Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or Tampa - which one has a better quality of life!?
Orlando 8 47.06%
Tampa 9 52.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM

32 posts, read 209,344 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to relocate soon and we are open to either the Carolina or Florida(Central or South)

I've posted a few threads in the NC forums and got some helpful advice and now I'm posting in FL to get some advice from any local residents of FL.

If we were to choose Florida, we will be open to either Central or South, FL.
We would like to know which would be a better location for us to choose -based on our preferences.

1. Prefer to live in a Culturally diverse city
  2. Will be renting - rental budget is between $1000-$1500 for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or town-home
  3. Weather-prefer areas that aren't in a "hurricane zone" if that even exists. I have heard that many hurricanes can sweep all through central and south Florida. Is this true?
  4. Safety-Prefer an area that is decent - We understand that crime exists everywhere but really concerned more with gangs, people walking the streets, drugs, etc. We wanna stay away from those areas.
  5. Traffic - Prefer to live in an area that's not too congested with heavy traffic
  6. Schools - Are the schools better in Central or South Florida?
  7. Demographics - We are a married couple between 34-35 years of age, African American and Latino.
We've already researched Tampa/Lakeland/Davenport/Kissimee/Orlando.

I really like Lakeland area. It seems beautiful to live there and very affordable for us. The DavenPort area seems nice as well. Tampa seems cool but I bet it's more of a crowded city.

Do you guys have any advice or feedback on these areas or any other areas which may be good for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:09 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
I will write more later, but two red flags that hit me by browsing through your post: Both cities are prone to violent hurricanes, with Tampa being the worse of the two. Both cities are very crowded. Not sure where you get the notion that Orlando is less crowded than Tampa; they are both close in MSA population, and both see a massive amount of tourists on a daily basis, with Orlando seeing significantly more.

As far as diversity, you’ll be fine in either city. Orlando seems to be more of a melting pot of different racial cultures, whereas Tampa has always struck me as being a more laid back, surfer “salt life” type of thing. You’re unlikely to have any issues in either area when it comes to that.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM

32 posts, read 209,344 times
Thank you so much! I must have made an error in my previous post. I thought Tampa was the more laid back place - not Orlando. So Orlando gets violent weather also!!?? Ouch!! I really didn’t know that. Ok, so it seems we should be more open to additional areas other than just Tampa and Orlando, how is South Fl in terms of weather/diversity/affordability?

Do you know anything about South Fl? I know we can’t afford Miami and def don’t want to live there! What about Fort Lauderdale? How is it there? Do you know anything about this area? Any other places you can recommend?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Both cities are prone to violent hurricanes, with Tampa being the worse of the two.
Actually Tampa is one of the least hurricane prone areas of the state and trails only Jacksonville in that department. Even though "inland", Orlando seems in recent history more inclined to have heavier damage if the 2004-2005 and last year's event with Hurricane Irma are any indication.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:08 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Thank you so much! I must have made an error in my previous post. I thought Tampa was the more laid back place - not Orlando. So Orlando gets violent weather also!!?? Ouch!! I really didn’t know that. Ok, so it seems we should be more open to additional areas other than just Tampa and Orlando, how is South Fl in terms of weather/diversity/affordability?

Do you know anything about South Fl? I know we can’t afford Miami and def don’t want to live there! What about Fort Lauderdale? How is it there? Do you know anything about this area? Any other places you can recommend?
Given your desire for culture, racial diversity, safe neighborhoods and very good schools you might consider Broward County neighborhoods like Weston, Parkland or Coral Springs which are very nice suburbs of Fort Lauderdale. In terms of more laidback I would venture between Tampa or Orlando that Tampa and more/so adjoining St Petersburg-Clearwater wins in that department. The Tampa Bay area in general while a good bit larger than Orlando has more Midwest roots from it's transplants (versus Northeast US and Puerto Rico) who tend more laidback and friendly than what is seen in Orlando, coming from someone who spends a lot of time in the Tampa Bay area but lives in the Orlando area.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are looking to relocate soon and we are open to either the Carolina or Florida(Central or South)

I've posted a few threads in the NC forums and got some helpful advice and now I'm posting in FL to get some advice from any local residents of FL.

If we were to choose Florida, we will be open to either Central or South, FL.
We would like to know which would be a better location for us to choose -based on our preferences.

1. Prefer to live in a Culturally diverse city
  2. Will be renting - rental budget is between $1000-$1500 for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or town-home
  3. Weather-prefer areas that aren't in a "hurricane zone" if that even exists. I have heard that many hurricanes can sweep all through central and south Florida. Is this true?
  4. Safety-Prefer an area that is decent - We understand that crime exists everywhere but really concerned more with gangs, people walking the streets, drugs, etc. We wanna stay away from those areas.
  5. Traffic - Prefer to live in an area that's not too congested with heavy traffic
  6. Schools - Are the schools better in Central or South Florida?
  7. Demographics - We are a married couple between 34-35 years of age, African American and Latino.
We've already researched Tampa/Lakeland/Davenport/Kissimee/Orlando.

I really like Lakeland area. It seems beautiful to live there and very affordable for us. The DavenPort area seems nice as well. Tampa seems cool but I bet it's more of a crowded city.

Do you guys have any advice or feedback on these areas or any other areas which may be good for us?

1) Not much difference in either city
2) Not much difference in either city
3) Not much difference in either city
4) Safe areas in both cities
5) Depends where in each city
6) Depends where in each city
7) Not much difference in either city

Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM

452 posts, read 493,284 times
The $1000-1500 living space is going to be more of a problem. Auburndale or someplace in between Orlando and Tampa would probably be best. Maybe Davenport?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
The $1000-1500 living space is going to be more of a problem. Auburndale or someplace in between Orlando and Tampa would probably be best. Maybe Davenport?
I disagree. You can find houses in decent subdivisions for under $1500 all around Seminole and Lake counties around Orlando. OP said they want an apartment or townhome. Those can be found in that price range in Orlando City limits. Under 1200 would pose a problem. 1500 is a solid amount for the area though.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,718,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) Not much difference in either city
2) Not much difference in either city
3) Not much difference in either city
4) Safe areas in both cities
5) Depends where in each city
6) Depends where in each city
7) Not much difference in either city
I agree. While the Tampa region has a slightly larger population, everything else feels to be about the same. Tampa just feels more dense while Orlando is spread out.

As far as hurricanes are concerned, remember that Orlando is the city where many evacuees will choose to come during a storm. I remember people having to explain that to out-of-state family and friends multiple times during Irma.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I agree. While the Tampa region has a slightly larger population, everything else feels to be about the same. Tampa just feels more dense while Orlando is spread out.

As far as hurricanes are concerned, remember that Orlando is the city where many evacuees will choose to come during a storm. I remember people having to explain that to out-of-state family and friends multiple times during Irma.
And then when the hurricane shifts path and everyone from either Miami or Tampa is in Orlando seeking shelter, but the hurricane runs directly through the city, we end up worse than other areas due to being severely overcrowded.

That said, I agree with the above. Aside from downtown, Orlando is more spread out. Tampa/St-Pete is more similar to Miami in that muchnof the area is built on a grid pattern, creating a higher sense of density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando