Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:00 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
I don't mind the tolls as long as I can avoid traffic. My time is worth more than $.75.
LOL, problem is when traffic is super heavy and they wanna charge you $25 to ride them. Saw that on Miami express lanes not too long ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 01:18 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Another flash of brilliance is the newer interchanges built several years ago from I-4 at the Sanford/Lake Mary/Heathrow exits where the exit lanes split off a couple miles early and begin filtering off at a few different exits before rejoining I-4 as an on ramp. The eastbound side to exit and get on the 417 (where it begins on the north end of the area) is a single lane cloverleaf design that could easily have been two lanes, so of course backs up for miles at rush hour. Also on the eastbound side one cannot get on I-4 from the 46-A Sanford/Heathrow exit and get off at the next exit eastbound (SR46) because there is no access to the miles long parallel exit ramp because it starts before that exit. So all of that traffic is forced onto secondary parallel-running Rinehart Rd which takes three times longer to travel. Where did these people get their "planning" training? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...2!4d-81.269453
Those two...
Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been late to my sons soccer practices because of that stupid 417 on-ramp (why do the two ramps merge into ONE lane instead of just making it two?) It can literally take 20 minutes just to get onto the freaking expressway because of that.
As for the 46-A, I used to go to the ABC liquor store right by there. I’ve stopped going to that one precisely because of that. But hey, how can we even be surprised by this? It is Florida after all!

Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
The Orlando Weekly published an in-depth article about the "Beyond the Ultimate" project today.

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/ar...in-the-tourist

Old 04-10-2018, 07:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And lowest salaries versus other major cities, so for most it's not a "get ahead" moment.
And a lower COL to go with it. Kyle, I'd much prefer user fees and tolls over an income tax (and still having to pay tolls, and then having to pay property tax on my car etc)

Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
The Orlando Weekly published an in-depth article about the "Beyond the Ultimate" project today.

Wow, sounds like a lot of changes (and possible clusterf***s) in the Dr Phillips and LBV area

Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post

What's the deal with Sand Lake criss-crossing under I4??

Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
LOL, problem is when traffic is super heavy and they wanna charge you $25 to ride them. Saw that on Miami express lanes not too long ago
The Express lanes on I-95 in Miami are grid locked during rush hour. I payed $11 once and will never do that again.
The traffic in Orlando is nothing compared to Miami.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's confusing to look at... I'm trying to figure it out.

Update* I just found this article that explained it a bit...

"If driving in circles around retention ponds isn’t enough to excite you, the Sand Lake Road interchange surely will. FDOT is adding a diverging diamond interchange here. Travel lanes will cross over each other and while underneath I-4 will drive on the opposite side of the street. A flyover exit will also allow drivers to exit directly to Turkey Lake Road. It sounds like a great place to sit in traffic and watch all the tourist confused by the cars driving on the left side of the street."

"Thankfully, the Beyond the Ultimate project will also include many pedestrian upgrades, including 10-foot-wide sidewalks along 535 and new pedestrian-friendly crossings on Sand Lake Road."

A very interesting tidbit... "Nearly the entire southern leg of the project also includes a rail corridor along the middle of it, thanks to that amendment in our state constitution meant to build a high-speed rail line. Rick Scott rejected the voter-approved high-speed train, along with $2 billion in federal funding for it, but the amendment mandating it is still in our state constitution, and that means this I-4 project must abide by it."

-Orlando Weekly

It sounds pretty exciting actually, I'm looking forward to the changes.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 04-10-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Wow that looks very unique, I think the purpose is to eliminate the lights there for people exciting I-4 drivers will be able to just get off in either direction, and not have to deal with the light. I think that's actually really smart.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 AM

491 posts, read 518,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's confusing to look at... I'm trying to figure it out.

Update* I just found this article that explained it a bit...

"If driving in circles around retention ponds isn’t enough to excite you, the Sand Lake Road interchange surely will. FDOT is adding a diverging diamond interchange here. Travel lanes will cross over each other and while underneath I-4 will drive on the opposite side of the street. A flyover exit will also allow drivers to exit directly to Turkey Lake Road. It sounds like a great place to sit in traffic and watch all the tourist confused by the cars driving on the left side of the street."

"Thankfully, the Beyond the Ultimate project will also include many pedestrian upgrades, including 10-foot-wide sidewalks along 535 and new pedestrian-friendly crossings on Sand Lake Road."

A very interesting tidbit... "Nearly the entire southern leg of the project also includes a rail corridor along the middle of it, thanks to that amendment in our state constitution meant to build a high-speed rail line. Rick Scott rejected the voter-approved high-speed train, along with $2 billion in federal funding for it, but the amendment mandating it is still in our state constitution, and that means this I-4 project must abide by it."

-Orlando Weekly

It sounds pretty exciting actually, I'm looking forward to the changes.
A flyover exit to Turkey Lake is what we need. There are major intersections at Sand Lake & Turkey Lake/I4/International all within less than 1/2 mile. A bridge over International, an I4 Turkey Lake exit, 528 Turkey Lake exit and 2 lanes of exit into 528 from I4 would help too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando