Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,378 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Single male here (mid/late 20’s) relocating to Orlando this summer for a job promotion. I currently live in the midwest making 90k, the cost of living isn’t too bad here I’m paying $1,300 for a 2BR loft in a great area downtown. My salary will increase with the move. I don't mind moving down to 1BR, my question is can I expect around the same rent prices in the prime areas of Orlando? I know nothing about Orlando but from quickly researching it seems like Downtown would probably be the place for young professionals to live. Is this still the case? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, being a minority (black) male I would prefer living in a diverse community if possible. Couldn't find this in the midwest but it seems like Orlando will be much more diverse. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 08:58 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
$1,300 for a nice 1 bedroom is definetly doable and downtown is a great area to start your search. I’d check out rental listings at “The Vue” that’s an amazing salary for Orlando, you can live very well, enjoy

Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
I agree with BMW. You will fit right in in the downtown area and your 130k will provide you with a very enjoyable lifestyle as a single young man.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:51 AM

617 posts, read 833,726 times
With your salary it will be very doable and downtown is a great place to be if you're looking to be in the center of it all with nightlife and entertainment.

But no, don't expect a 1 bedroom apartment for $1300. The standard high rise apartments in the downtown core start more in the $1500-$1800 per month range. You won't start seeing $1300 until you start going east towards the milk district or possibly Thornton park.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:55 AM

496 posts, read 520,977 times
You are about to become King of Orlando. Don't spend all your money in one place young fella.

Seriously, move downtown. Either Waverly, Paramount or Star Tower. You can find a 1br in this price range but I would look for a 2br. Extra parking space, guest bathroom/bedroom for just a little more.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,507 times
That is an extremely good salary for Florida and for age. I remember when I graduated with my MBA and first got a job that broke 200k I could finally pay off everything but you still have to save and budget your money well.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 AM

147 posts, read 145,403 times
Just a suggestion. Young, single and making that kind of dough is a great time for reality check. What do I mean? There will be those that will encourage you to spend lavishly because the money is currently there but how about the future? One that is very difficult to forsee definitively.

Personally, living on a budget of less than half of what you make is much easier when single if you commit to, shop around and live frugal when you can. Save a ton of money and invest as well. Don't fall prey to what those of pre-2008 crash did and didn't have 2 red cents to rub together afterward.

Always think what happens if you were to lose a job due to unforeseen illness, market decline, unexpected emergencies, career changes, etc. In Florida, at least at this present time, with your salary, you can go very far by setting yourself up with a good financial foundation. If you do it right you might even place yourself in a position where you can semi-retire early if you'd like and not have to be a slave to an employer and still enjoy life while in your 40'-50's.

If you don't have a GOOD ONE get yourself a financial advisor to help you. You don't really need to live in the city center paying high rents when you can own something nice (condo/home) for less than what you will pay in downtown. Heck, for what you'll pay in downtown you can have a smaller mortgage/rent and car payment plus probably have some left over. You'll have more $$$ to travel, party, etc.

Just a thought.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:33 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
With your salary it will be very doable and downtown is a great place to be if you're looking to be in the center of it all with nightlife and entertainment.

But no, don't expect a 1 bedroom apartment for $1300. The standard high rise apartments in the downtown core start more in the $1500-$1800 per month range. You won't start seeing $1300 until you start going east towards the milk district or possibly Thornton park.
I think it's the other way around. The high rises going toward Thornton Park are more expensive (down Central and Pine Ave going East.

I think OP will find units in his price range along Rosalind, which is pretty much the heart of downtown.

https://www.apartments.com/151-e-was...do-fl/cfslqje/

Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,091,911 times
Mid 20s making that much takes maturity. I lived in Miami in my mid twenties and if I made 130K in 2005 I would of gone crazy partying and traveling. Invest, save, and enjoy a little, not too much!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:16 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,748,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyJ View Post
Hey everyone,

Single male here (mid/late 20’s) relocating to Orlando this summer for a job promotion. I currently live in the midwest making 90k, the cost of living isn’t too bad here I’m paying $1,300 for a 2BR loft in a great area downtown. My salary will increase with the move. I don't mind moving down to 1BR, my question is can I expect around the same rent prices in the prime areas of Orlando? I know nothing about Orlando but from quickly researching it seems like Downtown would probably be the place for young professionals to live. Is this still the case? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, being a minority (black) male I would prefer living in a diverse community if possible. Couldn't find this in the midwest but it seems like Orlando will be much more diverse. Thanks in advance!
I'm a beach lover so I'd pick a beach. That said Cocoa beach is not that nice, but Melbourne is better. If you have to work in Orlando though, that would be one helluva commute. My wife and I just moved here from San Diego almost a year ago. We live in Baldwin Park, but every time we go downtown we wish we had just moved there. It's not a huge downtown, but if you're young it's where some of the best action is. Also check out my map, the area of Virginia Street between Mills Ave and 527 is a fun area. Also Audubon Park is up and coming.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yL...44&usp=sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando