Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM

187 posts, read 226,829 times

Advertisements

This is a little bit lengthy but I appreciate anyone reading, tia!

My mom 100% wants to move to Orlando. She is there right now and loves it. We are our only family so it's important to stay together, she also has had cancer recently so I'd strongly prefer to stay near her. I'm 22 and recently graduated with my BSN. She is a math teacher/admin but on medical leave atm however she has a job offer there.

We have looked at LOTS of other cities in the south east to move to. We are currently living in NJ and both don't like the cold winter.

I fell in love with Raleigh NC. But I have visited Orlando dozens of times and know what it is like.

I love Orlando too...I like how there are young people around, the weather, the theme parks.

Mainly one thing REALLY WORRIES me and it's that I am a dog owner, and I worry about walking dogs in Florida.

In NJ, I can drive out to a park where there's farms all around it and I would let my dogs off leash and we'd hike. One of my dogs recently died from cancer. My other dog is part GSD and can't run far. So this is how I have been with dogs all my life. I'm 22 and had dogs since I was 2 and we have always gone to fields or woods to hike for hours when I had a free day.

But how do I/you walk dogs in Florida? This might seem so silly to natives! But I know without a doubt dogs can't be off leash in florida near any fresh water, and I really wouldn't let my dogs off leash anywhere else either really. I know I will no longer be going on long hikes and sitting by a lake. I'll miss that but I'm also entering grad school for nurse practitioner and I'm going to be busier working as an RN FT also. I plan to adopt another dog after I move though and, my questions are, how do you walk your dogs, where are good places to take them to, can we sit at a park outside, what parks do you recommend, are the streets too hot for their paws?? And what about large dogs in FL are they too hot outside? Are the ticks and fleas relentless even with treatment on the dogs? (in NJ, the ticks are getting immune to topical treatments)

Thank you. I can be a major worrier when it comes to my dogs. Anyone watch GoT? Well with my dogs I'm like Danearys with her dragons.

P.S. we would plan to get an indoor salt water pool --so I could let a dog exercise that way.. do they like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
It's no different than any other city really. I've lived in Australia, Alaska, Washington, California and have dogs in every location.

There are lots of off-leash dog parks in Orlando. While most lakes I wouldn't let your dog swim in the lake, Lake Baldwin Park has a massive fenced dog park that's on Lake Baldwin, there are tons of dogs in the water there, so I wouldn't be concerned there, it doesn't mean there is zero risk, but you get the point. There are also beaches nearby within 1-1.5 hour drive that allow dogs. I've never had a dog get ticks or worms in Florida, but I use Advantix and Heartguard monthly. There are plenty of big dogs, furry dogs, etc in Florida. Every house here has a/c, so as long as you don't plan to make your dog live outside, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
I really wouldn’t worry about it. I know plenty of people who have had large breed dogs. I’ve seen people walking their huskies around. There’s public dog parks around; I second the one at Lake Baldwin as being particularly great. Yes the pavement can get hot in the summer, so try to keep dogs on the grass or on light colored sidewalks.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:02 AM

617 posts, read 832,714 times
^Agreed. Just be mindful that it does get scorching hot here and the pavement can hurt their pads. Also we do have pretty strict leash laws when walking dogs. Even if we didn't, I would still keep my dog on a leash because of all the ponds and lakes here. Anywhere there's a body of water bigger than a puddle, it should be assumed that there is a gator in there. There are a lot of off-leash dog parks that people frequently all over Orlando. Our dog loves going and running around and interacting with all the other dogs.

Also don't realistically expect to have an indoor pool for your home, unless your housing budget is more than $2 Million. All the pools in Florida are outdoors because they can be used year-round. Our dog loves jumping in pools and it's a great way to cool them off during our long summers, so I would recommend a pool if that's important to you.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Outdoor pools are so much nicer too, you don't have to smell chlorine in the air and worry about mildew problems.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I have 7 dogs, I use Comfortis for fleas and ticks and have no issues as a result. rentals can be a challenge with pets but doable. ownership is much easier.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post

But how do I/you walk dogs in Florida? This might seem so silly to natives! But I know without a doubt dogs can't be off leash in florida near any fresh water, and I really wouldn't let my dogs off leash anywhere else either really. I know I will no longer be going on long hikes and sitting by a lake. I'll miss that but I'm also entering grad school for nurse practitioner and I'm going to be busier working as an RN FT also. I plan to adopt another dog after I move though and, my questions are, how do you walk your dogs, where are good places to take them to, can we sit at a park outside, what parks do you recommend, are the streets too hot for their paws?? And what about large dogs in FL are they too hot outside? Are the ticks and fleas relentless even with treatment on the dogs? (in NJ, the ticks are getting immune to topical treatments) P.S. we would plan to get an indoor salt water pool --so I could let a dog exercise that way.. do they like that?
You can convert an existing in-ground pool to a saltwater pool pretty easily (for around a few hundred dollars) and would make sure it has a patio screen enclosure from the get-go to insure protection from mosquitoes for both you and the dogs. Saltwater would be far better for the dogs (and you) than chlorine/other chemicals and while needing more oversight for water quality checks well worth it given the benefits in my opinion. There are a good many dog parks to depending upon where you choose to live that'll be welcome options for exercise outdoors. Fleas (not so much ticks) and mosquitoes/heartworms are pretty much a concern most of the year, so consistent treatment is a necessity. I like Trifexis for heartworm prevention because it also handles as a preventative for fleas, ticks and worms (important if utilizing dog parks in my opinion). https://www.yelp.com/search?start=0&...29408419396637

Old 06-17-2018, 02:14 PM

89 posts, read 81,896 times
Park central is a very dog friendly place. If you rent you are going to have a difficult time finding a place that allows dogs.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:22 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
I'm with you. I am a crazy dog person and worry so much about mine. It's actually part of the reason I'm moving. I miss being able to play with my dog in a cool setting. During the winter it's fine, but it starts getting pretty warm around May and through September (at least for play). I see a lot of dogs out though, and most don't seem to mind, but mine is very fluffy.

That being said, there are a LOT of dog parks. We go to the Lake Baldwin one frequently, although I never let him swim. But I do see lots of dogs swimming and while there are signs about gators, I've never seen one.

Other than that, Orlando is surprisingly dog friendly. There are lots of restaurants that allow your dog on the patio and even a few that allow them to come inside. It should only really be a problem June through September, but if you have your own pool then they can play there. And like I said, plenty of dogs seem fine, even playing in the 85-90 degree heat. There is a daily dog happy hour that occurs at the park across the street from me, from 5-7. Most are off leash (although the law states they shouldn't be, but they are). I'll rent you my condo and let you have your dogs. We are moving soon. it's a 3/2.5 townhome with a small backyard and a doggy door. Although, if your dog is large you may need to put it a larger door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: