Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I see it going the other way due to traffic and more newer homes being built in the city. Older areas being torn down or updated.
This is generally what's been happening in most large metro areas (upper middle class moving closer to downtown) over the last 25 years and is the norm in most of the rest of the developed world. It's been called the Great Inversion. There was a book written about it back in 2012 https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/b...ican-city.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 10:02 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
This is generally what's been happening in most large metro areas (upper middle class moving closer to downtown) over the last 25 years and is the norm in most of the rest of the developed world. It's been called the Great Inversion. There was a book written about it back in 2012 https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/b...ican-city.html
I hope this trend continues, although I think covid has really changed how people perceive city life. I love living downtown, and think it would be great if people actually moved here instead of more endless sprawl on the outskirts.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I hope this trend continues, although I think covid has really changed how people perceive city life. I love living downtown, and think it would be great if people actually moved here instead of more endless sprawl on the outskirts.

I agree. I think I've said here before though, that unlike Miami or even Atlanta, it seems like if you're in the top 25-30% of household income then the aspiration is to have a house on a lake. Apartment or even townhouse living isn't really the trend. I hope I'm wrong or that it changes soon but I'm not sure how, exactly. The neighborhoods inside Semoran/north of Michigan seem really strong and will probably continue to go up but they're pretty low density. That's why, personally, I'm stoked to see all of those apartments going up on North Orange around Lake Ivanhoe Village. I hope we see some of the bigger strip malls on Colonial get converted next.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
Quote:

I agree. I think I've said here before though, that unlike Miami or even Atlanta, it seems like if you're in the top 25-30% of household income then the aspiration is to have a house on a lake. Apartment or even townhouse living isn't really the trend. I hope I'm wrong or that it changes soon but I'm not sure how, exactly. The neighborhoods inside Semoran/north of Michigan seem really strong and will probably continue to go up but they're pretty low density. That's why, personally, I'm stoked to see all of those apartments going up on North Orange around Lake Ivanhoe Village. I hope we see some of the bigger strip malls on Colonial get converted next.
Yeah I agree with all your points. Hopefully with more downtown amenities and entertainment options (Creative Village, the under I-4 park, Church Street food hall, etc.) it will attract the type of crowd that wants to live in an urban center. I’m also excited about the development of the Packing District and Hourglass District. I believe there’s an empty lot on Colonial and Fern Creek that’s slated for apartments.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 AM

109 posts, read 98,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
I think we're experiencing white flight from Orange County mainly from the growing Puerto Rican population as a result of their poor economy and Hurricane Maria (there are still some areas without power and it's been 6 months as of today!) I'm seeing lots of different articles giving different estimates on how many Puerto Ricans have come to Florida, but Orlando Sentinel is reporting 300,000 since Hurricane Maria. The majority are likely moving to Orlando, as we already have a large PR population and I'm sure a lot of families that are already here are encouraging their families still in PR to come join them.

When a mass influx of another race/culture comes into an area, you're definitely going to see pattern shifts with demographics. In this case, Puerto Ricans will want to live among each other where they can speak the same language and be more comfortable, so they'll choose Orange and especially Osceola Counties. Increasingly, you'll probably see more whites move out of these counties and go towards Seminole or Lake counties where the PR population is not as abundant. The great schools in Seminole county already are a major draw, the demographic shifts we're experiencing could just be the icing on the cake for some to make the move.
This may not sound politically correct, but it's an honest assessment from a college-educated Puerto Rican who lived in Orlando for five years and left for Boston. According to the US Census (2020), only 25 percent of the adult population in Puerto Rico have a bachelor's degree or higher. About 43 percent of the population is under federal poverty level. Based on those numbers, you can have the profile of the majority of Puerto Ricans moving to Orlando.

Most of the economy of Central Florida is oriented toward non-skill service jobs and that's the gross population of newcomers the area is going to atrract. I left because I have a Master's Degree and my highest salary was $52,300. The sunshine state sucks in terms of salaries! The economy in Boston is very specialized. It is a college town, professional competition is high. 49 percent of adult residents within the city limits have a bachelor's or higher. The percentage in Massachusetts statewide is 43 percent. I am actually completing my doctoral degree from Boston University. You have to be good to live decently here compared to Orlando.

I'm not surprised with the increase in crime in Orlando after the hurricane Maria. The poorest of the poor left Puerto Rico for Orlando thanks to your Republican governor. Save yourself if you can and move to a better area. I did it.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:16 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Yeah I agree with all your points. Hopefully with more downtown amenities and entertainment options (Creative Village, the under I-4 park, Church Street food hall, etc.) it will attract the type of crowd that wants to live in an urban center. I’m also excited about the development of the Packing District and Hourglass District. I believe there’s an empty lot on Colonial and Fern Creek that’s slated for apartments.
Yeah, this lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5530...7i16384!8i8192

That stretch of Colonial has lots of potential. Hopefully they make good use of it. Could be a tad bit more pedestrian/bike-friendly...

Old 03-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yeah, this lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5530...7i16384!8i8192

That stretch of Colonial has lots of potential. Hopefully they make good use of it. Could be a tad bit more pedestrian/bike-friendly...
Nice. Yeah, that was an old gas station, right? They had aeration equipment out there for a couple years it seemed.

Colonial has potential, especially from Hampton through to Magnolia - even going east and west from there all those strip malls have a ton of future potential. The city has the zoning right it's just a waiting game as to when those properties get redeveloped.

The two biggest problems I see are

1. the executive airport - https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5522.../data=!3m1!1e3
It's bigger than downtown itself, precludes residential for a large area around it, limits density as far away as downtown because of height limits, and it disrupts the grid. Imagine if Amelia kept going out to Semoran or if Conway went straight through and turned into Bennet. The value of that real estate and potential tax revenue and economic activity is enormous. Too much for a hobby field. There are great airports in Sanford and Kissimmee for that.

2. Colonial is still a traffic sewer. It's really loud. I live about a mile from Colonial and I can hear the bikes at night. There's not much you can do about the traffic part although more through streets between Colonial and 408 out to Semoran would alleviate at least some of that. You could get rid of left turns on Colonial between Hampton and downtown. Take the turn lane back for an extra 4-5 feet of pedestrian space or on either side of the street. If you need to go left (most people don't) go around the block. It has the added benefit of eliminating a signal phase at most of those intersections which means more green time for east/west traffic. If people are going to hang out there it needs to be just a little less like walking on the side of a highway.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,087,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
This may not sound politically correct, but it's an honest assessment from a college-educated Puerto Rican who lived in Orlando for five years and left for Boston. According to the US Census (2020), only 25 percent of the adult population in Puerto Rico have a bachelor's degree or higher. About 43 percent of the population is under federal poverty level. Based on those numbers, you can have the profile of the majority of Puerto Ricans moving to Orlando.

Most of the economy of Central Florida is oriented toward non-skill service jobs and that's the gross population of newcomers the area is going to atrract. I left because I have a Master's Degree and my highest salary was $52,300. The sunshine state sucks in terms of salaries! The economy in Boston is very specialized. It is a college town, professional competition is high. 49 percent of adult residents within the city limits have a bachelor's or higher. The percentage in Massachusetts statewide is 43 percent. I am actually completing my doctoral degree from Boston University. You have to be good to live decently here compared to Orlando.

I'm not surprised with the increase in crime in Orlando after the hurricane Maria. The poorest of the poor left Puerto Rico for Orlando thanks to your Republican governor. Save yourself if you can and move to a better area. I did it.
What is the cost of living like up there? Per nerd wallet, the cost of living is 66% more in Boston than Orlando. For comparison if you make $50,000 in Orlando you will need to make at least $82,837. You really have to go up their for career or education which it seems you did. But most will not take that high COL and uncomfortable cold weather.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...l-vs-boston-ma

Old 03-16-2021, 11:59 AM

17,119 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Nice. Yeah, that was an old gas station, right? They had aeration equipment out there for a couple years it seemed.

Colonial has potential, especially from Hampton through to Magnolia - even going east and west from there all those strip malls have a ton of future potential. The city has the zoning right it's just a waiting game as to when those properties get redeveloped.

The two biggest problems I see are

1. the executive airport - https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5522.../data=!3m1!1e3
It's bigger than downtown itself, precludes residential for a large area around it, limits density as far away as downtown because of height limits, and it disrupts the grid. Imagine if Amelia kept going out to Semoran or if Conway went straight through and turned into Bennet. The value of that real estate and potential tax revenue and economic activity is enormous. Too much for a hobby field. There are great airports in Sanford and Kissimmee for that.

2. Colonial is still a traffic sewer. It's really loud. I live about a mile from Colonial and I can hear the bikes at night. There's not much you can do about the traffic part although more through streets between Colonial and 408 out to Semoran would alleviate at least some of that. You could get rid of left turns on Colonial between Hampton and downtown. Take the turn lane back for an extra 4-5 feet of pedestrian space or on either side of the street. If you need to go left (most people don't) go around the block. It has the added benefit of eliminating a signal phase at most of those intersections which means more green time for east/west traffic. If people are going to hang out there it needs to be just a little less like walking on the side of a highway.
1. Agree on this point. It's a shame, because that airport really limits development going East. Milk District could be so much more than what it is, and I agree with you on Bennet. Would love to see that happen.

2. I also live roughly a mile North of Colonial, and like you, have to listen to the cacophony at night with all of the bikes rolling through. I've become accustomed to it, but it is quite annoying.
Taking out that turn lane would be a godsend, and would probably eliminate roughly 75% of the accidents on that stretch. I walked to a gas station by primrose recently along Colonial, and yes, it felt like I was walking along a major highway (which I was.) I did not feel safe at all. Sidewalks are too narrow, and way too close to cars zooming by at 50mph.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:10 PM

141 posts, read 115,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
Let's bear in mind too that these people are added to an already generously proportioned underclass. In other words, they're just the latest to join the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando