Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:37 PM

43 posts, read 96,375 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Can someone give me some insight about what it is like living in the Legends Golf Community? Are residents and staff friendly or are they a bunch of snobby people? How diverse is the community?
I assume this is one of the safest places to live in Clermont because it's a gated community? I am also aware they have
very strict property guidelines and high HOA fees? I am contemplating possibly
moving into the Legends but would like more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb710 View Post
I assume this is one of the safest places to live in Clermont because it's a gated community?
Never assume something like that.

A lot of gated communities leave their gates open during rush hour in the morning for the traffic going in/out such as residents, school buses, garbage trucks, etc. Some even leave them open during daylight hours for delivery vehicles.

Many are lulled into a false sense of safety in a gated community and criminals know that. A gated community may prevent an inexperienced criminal from entering with his car but that's about it. It won't prevent someone from entering on foot, fences/gates are easily climbed.

Put yourself in the shoes of the criminal. Wouldn't you strike where most people let their guard down?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 PM

Thank you, you have certainly opened my eyes. I thought a gated Community would be more secure especially a Man Gated Community. Safety is very important! The information you provided was very helpful.
You gave me something to think about. I will re-evaluate my decision concerning what is the best choice I should make keeping in mind what you said.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:25 PM

Do I need to be concerned with neighbors, other residents, and visitors regarding safety issues if I am living in a gated community?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 PM

Hello,
I'm reading about alligators in Central Florida and some of the recent incidents with them on homeowner's properties. How would I deal with an encounter with an alligator if I live in a city such as Clermont which is surrounded by beautiful lakes? Are alligators seen frequently on private property and in neighbors pools in the area? Any tips on what to look out for and how to avoid alligators?

Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 PM

Hello,
Can anyone give me an update about what is going within the Legends community since the golf course closed? Is the restaurant still open? What about the quality of life, the property values, and the HOA fees? Did the closing of the golf course make an impact upon any of these things including the future of the lifestyle of living in this upscale gated community?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 PM

419 posts, read 387,429 times
I don't live in the Legends, but I did play their golf course several times. It's sad that it closed. About gators, I've been here a number of years and have only encountered gators a couple of times while playing golf. They stuck to their side of the fairway and ignored us. We live near a protected nature area but have occasionally heard the gators at night. We haven't seen them near the houses. We have a fence around our property, and should they ever decide to try to visit, the fence would keep them out. No gator problems in 22 years here.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:33 AM

Hi,
Has the Legends changed since the golf course was sold? I am constantly seeing alot of houses for sale. I am wondering if the quality of life is still the same and if there is a considerable amount of crime? Even though the Legends is a gated community, I have seen where someone could enter from walking in or climbing over a wall. I would appreciate any information that
you may be willing to share. Thank you.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:52 AM

109 posts, read 110,734 times
bjb710,

You raise a good issue and something worth monitoring- the golf course. That can affect property
values, especially if it gets overgrown from not being maintained.

There is a vote now among the homeowners whether or not the HOA should take over the Golf
Course (which could mean additional HOA fees, perhaps few hundred more per month).

We have friends in Legends and I have golfed there before. It is a nice community and I have met
many great people there.

My only reservation would be the golf course, so you would need to do your due diligence.

Good luck,
@movetoorlando

Old 10-01-2019, 07:41 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb710 View Post
Hi,
Has the Legends changed since the golf course was sold? I am constantly seeing alot of houses for sale. I am wondering if the quality of life is still the same and if there is a considerable amount of crime? Even though the Legends is a gated community, I have seen where someone could enter from walking in or climbing over a wall. I would appreciate any information that
you may be willing to share. Thank you.
You seem to be obsessed with The Legends community. It is but one of many gated communities in Lake County, Florida. I played golf there a couple of times about 2005, but haven't been there since.

My advice in general would be to check out the financial stability of the HOA (Home Owners Association) of any community like that. Also check out the financial condition of the golf course and what would happen if the golf course goes bankrupt. Would it be developed into more homes, grow up into a weed patch, or what? It MIGHT impose a financial burden on all the homeowners either directly or perhaps indirectly by devaluing their property. When you buy into a community like that, you're not just buying a house, you're buying a part of the community and you MIGHT be financially responsible if the community can't pay their bills.

I don't mean to scare you from buying in a gated community (or even a non-gated community) that has a HOA. I live in a gated community myself, but before I bought here, I checked to see that the HOA was on sound financial footing (with over $2 million in a reserve fund), but also checked on the golf course and what would happen if it went under. Both are doing very well here.

There are many nice retirement communities and some all-age communities. Do your homework on any community that you might be considering. Some of them are much more secure (both safety wise and financially) than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando