Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 AM

25 posts, read 48,503 times

Advertisements

We are coming to Orlando next week to tour schools and get a feel for the area. Ideally, I would like to rent before I buy, but if I can find an area I am certain about we would buy.

Requirements include: Good public schools Elementary, Middle, and High, safety, within 30 minutes of airport, within 15 minutes of a family-friendly good golf course/country club. Work from home, but travel once per week. Budget will be around 550k with at least 4 bedrooms. I don't mind renovating an older home or new construction. It's more about location and schools for us.

These are the areas I have on my radar, my questions, etc.

~Windermere (new Windermere)~
Schools-Windermere Elementary, Bridgewater Middle/or their new middle school, Windermere High. I have elementary school children, so the new middle school would be open before they went to middle school. I have no data on the new high school. How's it doing? My main concern is how the growth of Horizon West area and it's stability.

~Maitland~
Schools- Dommerich Elementary, Maitland Middle, Winter Park High. I love the Winter Park area, but I know it is out of budget. Is Maitland the next best thing?

~Oviedo~
Schools- Partin, Chiles, Hagerty. Where do people golf in this area? I see Twin Rivers, but surely that can't be the only course people go to. Is Oviedo considered "really far away from Orlando"?

Any other areas and schools I should tour next week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
For location and amenities it would be pretty tough to beat Maitland in my opinion. The Dommerich Estates area is very well-established and offers a stable environment for kids in what is arguably a much less transient area overall. Your concern of Horizons West is well-founded given Metrowest was rather upscale when it opened, and has devolved considerably when other newer and shinier communities were developed, which is how much of the Orlando metro area has evolved since the 1980s. Dommerich in Maitland is an exception to the rule and think due to it's close proximity to Winter Park's better neighborhoods has held it's own, and no doubt will continue to.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I would add Dr. Phillips to your list. Good schools, very safe area, well-manicured streets, and an easy commute to the airport (some neighborhoods under 20 min). Bay Hill Golf Club is home to the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and there are 4-bedroom homes in Bay Hill under your budget.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I would add Dr. Phillips to your list. Good schools, very safe area, well-manicured streets, and an easy commute to the airport (some neighborhoods under 20 min). Bay Hill Golf Club is home to the Arnold Palmer Invitational, and there are 4-bedroom homes in Bay Hill under your budget.
Agree, not to mention 20-30 mins from all the world famous attractions in Orlando like I drive, Disney.etc and 5-10 mins from universal Studios

Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ510 View Post
We are coming to Orlando next week to tour schools and get a feel for the area. Ideally, I would like to rent before I buy, but if I can find an area I am certain about we would buy.

Requirements include: Good public schools Elementary, Middle, and High, safety, within 30 minutes of airport, within 15 minutes of a family-friendly good golf course/country club. Work from home, but travel once per week. Budget will be around 550k with at least 4 bedrooms. I don't mind renovating an older home or new construction. It's more about location and schools for us.

Schools-Windermere Elementary, Bridgewater Middle/or their new middle school, Windermere High. I have elementary school children, so the new middle school would be open before they went to middle school. I have no data on the new high school. How's it doing? My main concern is how the growth of Horizon West area and it's stability.

~Maitland~
Schools- Dommerich Elementary, Maitland Middle, Winter Park High. I love the Winter Park area, but I know it is out of budget. Is Maitland the next best thing?

~Oviedo~
Schools- Partin, Chiles, Hagerty. Where do people golf in this area? I see Twin Rivers, but surely that can't be the only course people go to. Is Oviedo considered "really far away from Orlando"?

I would add Dr. Phillips to your list since your budget is $550k. I live here and really like it. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods you can get into. My personal favorite is Phillips Landing, but there are a lot of nice ones.

I see one listing in the good part of Winter Park that's in your budget, but yes, you're pretty much priced out. Maitland is a viable option, but it wouldn't be my top choice.

Check out the area AROUND Downtown Windermere. The trees there are gorgeous, it's also safe with good schools too. You can look along Chase Road as well like Keene's Pointe.

I would avoid Oviedo since your budget is $550k. It's better for families on a smaller budget who can't afford Winter Park, Windermere, Dr. Phillips, etc but still want safety and good schools.

I'd also recommend "new" Windermere as well. If you don't mind being further out, it will have a lot of good options for you. Stay not too far from Winter Garden Vineland Rd.

Based on your criteria, Dr. Phillips or Windermere would be the best choice in my opinion.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 05-06-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 02:21 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi;51815884 I would avoid [B
Oviedo [/b]since your budget is $550k. It's better for families on a smaller budget who can't afford Winter Park, Windermere, Dr. Phillips, etc but still want safety and good schools.
Actually Oviedo has a higher average household income than either Dr Phillips or Winter Park, and is chosen by those who want not only a safer environment for themselves and their kids, but also less congestion/lower density along with better schools.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:01 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually Oviedo has a higher average household income than either Dr Phillips or Winter Park, and is chosen by those who want not only a safer environment for themselves and their kids, but also less congestion/lower density along with better schools.
Given the OP's budget, I'd be surprised if he'd want to live in Oviedo, unless he wants to save money and go for a cheaper house. Oviedo is usually one of my main recommendations, but with the OP's budget, there are better located areas in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:41 PM

147 posts, read 145,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ510 View Post

~Maitland~

~Oviedo~

For 550k all of the areas you're speaking of fit the bill in addition to Winter Springs. You can get a very nice home newer or vintage for that budget.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:45 PM

147 posts, read 145,064 times
Quote:
For location and amenities it would be pretty tough to beat Maitland in my opinion. The Dommerich Estates area is very well-established and offers a stable environment for kids in what is arguably a much less transient area overall. Your concern of Horizons West is well-founded given Metrowest was rather upscale when it opened, and has devolved considerably when other newer and shinier communities were developed, which is how much of the Orlando metro area has evolved since the 1980s. Dommerich in Maitland is an exception to the rule and think due to it's close proximity to Winter Park's better neighborhoods has held it's own, and no doubt will continue to.
Central Florida, in general, is pretty transient but there are pockets as you mentioned that aren't AS much.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:01 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Highly doubt that. Care to post links?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando