Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
A flyover exit to Turkey Lake is what we need. There are major intersections at Sand Lake & Turkey Lake/I4/International all within less than 1/2 mile. A bridge over International, an I4 Turkey Lake exit, 528 Turkey Lake exit and 2 lanes of exit into 528 from I4 would help too.
The universal exit used to work great to get to turkey lake until they built those new hotels...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I like the new Universal Exit, it makes more sense imo and now that they will build a flyover to turkey lake, it works out very well.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 AM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The universal exit used to work great to get to turkey lake until they built those new hotels...
It wasn't that great. You still had to make 2 lefts to get on Turkey Lake.

The "thatch weave" design at Sand Lake and I4 will help. It puts the I4 East turning left onto Sand Lake West and the Sand Lake East turning left onto I4 East going at the same time which will save at least a minute of light time. As well as the I4 West turning onto Sand Lake East and Sand Lake West turning left onto I4 West at the same time. That's 2 minutes or more of light changes. Add Sand Lake bridges over Turkey Lake and I-drive and that's not a cluster anymore.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:08 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
It wasn't that great. You still had to make 2 lefts to get on Turkey Lake.

The "thatch weave" design at Sand Lake and I4 will help. It puts the I4 East turning left onto Sand Lake West and the Sand Lake East turning left onto I4 East going at the same time which will save at least a minute of light time. As well as the I4 West turning onto Sand Lake East and Sand Lake West turning left onto I4 West at the same time. That's 2 minutes or more of light changes. Add Sand Lake bridges over Turkey Lake and I-drive and that's not a cluster anymore.

That's one of the reasons I like living in Dr. Phillips, we see a lot the benefits from being so close to the tourist corridor.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:30 PM

58 posts, read 59,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What's the deal with Sand Lake criss-crossing under I4??
There's an intersection in Atlanta like this, it's at Jimmy Carter Blvd & I-85. It pretty efficient and it didn't make sense at first, but after I used it more, the more I appreciated it.

Future of Orlando Highways-untitled.jpg

Old 04-13-2018, 01:20 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETap0687 View Post
There's an intersection in Atlanta like this, it's at Jimmy Carter Blvd & I-85. It pretty efficient and it didn't make sense at first, but after I used it more, the more I appreciated it.

Attachment 197174
That's what I got from it, it'll do away with some of the traffic that backs up onto the highway causing traffic jams.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:36 PM

147 posts, read 145,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
Considering how much traffic has increased from 2013 up until now and how fast Orlando MSA is growing, I don't even want to know how bad it will be in 5 years
It could get like Atlanta or Miami traffic of which I want no part of. There have been reports in the past few years that with the explosive growth in terms of car count on the road it could eventually begin to mirror LA type traffic even with I-4 & surrounding roads being expanded. Not to mention all of the tolls that continue to rise. YIKES!! Housing prices (owning & renting) certainly continue to outpace wages which will be even more interesting to see how that pans out.

Right now Florida has surpassed NY in population by about 1 million as the 3rd most populous state in the nation behind California and Texas at 21 million people.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the stupidity continues. Take this exit/on-ramp for example in Apopka:

WHY is it that they have two lanes turning left from 441 at a light to get onto 429 instead of having an on-ramp to the right of the highway? This would avoid the need for that extra traffic light, and would prevent the current morning traffic jams that occur there ever morning to exist.
About half of the cars coming from NW 441 are turning to take 429 South. This means about half of them are now piling up in two turning lanes at a light, and then have to squeeze into the merging lanes from the 429 "connector road." Who designs this?
Florida is in dire need of some good German engineering. Much of the civil engineering in the state doesn't make sense and isn't as effective as it should be for the time & money spent.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
They've done SOME good things. The Maitland interchange is one of the highlights. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like 436 is going to get much of an improvement. Neither will 434.They seem to be in love with traffic lights to get onto the interstate instead of flyovers. I guess flyovers are more expensive, but in the long run, it would prevent the need for a complete overhaul (again.)
Yup that's part of my complaint. Their ROI at this point will always be in the crapper.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
And lowest salaries versus other major cities, so for most it's not a "get ahead" moment.
EXACTLY!!! Plus home prices & renting continuously rising. I wonder where retirees and LOWER income folk will be able to afford to live in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando