Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 PM

42 posts, read 167,762 times

Advertisements

My son and daughter in law just purchased a home in Groveland in a new subdivision off of 50 just west of Clermont. My husband and I currently live in Henderson NV. We retired here 5 years ago from Orlando so I am familiar with the Orlando area, just not as far west as Groveland. I also know that there has been tremendous growth in the west side so there is a lot of new subdivisions that I wouldn't know about.

We don't have any grandchildren at the moment, but I thought I'd think ahead. I have offered to babysit the child (children) through the age of three, and they have accepted my offer. Because of this my husband and I want to purchase a home near theirs. In addition to location, while we would probably enjoy a 55+ community, and I know there are many in that area, babysitting 5 days a week would not be allowed.

We would prefer a newer home but are open to a nice subdivision regardless of age. Our top price would be 305,000. My husband walks our dogs every morning 2-3 miles so some place where he could continue that without being on the edge of some highway would be nice.

Any suggestions?

And thank you in advance for your comments or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 02:17 PM

17,197 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Ever look into Howey-In-The-Hills? I've known a few people who lived in Mission Inn. It's roughly 15 minutes or so North of Groveland off of Hwy 19. Other nice areas nearby can be found in neighboring Yalaha. Lakes & Springs is decent as well. At your price range, you should be able to get something in Mission Inn however, which to me has some much nicer houses. It's also a golf community with its own restaurant.
Are you looking for more rural or suburban setting?

Old 10-27-2017, 02:46 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Minneola which is quiet, has the open walkable space and even new construction in your price range.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/15_zm/

Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 PM

42 posts, read 167,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Ever look into Howey-In-The-Hills? I've known a few people who lived in Mission Inn. It's roughly 15 minutes or so North of Groveland off of Hwy 19. Other nice areas nearby can be found in neighboring Yalaha. Lakes & Springs is decent as well. At your price range, you should be able to get something in Mission Inn however, which to me has some much nicer houses. It's also a golf community with its own restaurant.
Are you looking for more rural or suburban setting?
We would probably be looking for more of a suburban setting, I really didn't want to have a septic or well - wanted public water. I will definitely check out Mission Inn - my husband plays tennis and I think they have tennis there.

Thank you very much!!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:06 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Minneola is seeing a lot of new development due to the new turnpike entrance/exit that should be open in that area now.

My brother in law was interested in Ardmore Reserve/Dreamfinders, there is also a CalAtlantic community going up nearby.

As far as west Orlando, we are in the Summerlake community in Winter Garden/Hamlin/Horizons West (What ever you want to refer to it as lol) and its also seeing a big boom in development. The price point might be a challenge, but can be done (Especially if you don't mind a town home). Here's one example of whats on the market:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M61189-26038

Old 10-27-2017, 05:13 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
You can check the Legends subdivision which is all age but has many of the amenities of the 55+ subdivisions. The lots are small but the houses vary in size. If I remember correctly, they began building houses around the year 2000. There's a nice golf course that's fun to play. HOA fees will be higher because of the amenities, although I'm fairly sure joining the golf club is optional.

If you're looking for a little larger lot, check out the subdivisions south of Lake Minnehaha such as Montclair. It's a smaller subdivision without the amenities of something like Legends, but it is very nice. Lots run around 1/3 to 1/2 acre. They began building around 20 years ago.

There are newer subdivisions along Hammock Ridge Road such as Timberlane and Fox Chase that have decent sized lots, and they don't have the clubhouses, etc either. I believe building for these began around 2008.

These examples are all well-situated subdivisions. They aren't very far from Groveland and they are only a short drive away from shopping, restaurants, etc. The Legends is off of Hwy27, a major route, yet the subdivision goes back so you wouldn't feel it being close to a highway. The other subdivisions I mentioned are smaller and are well off the main roads. Of course there are many other nice subdivisions of varying ages. You can also go on the east side of Clermont near the hospital to subdivisions such as Skyridge Valley which were built some time around 2000.

Clermont really is a nice little town to live in -- I guess I should say "city" now because it has grown leaps and bounds over the past few years.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
We would probably be looking for more of a suburban setting, I really didn't want to have a septic or well - wanted public water. I will definitely check out Mission Inn - my husband plays tennis and I think they have tennis there.

Thank you very much!!

I saw this after posting above. I think Legends was absorbed by the City and should have public water and sewer.

Water for all subdivisions should be from utility companies, but some of the subdivisions have septic tank only.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:16 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Jeez with all these developments going up I hope I’ll still be able to find a somewhat rural place to live that’s not in a planned community!

I was so disappointed the last time I was up there- ripping out the mature trees to put in tiny ones. I realize it’s easier to build like that but some of those subdivisions look downright barren and ugly. Fortunately they’re not all like that, but some, and it’s just my opinion, are eyesores.

And since so many people buy into these places , people like me must be in the minority.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-28-2017 at 09:40 AM..

Old 10-28-2017, 09:53 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Jeez with all these developments going up I hope I’ll still be able to find a somewhat rural place to live that’s not in a planned community!

I was so disappointed the last time I was up there- ripping out the mature trees to put in tiny ones. I realize it’s easier to build like that but some of those subdivisions look downright barren and ugly. Fortunately they’re not all like that, but some, and it’s just my opinion, are eyesores.

And since so many people buy into these places , people like me must be in the minority.
It's the sad reality for much of Florida and sadly the majority seemingly prefer brand spanking new versus the "horrors" of something 10 to 20 years old in an established neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
You are correct, Kyle! There are some gorgeous neighborhoods here - some are gated- where the trees and native vegetation were disturbed only as absolutely necessary. Don King lived in one; now an NFL player , a famous author and some other well-off folks live in the one I’m thinking of (Foxe Chase in Delray) Huge oaks and Sabal palms; just gorgeous.

The surrounding developments are similar but in a lower price range of course (I mean 400k to a mill lol) . But most of those homes are older, and people will buy in the new barren “upscale” subdivisions instead.

Also the photos I see online of these communities don’t do them justice at all. So I guess , along with the homes being older, adds to the negatives.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 10-28-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando