Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

If looking for non-cookie cutter check out Winter Park and neighboring Maitland which has some very nice well-established neighborhoods like Dommerich Estates (north of Horatio/Howell Branch and east of 17-92).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 34,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
By and large the people who wind up living in Florida's interior as far from a beach as possible are going to be lukewarm on living near the coast, hence many of the responses you'll see here. If you're after a beach lifestyle you won't find anything like it in/around Orlando, even with a lake backdrop. The Orlando vibe tends toward the average "suburban" lifestyle you can find most anywhere. It seems there's some willingness on your part (or your spouse's) to drive an hour or so one way to work and if the case, would suggest Merritt Island. Check out the north end off of 528/A1A which is zoned for Merritt Island High School. It's minutes from the beaches in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach and a well established area that's family-friendly plus a fairly straightforward commute, albeit it a toll road (the 528/Beachline and the 417/Greenway) most of the way, though quicker than the option you would face in/out on I-4 to New Smyrna Beach or other options in that area.
Thanks for the specifics! We are probably headed there the first week in December to do a preliminary drive around and see the different areas. I will definitely check out Merritt Island. Sounds really nice. Any more details I should know for when we do check it out?

Once we narrow down our areas of interest, I'll call the schools and make appointments to visit on a subsequent trip there.

Thank you!

Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherllie View Post
Thanks for the specifics! We are probably headed there the first week in December to do a preliminary drive around and see the different areas. I will definitely check out Merritt Island. Sounds really nice. Any more details I should know for when we do check it out?

Once we narrow down our areas of interest, I'll call the schools and make appointments to visit on a subsequent trip there.

Thank you!
Much of Merritt Island is much older, more humble housing built out in the heyday of NASA and the I Dream of Jeannie years, not in a dangerous rundown kind of way but more in an established middle class feel. However there are a number of newer build communities to check out, many on the north end in the Courtenay section if that's more the look/feel you expect or desire.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:06 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Much of Merritt Island is much older, more humble housing built out in the heyday of NASA and the I Dream of Jeannie years, not in a dangerous rundown kind of way but more in an established middle class feel. However there are a number of newer build communities to check out, many on the north end in the Courtenay section if that's more the look/feel you expect or desire.
I was out in some residential areas that way buying hockey gear recently and was pleasantly surprised. They’re older homes, sure, but they’re clean and well-maintained with manicured lawns. Looked great to me. I wouldn’t want to live there if I works in Winter Park. I live in Mount Dora and the commute into downtown is atrocious, which is why I’ve resorted to driving to Sanford to use the sunrail. And mind you, we have tolled expressways literally from here all the way into downtown. I can’t imagine a 20+ mile commute into any part of Orlando without an end to end expressway system not including I4. Ouch.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:09 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherllie View Post
What lakes do you recommend looking at to live near, or even by? We would be renting (house or apartment) first before buying, so we can better get to know the areas. Rental budget tbd, but I'd guess <$2500.

Question to Arcenal352, why not swim in them or be near the shore?
In Florida, the safest thing to do is to assume that any body of water larger than a rain puddle, including (especially?) water hazards on golf courses, contains at least one alligator. Never swim in a lake, and never let your kids and dogs play near the shore of a lake.

In addition to the possibility/probability of a gator in the water, many of these warm-water lakes have nasty amoeba in them, which is a further reason to avoid lake swimming.

Gators have been found in people's backyard swimming pools too, but that's very rare and it would be pretty easy to spot before you jump in!

Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
but if you are going to be swimming, it's better to stick to all the natural springs that surround Orlando.
All natural springs? Where? Why don't these have gators? Also I thought the amoeba were only in the summer when water is warmer?

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
All natural springs? Where? Why don't these have gators? Also I thought the amoeba were only in the summer when water is warmer?
The water is too cool for alligators which like other reptiles prefer warmth.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
The gators will still be near (sometimes right at he shore basking in the sun) but they very seldom go in the water, and on the rare occasion they do, will be almost docile as they seek a warmer place to be. The springs tend to be very cool. And very clear. Not good hunting conditions for gators.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
ah good to know, I am still learning about gators. Where are these springs? I know of Wekiva only.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:23 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
As already mentioned they dont really like cold water nor really clear water.

My personal favorite is at King’s Landing, the actual spring is Rock Spring. You can rent kayaks here and right when you enter the spring there is a very beautiful all sand area with a rope swing and crystal clear water. I recently went there after Irma and the ground got stirred up, instead of a pure sand bottom, it had a lot of dark leaves etc. The people there said it’s gotten better and will go back to how it was eventually. Also, the spring got blocked off in a few areas. Normally you can kayak 8.5 miles down stream and get off at Wekiva and take the shuttle back. Also next door to King’s Landing is Kelly Park, which is great for tubing.

You can also swim/snorkel/dive at Blue Springs. There are a lot of springs actually, I haven’t even been to half.

This is worth taking a look at too...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlan...story,amp.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando