Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,723,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is unfortunately true... Even the line to take the monorail to LEAVE Magic Kingdom was ridiculous. Literally took us over an hour to board (and they had a timer like it was a ride or something.) this is something they need to fix. Not only was it annoying, it’s extremely dangerous.
Yeah. I absolutely LOVE "Happily Ever After" (the fireworks show that premiered in May 2017 for those who don't know), but taking an hour to get back to the car makes it hard to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,235,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yeah. I absolutely LOVE "Happily Ever After" (the fireworks show that premiered in May 2017 for those who don't know), but taking an hour to get back to the car makes it hard to go back.
I take the ferry in those cases,, seems to be quicker to get crowded with the herd

Old 11-20-2017, 02:17 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,620,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Hi. I've just been accepted to a job in orlando and I will be moving there this Jan 2018. I just want to have some information about the area.

I'm Asian (Filipino) to be exact so i'm a bit scared to go down there due to what the internet has said about how high the racism in florida is.

For those of you who live/lived in Orlando, can you tell me if the racism is bad?
No. I am Native American. I lived in Florida for many years, and racism is not as bad as it is made out to be. When I first moved to North FL, I was concerned about the Ku Klux Klan and southern racism. But most of the time I had no problems with such bigotry. The "Deep South" has really mellowed out relative to the 1960s when segregation and civil rights movements were in severe conflict (e.g. Governor George Wallace).

As for Orlando, it is very diverse and representative of a "northern" city. That I-4 corridor is the best place for a "yuppie" or young college graduate to get a job (in my opinion) within the state. Many graduates of FSU, UF, USF, and UCF work on the I-4 corridor which includes Orlando.

For the most part you should be fine. On infrequent occasions you could run into blatant racism but not that much.

One thing to take note of is "subtle" racism which can happen anywhere in the USA.

https://craigeisele.wordpress.com/20...society-today/

There is also subtle racism in dating. OKCupid gave statistics that showed that Asian men were often discriminated against on a subtle level.

But you should find Orlando very reasonable. The traffic can be harsh. Just live close to your job.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:22 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,118,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
Hi. I've just been accepted to a job in orlando and I will be moving there this Jan 2018. I just want to have some information about the area.

I'm Asian (Filipino) to be exact so i'm a bit scared to go down there due to what the internet has said about how high the racism in florida is.

For those of you who live/lived in Orlando, can you tell me if the racism is bad?
I wont say it is as racist as Philadelphia or South Carolina, but there is racism in the state of Florida, period. Just look at the race map, and It will tell you where the races are concentrated. From my travels, I can tell you that you will feel like you do not belong , in some parts of Florida. I know the further north or west you go, you will find that.

I would not worry as much though. Filipinos have Spanish last names, and many speak spanish, so if you do, you will get along with a broader range of people. As far as dining goes, Cubans and Philipinos enjoy their roasted pork, so you will feel right at home in some Cuban Restaurants.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:31 AM

85 posts, read 98,170 times
Though I am clouded by my "white privilege", I would say that you will fit in just fine. I work in the IT industry in East Orlando and we have every race and gender. It is a great work environment. Racism and sexism are strictly forbidden but to be honest I don't see it happening anyway. I am sure there is racism in places but remember that what you read could be written by someone with an agenda. Some people actually want to see racism because it gives them a crutch/excuse.

A good example of watching out for what you read is to read apartment reviews. I did this a year ago before I moved here from Cali. Every apartment complex had terrible reviews. So I read them all and what I found is that the only people writing reviews were the people who were mad and wanted to vent. There were very few reviews by people who liked the apartments. Most of the reviews were written by people who lost their deposit due to their pets, or people who somehow violated their lease but thought they were unfairly treated.

From what I have seen here, it is no different from any other place. You will be treated the way you treat others and by the way you carry yourself. Try to live in the nicest area that you can afford with a decent commute to work and I think you will find that it is a good place to live. I don't love Orlando but we adults are typically bound to a place for a job so you make the best of it. That's my $0.02. Feel free to contact my with any questions.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,439,136 times
"Racism" is such a high trigger word these days that it's pretty much lost its meaning. Media stereotyping only has power if people choose to believe it. You will be fine in Orlando. Generally, no matter your race, wherever you live, if you're nice and not a jerk, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando