Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You have to realize that while they're an hour from downtown Orlando, unless you're already tied to a specific job here most likely you won't be working in downtown Orlando given the decentralized local job market which is in a word, scattered.
Maybe not quite downtown, but very likely still either in Maitland or Princeton area, which will still require driving into town. The drive from Mount Dora absolutely sucks. Trust me; I live there. My jobs in the past 10 years have been in Longwood, Maitland, and downtown respectively. The drive to each of those is terrible. Now, unless I need my car for anything work related on a specific day, I just drive to Sanford and catch the Sunrail. Heck I’ve even jumped on the bus a few times from Apopka to avoid dealing with the hassle.
It is very unlikely that someone moving here will land a good job in the outlying parts of the MSA (Eustis, Mt Dora, etc) unless one works in the medical field. The rest is all service related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Maybe not quite downtown, but very likely still either in Maitland or Princeton area, which will still require driving into town. The drive from Mount Dora absolutely sucks. Trust me; I live there. My jobs in the past 10 years have been in Longwood, Maitland, and downtown respectively. The drive to each of those is terrible. Now, unless I need my car for anything work related on a specific day, I just drive to Sanford and catch the Sunrail. Heck I’ve even jumped on the bus a few times from Apopka to avoid dealing with the hassle.
It is very unlikely that someone moving here will land a good job in the outlying parts of the MSA (Eustis, Mt Dora, etc) unless one works in the medical field. The rest is all service related.
There's quite a bit of better paying jobs in in Lake Mary-Heathrow also and while not an ideal drive in what large metro area is one going to find a 15-20 minute drive from the type of neighborhood the OP seemingly wants to live in? After just googling Mt Dora to the AAA Headquarters in Heathrow on International Parkway it states a 36 minute commute leaving at the time I'm responding here, which is at 8:12 am on a Thursday...

Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's quite a bit of better paying jobs in in Lake Mary-Heathrow also and while not an ideal drive in what large metro area is one going to find a 15-20 minute drive from the type of neighborhood the OP seemingly wants to live in? After just googling Mt Dora to the AAA Headquarters in Heathrow on International Parkway it states a 36 minute commute leaving at the time I'm responding here, which is at 8:12 am on a Thursday...
Yes, you are right. As I said, I routinely drive to Sanford from home to take the Sunrail. In other words, Mt Dora to Sanford (better yet, Heathrow!) is an easy drive, and will be even better once the 46 is fixed and the parkway is complete.
But anywhere else as a daily commute is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando