U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 PM

33 posts, read 34,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we may be moving to Sanford in the next year or so, and I wanted to ask about cost of living. I've done some research on Sperlings, etc. but it would be nice to hear from people who actually live there. We currently live in a 3BR 2 bath 1400 sq ft home on a ~4,000 sq ft lot. Our average utilities are:
* heating/cooling $133/month (in summer thermostat is at 76-79)
* water $122/month
* fiber internet $50/month

Our budget for a home is $160,000 to $200,000 max. Based on these numbers, is it realistic that we could afford to live in Sanford? We are fine with living in a smaller house than our current home if needed. We are not at all handy, so a fixer-upper wouldn't work. We currently live in a lower middle class neighborhood. It's fairly safe as long as you have common sense.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 AM

22,468 posts, read 33,326,217 times
I live in Sanford and while your budget is low there will be a few desirable options for you that would place you in more solidly middle class neighborhoods. As time draws near feel free to personal message me (or now) inquiring about neighborhoods as it's not as clear cut in terms of good versus bad as some cities. The costs I routinely encounter for a smaller two bedroom/two bath villa home (1240 square feet) are $140 a month (FPL budget plan with average billing per month) with AC set at a brisk 70-72 degrees, water is around $80 per month and includes trash removal/recycling as well as reclaimed water irrigation (sprinklers) and internet is $46 (not-fiber, traditional cable)

Old 04-19-2018, 07:10 AM

Thank you very much Kyle! That puts my mind at ease, I was worried electricity would be through the roof due to the heat/humidity. It gets pretty humid here, but our summers aren't as long as summers in FL. My husband is used to them since he was born there, but my girls & I will have to adjust. I will PM you for some tips once we set a date to come down & explore. Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 AM

11,708 posts, read 8,384,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einin View Post
Thank you very much Kyle! That puts my mind at ease, I was worried electricity would be through the roof due to the heat/humidity. It gets pretty humid here, but our summers aren't as long as summers in FL. My husband is used to them since he was born there, but my girls & I will have to adjust. I will PM you for some tips once we set a date to come down & explore. Thanks again for your help!
If you get a 2 story house, your bill can go up drastically. If it's single story, what Kyle said is accurate.
You'll do fine in Sanford on your budget.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Thank you Arcenal, it's good to hear our budget is doable! This will be our first move with kids in tow so it feels a bit more intimidating. I've always lived in a 1-story home--we like to avoid stairs if possible since my husband had ACL reconstruction surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or