to get people out of their cars walking or biking. They think if they make life as miserable as possible for people on the roads, people will bike, but if you live 10 miles or more from work, biking is not practical, especially if you have to drop off your kids somewhere.

They have this vision that they can build high rises and everyone can live close to where they work, but it doesn't work in reality. It's a great idea, but most people are not going to find a job right where they work, it just doesn't happen. And if you already have a mortgage it's not that easy to pick up and move to where your job is. And with the state of the economy over the last 20 years, who knows if a job will last more than 2-3 years anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: