Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 05:15 PM

198 posts, read 224,712 times

Advertisements

I remember when fun-runs were $10 without the t-shirt or $20 with the t-shirt. I understand some of these are fundraisers but come on, it seems more like a business now. Donations should be a personal choice not a mandated cost in order to run on public streets.

Personally I don't go anymore because spending $40 every other week to run in an otherwise fun race with other people seems excessive. I'm sure someone will write in to correct me that the cost is usually only $30 if you pre-register 2-3 weeks before the race but that's not the point I'm trying to make. What was once meant to be a community event to get people outdoors exercising together has turned into a business to collect money. I checked all the Orlando area fun-runs for Nov and Dec and they seem to range from $35 to $40. Want to run in the Lake Eola half-marathon on Dec 2nd? That will cost you $100.

Next thing you know, Churches will start charging $80 at the door to get into Sunday Mass instead of the current "give what you can afford".. Does anyone else feel like these fun-runs have gotten out of hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 05:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
so run outside on your own?

if it's a large event, with hundreds of people, how is it any different than any other form of entertainment that lasts hour(s)?

a movie+dinner, a sporting event, concert ticket, etc... cost about the same

Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Entering a private property restaurant, getting fed food that cost money to prepare, then going to a theatre to watch a movie that cost 100 million dollars to create has a lot more value, feeds you, and entertains you for 4 hours. All for the same $40.

Running 3 miles on public roads is an event that is over in 25 minutes and hardly equivalent. You can wait 4 hours then run the same 3 miles in 25 minutes for free. They are charging you $40 for running on public roads with a group of other people. I think it's a ripoff and there are much better ways to spend $40. But that isn't even my original argument, I am just responding to your argument.

My argument is that fun-runs have lost their origin. They're no longer about community (like they once were and should be) but instead just a business to collect money.

For fun-runs that are marketed as charities (and not all of them are charities), they should ask for donations not mandate them as a price in order to enjoy public lands (or in this case public roads). In my mind the whole concept casts them unfavorably. Charity events should be conducted on private property. Especially if they are going to charge $40 to enter public lands.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:26 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Don't ever go to the RunDisney website as the prices for those races will make your jaw drop,when I start thinking of all the money I've dropped over the years for races,and especially Disney races being the most expensive ones I'm certain I could have used that money to buy a nice new car using cash.One thing I will say is that the numbers of people running races seems to have peaked around 2014-2015 and is now maybe not in a freefall but certainly dropping,prices are too high,many people did them and now got tired of them and even the RunDisney races have gotten stale as they all seem the same,no more night races and just too dang expensive when compared to regular races.I'm certainly going to continue doing 5-6 halfs a year along with the Disney full but many people are not as devoted as I am.Here's a sample of the registration fees for a typical RunDisney race weekend.

Entry Fees and Deadlines*

Star Wars Dark Side ™ Half Marathon

$185
Star Wars™ First Order Challenge

$330
Star Wars™ Dark Side 10K

$120
Star Wars™ Dark Side 5K

$80
runDisney Kids Races

Dashes - $20
Mile - $30

Old 11-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Thanks doom1001, at least someone gets it.

So people either stop going (like me) or they don't go as often now.
Collecting money kills off another American Pastime..

Old 11-25-2017, 07:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I do wonder how rising costs have affected race participation, and the % of how much race money actually does go somewhere good. I personally still do races, but I also do fewer due to the cost of participation (perhaps 2-3 a year). It would be a good research topic for a doctoral student like myself, but for the fact that I don't know how many business programs offer a "community running events" concentration.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:19 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
I've done only a handful of 5ks and 10ks,the way I look at it is if I'm going to spend the money for it,whatever it is,$60,$100,$180, its going to be for a race that's going to last at least 2-3 hours.$40 or more for a 30 minute 5k,the only way I'm paying that the race has to be very special,maybe in 20 years if I cant pull off a half anymore I'll be doing the shorter races.I actually have to get up in 4-5 hours to run the Space Coast half,last couple of years I ran Space coast as well but did the full marathon,glad I'm not doing that tomorrow,no way I'd be up for that.The truth is that many of these races are getting expensive,I went to the expo for Space coast today and saw a couple of races I'm giving thoughts to running and I'm seeing the prices are $20-$30 more than they were a couple of years ago,I know prices go up but I have to think fewer runners running the races the prices just have to go up on the other runners to cover the races expenses,the problem there is the higher prices will just mean fewer and fewer runners signing up which leads to higher prices in the future.There's a race down in Miami I didn't run this year that I had run from 2013-2016,around 2014-2015 the race had 1300 finishers,this year 700 something,yet prices for the race are higher than ever,if the trend keeps up the race will be discontinued.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Races are getting very expensive to run by the organizers.

They have to be insured.

They have to have fire, rescue, and PD.

They have to make some money for their causes.

If you really want sticker shock, I think the NYC Marathon is now around the $400 mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando