Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 AM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychickens View Post
May I ask What part of Orlando/Florida are in? Just saw on the news a few days ago someone had an alligator fall in their pool. They also had a fenced pool. I’m still excited about coming down and being near water though. I’m not so much looking to get inside the water as I like the idea of having the view as a relaxing background element. It still doesn’t mean I will ignore what goes on. Hence all the critter questions.

Does having the pool “elevated” help? I see some properties where the pool is almost on an elevated terrace or concrete platform while the rest of the backyard slopes down into the water. Would that help to keep the animals at a distance?
Have a pool enclosure and dont worry about it, really, you’ll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,256,709 times
We started to look at real estate in the Bellalago gated community that have boating access to Lake Tohopekaliga. Some homes have access to Lake Tohopekaliga, some homes do not have access. Are there boat slips that can be rented on Lake Tohopekaliga, for homes that do not have access to Lake Tohopekaliga, if so, what do boat slips cost to rent?

I noticed when looking at the map, Lake Tohopekaliga is connected to East Lake Tohopekaliga, then Felis Cove, then Ajay Lake, then Lake hart. Lake Tohopekaliga is also connected to Cypress Lake, Lake Gentry, Alligator Lake, Lake Hatchineha, and Lake Kissimmee.

Is it possible to navigate with a boat from homes in Bellalago to Lake Toho, then to other lakes through channels? Or, are the channels between the lakes marshy, or possibly only connections when the water levels are higher? It looks like Lake Kissimmee is connected eventually to Lake Okeechobee. Or, is the reason for the channels between the lakes to maintain the water levels for the lakes?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 AM

835 posts, read 521,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Are you swimming or boating on these lakes? As a boater here is my list.

1.) Winter Park (if you can afford it)
2.) Butler chain
3.) Conway chain
4.) John’s chain
5.) Lake Monroe/Jesup

Honorable mention: Lake Toho.

All of them have adult Gators except Butler and Conway because there are homeowners completely around the lake, they’ve been clear for a while. Occasionally a small gator may get in but homeowners call Orange County immediately to have it removed.
Where do I begin....

Butler Chain is more expensive property than Winter Park.

Lake Toho and Monroe are for fishing/hunting, absolutely not for swimming. Toho isn't even recommended for pleasure boating as it's too shallow.

There were homes completely around Lake Conway in 2001 when a girl was attacked by a gator. An 11 footer was removed afterwards which had absolutely, positively been seen by residents for years preceding the attack. There is a zero percent chance "Orange County" would attempt to remove a small gator merely for existing in a 1700 acre lake. To say the 5000 acre Butler Chain has no adult gators in it is completely contrived. Stating that there are no birds in the air over Lake Nona would be a more realistic claim.

To the OP, I'd recommend looking into a membership at the Orange County Sportsman's Association on the Butler Chain. It's a private park with nice facilities and boat launch. The boat docks are netted making for enclosed/safe beach area to swim. Very family friendly, unlike the Bird Island and Conway sandbar party spots which are loaded with drunk boaters. Membership is $250 per year and they take on new members every April. The website says it's a 3 year wait but applying now would get you in next year. There is a long waiting list to store a boat there however. I'd swim there without hesitation.

Regarding snakes....there are several species of non-venomous watersnakes in Florida and everyone who sees one calls it a cottonmouth/water moccasin. Some are cottonmouths of course but there's no record of one taking the life of a human in Florida. Not seeking medical attention the day of getting bit is the only way one could be killed by this species.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 PM

2,933 posts, read 4,085,821 times
I've been out on the WP chain - Lakes Virginia/Mizell/Osceola - to SUP a few times and have hung out on and around Lake Virginia and Baldwin a ton . . . I've never seen a gator and the only person I've ever talked to who has ever seen a gator on any of those lakes was someone who lived on it. And when they spotted it they called FWC to remove it.

I haven't seen any snakes either but granted, this is a heavily urbanized part of town.

The only place I've ever seen a gator was from the APM at the airport. It was a big boy, probably 6 ft, subathing on the side of one of the ponds. You should always proceed with caution around any body of water and I don't recommend swimming but if you're out on Lake Virginia I don't think it's a big deal if you fall off your board. Just try to avoid getting water up your nose. That's how the amoebas get you.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 PM

24 posts, read 25,577 times
I was a competitive water skier in Central Florida from 1983 to 2007, so I tend to lean toward those types of lakes. The best ski lakes are small with few if any other boats on the water so you can have glassy water to train. They typically are out of the way, little known, and barely used except for skiing. That being said, when I moved to Orlando from Gainesville in 83, I bought an old ski nautique and hit most all the chains, self contained lakes and the St. Johns. Great times that I will always remember.

My favorite chains were Butler and Clermont. Both are extremely clean and varmint free. :-) Clermont if fairly tannic, which means root beer or ice tea colored water, but it's very clean and safe according to a college roommate who has a masters in limnology--the study of the biological, chemical, and physical features of lakes and other bodies of fresh water. Just stay clear of the shoreline and cypress stands and you'll be fine. Conway is right up there as well. I didn't like Winter Park chain at all as the water is just plain nasty. 100 years of unfettered street and lawn runoff directed right into the lakes. Pretty to boat on, but I wouldn't put my left toe in that water, and I've skied in some seriously gator infested lakes. Lake Apopka? Run for the hills, run for your life. It redefines polluted. Apopka flows into the Mt. Dora/Harris Chain, which is an absolutely beautiful chain. Water-nasty. Scenery-Awesome.

Basically, there is something for everyone in Central Florida be it, fishing, pleasure cruising, recreational use, or special use. There is a reason they call it the world capital of water skiing.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,992,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-johnson View Post
I was a competitive water skier in Central Florida from 1983 to 2007, so I tend to lean toward those types of lakes. The best ski lakes are small with few if any other boats on the water so you can have glassy water to train. They typically are out of the way, little known, and barely used except for skiing. That being said, when I moved to Orlando from Gainesville in 83, I bought an old ski nautique and hit most all the chains, self contained lakes and the St. Johns. Great times that I will always remember.

My favorite chains were Butler and Clermont. Both are extremely clean and varmint free. :-) Clermont if fairly tannic, which means root beer or ice tea colored water, but it's very clean and safe according to a college roommate who has a masters in limnology--the study of the biological, chemical, and physical features of lakes and other bodies of fresh water. Just stay clear of the shoreline and cypress stands and you'll be fine. Conway is right up there as well. I didn't like Winter Park chain at all as the water is just plain nasty. 100 years of unfettered street and lawn runoff directed right into the lakes. Pretty to boat on, but I wouldn't put my left toe in that water, and I've skied in some seriously gator infested lakes. Lake Apopka? Run for the hills, run for your life. It redefines polluted. Apopka flows into the Mt. Dora/Harris Chain, which is an absolutely beautiful chain. Water-nasty. Scenery-Awesome.

Basically, there is something for everyone in Central Florida be it, fishing, pleasure cruising, recreational use, or special use. There is a reason they call it the world capital of water skiing.
One of my favorite posts on C-D in a while. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:42 PM

490 posts, read 578,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynex View Post
The proposition that venomous snakes are "rare" in Florida is false.
In central Florida, beware, especially of moccasins and pygmy rattlers.
Agree moccasins aren't rare but no where near as numerous species of non venomous water snakes native to the area. Yet people claim ever water snake they see is a moccasin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando