Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM

33 posts, read 35,049 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a frequent lurker and occasional poster but we are getting closer to our move from California to Florida.
Planning a trip in the next month to visit to narrow down the area and maybe even the house we want to buy. (Fingers crossed) I have been looking at homes online and learning from you all about neighborhoods I might be interested in. With all of that said I really like these houses which have been for sale for a long time and I wonder if you can give me your thoughts as to why? Are they over priced? Or not in a nice part of town?

I have one son who will be a Jr next year so a good high school is important.

On Market for 300+ days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46682803

On Market for 200+ days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46691316

On Market for for almost 300 days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46467472

The last one is a Lake Howell High school, which from what I can tell is not the highest rated so of course a concern. Is that why?

The First two are Winter Park High which I understand to be a good school, is it that these homes are not in what one would consider the best part of Winter Park??

I have learned that Seminole high schools are the best.

Thanks,
Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 02:59 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,746,664 times
Welcome! I moved here from San Diego about 9 months ago. Curious, what brings you here? Wondering if the reasons are similar.

I'm new to the area, so my comments may not be as valuable as others who will come later. Winter Park is a really nice area, but yes I'd say that those homes are not in the 'nicest' part of winter park, at least from what I've seen. I like the Winter Park west of Semoran, but that's just me. I don't know if crime is an issue or not near those homes, but just the aesthetic and vibe is not that exciting (for me at least).

Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyncal View Post
Hi all,
I am a frequent lurker and occasional poster but we are getting closer to our move from California to Florida.
Planning a trip in the next month to visit to narrow down the area and maybe even the house we want to buy. (Fingers crossed) I have been looking at homes online and learning from you all about neighborhoods I might be interested in. With all of that said I really like these houses which have been for sale for a long time and I wonder if you can give me your thoughts as to why? Are they over priced? Or not in a nice part of town?

I have one son who will be a Jr next year so a good high school is important.

On Market for 300+ days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46682803

On Market for 200+ days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46691316

On Market for for almost 300 days
https://www.redfin.com/FL/Winter-Par.../home/46467472

The last one is a Lake Howell High school, which from what I can tell is not the highest rated so of course a concern. Is that why?

The First two are Winter Park High which I understand to be a good school, is it that these homes are not in what one would consider the best part of Winter Park??

I have learned that Seminole high schools are the best.

Thanks,
Robyn
Homes in that price range usually take some time to sell, but these have been on the market a really long time, which isn't normal.

1) This home is located in a not so nice part of Winter Park. The style of home is also not popular in Orlando.

2) This home is also located in the same area as the first one. The exterior style of this home is also not popular, especially in this price range. This one was bought by a flipper, so he/she must be really hurting right now because they need to turn their flips quick.

3) This home is also located in a not so nice part of Winter Park. The schools are also not so good.

Winter Park High is a great high school. Seminole schools generally speaking are better than Orange County schools, but it's not an absolute rule. There are definitely bad schools in Seminole County too. There are also good schools in Orange County as well such as Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Windermere, Olympia.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 PM

491 posts, read 519,528 times
Not a great location. Priced high for the area. Older home. For that price you can get a McMansion in the burbs with all of the amenities that your significant other desires. The first and third homes needed about $2-300,000 worth of work to modernize them.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all your input. I assumed it was location, I was ok with the style of the home, assume I am going to be updating wherever I go. But you can't fix location! If we ever have to move I don't want to be sitting at 200+ days waiting to sell.

stablegenius - We are moving for a job relocation with Lockheed from Nor Cal/Silicon Valley. Where did you end up once you moved? So far so good???

Old 03-28-2018, 07:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your input. I assumed it was location, I was ok with the style of the home, assume I am going to be updating wherever I go. But you can't fix location! If we ever have to move I don't want to be sitting at 200+ days waiting to sell.

stablegenius - We are moving for a job relocation with Lockheed from Nor Cal/Silicon Valley. Where did you end up once you moved? So far so good???
Dr Phillips is a great area to live since you’ll be working at Lockheed. If your budget is up to $700k, you’ll have good options. I moved here from San Francisco a few years ago, I really love it.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Dr Phillips is a great area to live since you’ll be working at Lockheed. If your budget is up to $700k, you’ll have good options. I moved here from San Francisco a few years ago, I really love it.
Actually working in Titusville (and my husband is not me, I am going to telecommute for my California job) so we are pushing it already for the commute, but were used to long commutes (long in time not miles, you must remember the traffic here! ) Son plays water polo which they don't...

Old 03-28-2018, 09:59 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Actually working in Titusville (and my husband is not me, I am going to telecommute for my California job) so we are pushing it already for the commute, but were used to long commutes (long in time not miles, you must remember the traffic here! ) Son plays water polo which they don't...
Have you considered the coast? Even as far down as Melbourne? (Very nice town by the way.)
I'd much rather commute up and down I-95 to and from Melbourne to Titusville on a daily basis than out and back into Winter Park or Dr.Philips from there.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:39 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
The house on Broken Arrow is probably just overpriced given flips in that area of that type of home (mid-century FL ranch) consists typically a teardown and construction of the formulaic two story McMansion. Otherwise you can't get a much better location in WP (on Lake Nan). I would imagine after 239 days on the market things are getting dire and a non-lowball offer somewhere between market estimate and asking price would probably be received well.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Have you considered the coast? Even as far down as Melbourne? (Very nice town by the way.)
I'd much rather commute up and down I-95 to and from Melbourne to Titusville on a daily basis than out and back into Winter Park or Dr.Philips from there.
This. Live in viera
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando